View Poll Results: What do you think about the app prices?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fine be me. No complaints.

18 21.95%
  • Prices are fine, but app quality/selection is insufficient.

38 46.34%
  • Prices are too high, but app quality/selection is sufficient.

13 15.85%
  • You mean all those tens of thousands of free iPhones apps don't work on the Pre?!?!

13 15.85%
  1.    #1  
    As the app catalog now has mostly paid apps coming in every day, I'm curious to see how folks are reacting to the prices.
    Just need some big name apps, and we'll be fine. Hopefully we'll get some ones from some major companies/developers.
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
    The question really is, Who cares? either buy it or don't. It's called capitalism, if the prices are too high then they will have to fall. If people buy it a those prices then they will remain the same. simple.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I think the developers are a tad overoptimistic in what the public will pay. I think most every app in the catalog or even home brew (that plans to become a real app) are in the free range.

I know the devs have worked very hard and they have expenses. I appreciate their work and responded with paypal donations. Times are tough all over and I don't know if they realize that they can make more money selling several apps at .99 than a few at $2.99 or more.

As free enterprise plays out, I hope it encourages the devs to make better quality apps. I am more than willing to pay for an app that does something that I can't do. I don't want to pay for an app with a slick interface that just does a simple task I can do, such as compute a tip or mark an item on a checklist. I hope prices become more in line with the iPhone than the dreaded Handango and other Palm apps of the past.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    More competition will definitely get the prices to drop. As the catalog gets more apps you will see more reasonable prices.
  6. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    IMO you need an option that is both:

Prices are fine, but app quality/selection is insufficient OR Prices are too high, but app quality/selection is sufficient.

Because IMO some prices are good for the apps, but the higher priced ones are of insufficient quality to command that level of price. That may well be down to the limitations of the SDK as much as anything.
    Last edited by ldj; 10/24/2009 at 11:16 AM.
    u jnow wats ridiculous pack n track app is $8, i can go on fedex.com and track my package 4 free, friendsflow also charges u 4 things u can do on facebook 4 free! y are these app developers want 2 charge u 4 sumthing that should b 4 free? even twitter apps cost atleast $2! im not hating on da app catalog but 4 da good of app catalog sum prices of these apps r ridiculous! just imho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dshowtime718 View Post
    u jnow wats ridiculous pack n track app is $8, i can go on fedex.com and track my package 4 free, friendsflow also charges u 4 things u can do on facebook 4 free! y are these app developers want 2 charge u 4 sumthing that should b 4 free? even twitter apps cost atleast $2! im not hating on da app catalog but 4 da good of app catalog sum prices of these apps r ridiculous! just imho!
    Just out of curiosity--was it really easier for you to write this way? I'd have to really work at it...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    For me it's not the price, it's the apps. I got to agree with idj here, we need better apps.
    Better apps will require a SDK that isn't crippled.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Wow, are you serious? u no wat i b sayin'?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts

This is what happens when an 10 year old's mommy buys him a Pre.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    The question really is, Who cares? either buy it or don't. It's called capitalism, if the prices are too high then they will have to fall. If people buy it a those prices then they will remain the same. simple.
    That may be true, but the customer has to pay the price of time for waiting for more competition to come in, and thus prices to fall. I kinda wish they were just low to begin with. Then again, maybe this will prevent all that iPhone glut that is present. Only time will tell.
    im 28 btw
    i say this gives apple iphone the advantage
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Just out of curiosity--was it really easier for you to write this way? I'd have to really work at it...
    im 28 btw
    Does your keyboard have any "shift" or "punctuation" keys at all?

(You have to be typing on a computer, the pre would at least auto-fix some of that)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Better apps will require a SDK that isn't crippled.
    So So true m8....

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    This is what happens when an 10 year old's mommy buys him a Pre.
    So So true m8....

im 28 btw
    Really???

You did read this right??? It's a forum, we don't have a 160 letter limit. WoW!!!

10 posts and this comment, I'd say..... you use a Iphone???
    The app catalog currently is a mixed bag.