Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Don't get me wrong I love this phone and am convinced it's the best phone on the market.

However the speed dial is so buggy it actually hurts the phones overall experience. I mean sometimes it works (usually only after a reset), sometimes it will just bring up the persons speed dial preset ( only with the slider open-the number assoc with the persons speed dial setting ie: 3), sometimes if you hold the button on the screen so the number shows up on the screen then minimize the card it will call the person right away ( usually with slider closed-not kidding try it), and then finally it sometimes doesn't do anything at all (this is usually when the slider is closed).

This is the one thing that I think was just crazy to release the phone with initially. Especially when it worked so sweet on the 755, and you had to know that the customers would be expecting at least close to the same ease of use.

Why not fix this in 1.2? I mean what got fixed or turned on in 1.2 that negatively effects people this much and on such a regular basis?

I wouldn't be making this post if it didn't suck as bad as it does when you have a Touchstone in your car and you just want to call someone with the slider closed with one touch.

Please fix this soon.
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    The Photo Dialer lets you call with one touch.
    Yes, I've found speed dial via the on-screen keypad to be pretty flaky as well. Just one of the issues with the dialer than need fixing--with overall responsiveness being key.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by waddle View Post
    Don't get me wrong I love this phone and am convinced it's the best phone on the market.

However the speed dial is so buggy it actually hurts the phones overall experience. I mean sometimes it works (usually only after a reset), sometimes it will just bring up the persons speed dial preset ( only with the slider open-the number assoc with the persons speed dial setting ie: 3), sometimes if you hold the button on the screen so the number shows up on the screen then minimize the card it will call the person right away ( usually with slider closed-not kidding try it), and then finally it sometimes doesn't do anything at all (this is usually when the slider is closed).

This is the one thing that I think was just crazy to release the phone with initially. Especially when it worked so sweet on the 755, and you had to know that the customers would be expecting at least close to the same ease of use.

Why not fix this in 1.2? I mean what got fixed or turned on in 1.2 that negatively effects people this much and on such a regular basis?

I wouldn't be making this post if it didn't suck as bad as it does when you have a Touchstone in your car and you just want to call someone with the slider closed with one touch.

Please fix this soon.

sometimes if you hold the button on the screen so the number shows up on the screen then minimize the card it will call the person right away

Thats so cool! It only works when minimizing with a swipe up from the gesture area, not with the button. Still, at least that seems to work everytime. Other than that, I understand your concern with the speed dial.

What I do is when the slider is open, I tap the letter of the speed dial, and if it doesn't happen to dial the number, I just tap the screen at the top of the speed dials contact. Definitely very glitchy.

Maybe I'll try the photo dialer instead...
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    2nd vote for Photo Dialer... works perfect.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevis View Post
    2nd vote for Photo Dialer... works perfect.
    ooohh how i want to love the damn photo dialer, but how it lags sooooo...=)

same with quick contacts. =(
    what to do what to do. Just saw htc hero vid n instinct hd ( although not a smart phone) but seemed like no lag at all on those phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    what to do what to do. Just saw htc hero vid n instinct hd ( although not a smart phone) but seemed like no lag at all on those phones.
    I don't know what to say except

there will always be a faster phone on the horizon. especially if you get a hero with a really old processor (2 or 3 years i believe) that is much slower than the new devices about to be released, though much better optimized than the current webOS.

if you buy a 3gs today, it will probably, almost likely be eclipsed by the motorola droid in a few months, or perhaps the palm pre running webOS v2 in six or the N900 or whatever, phones move, and right now they are moving fast.

these omap3 (Pre 3gs n900 moto Droid/sholes) will likely be eclipsed by snapdragon and the like. plus omap4 moves into production with multicore processing in january i believe.

The iphones competition is closing the gap, and the race is ON.

apples app catalog dominance will become functionally less and less meaningless in time, as developers continue android, winmo dev, and yes, even maemo and WebOS.

Its going to keep moving, so, if your phone works for you, sit back relax, enjoy whatever updates we get, and upgrade in a year.

or if you have the dough, buy them all and have a shoot out, whatever its freaking cellphone Christmas out there.

OHH, and the original reason i came on this thread,

yea i get that funky speed dial behavior as well, its inconsistent for me, sometimes it dials, sometimes it just brings up the number sometimes it dosn't do much of anything. and the behavior if i use the onscreen dial pad is less predictable.

i would say for keyboard it works 85% of the time perfectly 10% funky, and 5% not at all.

adding to the list of things i want fixed.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    If you are looking for absolute speed, try LaunchPoint Speed Dial. There is no faster way to dial. Create photo icons right in the launcher. Group a bunch on one page to create the speediest photo dial experience possible. For even faster dialing, drop your most frequently dialed contact ( or 2 or 3 or 4 ) right in the quick launch bar.

If your have the "add pages to launcher" tweak, or the 4x4 or 4x5 launcher tweaks, even better.

Note, if you want true speed dialing, be sure to create a dedicated dial launchpoint. If you want to be able to dial, email and text from a single launchpoint, create a popup launchpoint.
    LaunchPoint Speed Dial - There's no faster way to dial, email, or text, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2jzgze View Post
    ooohh how i want to love the damn photo dialer, but how it lags sooooo...=)

same with quick contacts. =(
    I typically just leave Quick Contacts card up and running (& I like it vs photo dialer as I can do one touch dial - using "preferred" - or hold to get all #'s sms, etc...)
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    All of these apps being mentioned and people leaving cards open is ridiculous. Nothing is better than either hitting a button when the slider is open or hitting a number when the slider is closed. I shouldn't have to go to a card then tap something. I shouldn't have to put icons on my launcher (which you still have to get to and find, when I know what key and where the key is when I use the native speed dial) pages use speed dial.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Glad to know I'm not the only suffering with this rather pathetic implementation of speed dial. My cell phone from years ago had better, reliable speed dial. Seems like a core component Palm overlooked. Most of the speed dial attempts end with me in a very sour mood and questioning my choice of phone. Pre has so much going for it, but as I run hand in hand with WebOS, I keep smacking my knee into things.
    Sounds like want voice dialing.
  14. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Speed dialing via the keypad for me always works. 100%. Press and hold for about 2-3 seconds, number dialed. Perfect. But im back on 1.1.3 in the UK. Maybe they broke it in later releases?

All these speed dials are fantastic, coming from WinMo which had no such native functionality...
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    sometimes if you hold the button on the screen so the number shows up on the screen then minimize the card it will call the person right away

Thats so cool! It only works when minimizing with a swipe up from the gesture area, not with the button. Still, at least that seems to work everytime. Other than that, I understand your concern with the speed dial.

What I do is when the slider is open, I tap the letter of the speed dial, and if it doesn't happen to dial the number, I just tap the screen at the top of the speed dials contact. Definitely very glitchy.

Maybe I'll try the photo dialer instead...
    Yup... when i found that out earlier, I only use that now... very quick... and i recommend it to everyone
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Works the first time perhaps 3/4's of the time. If it doesn't work the first time I erase the number and try it again. Almost always it will work the second time around. Would be nice if they could fix it though.
    I always used speed dial on my other phone, but never use it now... I have launchpoints for contacts, but I never seem to use them. I always open the phone app and start typing their name.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Recently, after installing the "Launcher auto popup" patch, speed dials have been working very nicely for me. Anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by worthb View Post
    If you are looking for absolute speed, try LaunchPoint Speed Dial. There is no faster way to dial.
    I just installed this and am very impressed. I had actually made a thread earlier today complaining about the same thing. I didn't like QuickContacts since it would take the opening of two apps just to make a call or send a sms. This app is much faster and tolerable. Good job.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Yes to Voice Dialing. I miss it soooooo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast