1.    #1  
    I've spent quite a while searching around on the forums looking for this problem, and have not found any answers. I have also tried searching on Google, to no avail. Either my searching skills are terrible, or no one has asked this yet...

When I first got my Pre (launch day), I chose to manually put music onto my Pre by putting it into USB Drive mode, and copying stuff over. A few weeks ago, I installed the Music Player Remix app, and decided to start syncing my music through iTunes. I didn't realize it, but I left 18 songs on my Pre when I fist installed Music Player Remix and then started syncing through iTunes.

Here's where is starts to get confusing. I realized these songs were still inmy "Music" folder on my Pre a few days ago and deleted them...Now, I cannot FIND the files on my Pre anywhere in USB mode, but both Music Player Remix AND Palm's standard music player can find them and play them.

Additionally, I have gDial installed, and there is a random voicemail that shows up in my music player also.

Before anyone asks, I tried deleting and reinstalling Music Player Remix, and that did not solve the problem.

Would anyone have any suggestions on where these items are being stored and how I might go about removing them?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmodiar View Post
    I've spent quite a while searching around on the forums looking for this problem, and have not found any answers. I have also tried searching on Google, to no avail. Either my searching skills are terrible, or no one has asked this yet...

When I first got my Pre (launch day), I chose to manually put music onto my Pre by putting it into USB Drive mode, and copying stuff over. A few weeks ago, I installed the Music Player Remix app, and decided to start syncing my music through iTunes. I didn't realize it, but I left 18 songs on my Pre when I fist installed Music Player Remix and then started syncing through iTunes.

Here's where is starts to get confusing. I realized these songs were still inmy "Music" folder on my Pre a few days ago and deleted them...Now, I cannot FIND the files on my Pre anywhere in USB mode, but both Music Player Remix AND Palm's standard music player can find them and play them.

Additionally, I have gDial installed, and there is a random voicemail that shows up in my music player also.

Before anyone asks, I tried deleting and reinstalling Music Player Remix, and that did not solve the problem.

Would anyone have any suggestions on where these items are being stored and how I might go about removing them?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    While music added with Media Monkey or similar adds music to the Music folder, iTunes literally hides music on the Pre. In order to delete the iTunes music, you can either delete them from within iTunes (easiest) or when using the Pre in USB or Media mode, you'd need to have your computer "Display Hidden Files". After displaying hidden files, you'll find iTunes and Music sub-folder where you can delete the mp3's that way, but you won't be able to tell what is that you're looking at because iTunes encodes the names in gibberish random text.....The easiest way to delete the mp3's is to delete the songs you added in iTunes from within iTunes....Hope that helps....
    iTunes is the devil. Why would you use that over drag and drop? I'll never understand.
    I hate itunes but I use it over drag and drop so I can have playlists on my pre...
    I was unaware that iTunes was the only program that created playlists.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    While music added with Media Monkey or similar adds music to the Music folder, iTunes literally hides music on the Pre. In order to delete the iTunes music, you can either delete them from within iTunes (easiest) or when using the Pre in USB or Media mode, you'd need to have your computer "Display Hidden Files". After displaying hidden files, you'll find iTunes and Music sub-folder where you can delete the mp3's that way, but you won't be able to tell what is that you're looking at because iTunes encodes the names in gibberish random text.....The easiest way to delete the mp3's is to delete the songs you added in iTunes from within iTunes....Hope that helps....
    I'm sorry...I don't think I made myself clear here...

I know how do find hidden folders, and I have checked all of them looking for these audio files. They simply do not exist as far as I can tell. The mp3's in question are actually not in iTunes period. Doing a search on the drive in USB mode results in no results, yet both the standard Music Player as well as Music Player Remix are both still able to find and play these.

Thanks for trying to help though...
  7.    #7  
    Bumping, hoping for some help...
  8. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Bumping, hoping for some help...
    I'm sorry my previous reply wasn't of immediate help to you, but I'm not quite sure I see how it's possible that the subject mp3's are not showing on the Palm Pre device in iTunes, and can't be found on the Pre in USB mode even while displaying hidden files. I respectfully suggest that you might be missing something in iTunes and/or in displaying hidden folders on the Pre. Are you checking the Palm Pre device in iTunes (not your computer's music library), and are the folders you're checking in USB mode lighter than the non-hidden folders in USB mode? If I'm mistaken, you've got me stumped....
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    I'm sorry my previous reply wasn't of immediate help to you, but I'm not quite sure I see how it's possible that the subject mp3's are not showing on the Palm Pre device in iTunes, and can't be found on the Pre in USB mode even while displaying hidden files. I respectfully suggest that you might be missing something in iTunes and/or in displaying hidden folders on the Pre. Are you checking the Palm Pre device in iTunes (not your computer's music library), and are the folders you're checking in USB mode lighter than the non-hidden folders in USB mode? If I'm mistaken, you've got me stumped....
    NO apologies needed...I'm just as lost as you are.

I swear I'm not an *****, I actually build my own computers as a hobby, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

The Files in question (the Eminem - Relapse) does not exist in iTunes, is not in the iTunes library folder, and are nowhere to be found in any of the hidden files on the Pre.

They, however, are not the only audio file in question...I have a voicemail from a friend of mine that I listened to through gDial, and that shows up in my Pre's music library as well, though it also does not exist in any of the hidden/non hidden folders on the Pre.

I'm completely lost...
    If you have root access, try this:

cd /
    find . | grep Relapse

Good luck
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by thesnowdog View Post
    If you have root access, try this:

cd /
    find . | grep Relapse

Good luck
    I do not have root access, and I have no idea how to go about this...

This was, however, my best guess that somehow these files ended up in root...
  12.    #12  
    Ok...I now have root access...but I completely lack command line knowledge...would someone be kind enough to help me out?

Thanks!

Edit - OK, I played around a little and found the Google Voice voicemail that was magically on my phone:

find . | grep Dd42

./media/internal/Recycled/Dd42.mp3

What do I do with this?
    Last edited by Ozmodiar; 10/29/2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Update
  13.    #13  
    I'm making headway!

root@castle:/# cd ./media
    cd ./media
    root@castle:/media# cd ./internal
    cd ./internal
    root@castle:/media/internal# cd ./Recycled
    cd ./Recycled
    root@castle:/media/internal/Recycled# ls
    ls
    Dd17.mp3 Dd22.mp3 Dd27.mp3 Dd32.jpg Dd37.sfv Dd42.mp3
    Dd18.mp3 Dd23.mp3 Dd28.mp3 Dd33.jpg Dd38.mp3 Dd43.ipk
    Dd19.mp3 Dd24.mp3 Dd29.mp3 Dd34.jpg Dd39.mp3 INFO2
    Dd20.mp3 Dd25.mp3 Dd30.mp3 Dd35.m3u Dd40.mp3 desktop.ini
    Dd21.mp3 Dd26.mp3 Dd31.mp4 Dd36.nfo Dd41.mp3
    root@castle:/media/internal/Recycled#

Now, to figure out how to delete them...
  14.    #14  
    Thanks to my little brother for helping me out.

I'm down to this:

ls
    Dd43.ipk INFO2 desktop.ini

I'm pretty sure the .ipk is one of the apps I installed at some point, but I don't know if it's safe to remove it...

Would anyone have any idea how to figure out what "INFO2" and "desktop.ini" are?
    Hi, I have come across the same situation with my mp3 files. I deleted my mp3's songs through windows media player and USB mode, but also got that the songs where still in my Pre Music player, so what I ended up doing was a hard reset, but first got all my files and backed them up on my PC. This worked for me, all I had to do was reinstall my music and pics etc.... I don't have a clue why it keeps doing this or what is the correct way to delete mp3's from phone.
    Thanks to my little brother for helping me out.

I'm down to this:

ls
    Dd43.ipk INFO2 desktop.ini

I'm pretty sure the .ipk is one of the apps I installed at some point, but I don't know if it's safe to remove it...

Would anyone have any idea how to figure out what "INFO2" and "desktop.ini" are?
    Are you using a MAC to connect to your Pre? If so it creates a trash or recycled folder on your USB drive. Your "ghost" files are there.

OMG... this thread is a year old.... AGHHHHH!
    Last edited by pastorrich1; 10/15/2010 at 01:43 PM. Reason: OLD THREAD
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups