Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Could you please tell us Pre wannabes a few things about Sprint's distribution pattern to various outlets--

(1) Where you bought it? (Sprint Corp Store, Sprint Agent Store, Sprint Telesales, BestBuy, RadioShack, Amazon, Let's Talk, Wirefly, etc.)
    (2) What day did you buy it?
    (3) What version of WebOS came with it?
    (4) What was the build date? **
    NEW: (5) Any build issues, if possible?

** I do believe the build date is found by looking at the warranty date after going to your phone's dial pad and typing ##786#

If one wants a Pre from the freshest batch, are there any 3rd party stores/sites that can keep up directly with Sprint Corp Stores and Sprint Telesales? Maybe even Telesales is still sending out old batches. I read a guy say he had one with a build date of 10/7 and it's flawless for him... no uneven backlight, no wobble, etc.

Thanks a lot!!
    Last edited by grndslm; 10/25/2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Could you please tell us Pre wannabes a few things --

(1) Where you bought it? (Sprint Corp Store, Sprint Agent Store, Sprint Telesales, BestBuy, RadioShack, Amazon, Let's Talk, Wirefly, etc.)
    (4) What was the build date?

I'm not sure if that last one is found by looking at the warranty date at ##786# or what, but I think that's how it works.

I don't know if my local Sprint store would have the freshest batches or if I should go with Sprint telesales?? Maybe they're even still sending out old batches. I read a guy say he had one with a build date of 10/7 and it's flawless for him... no uneven backlight, no wobble, etc.

Thanks a lot!!
    Yesterday. Sprint Corp Store. 1.1.0 9/15/09.
    Looked at 3. This was the least sloppy, but sloppy nonetheless. Even moreso than mine with a warranty code date of 5/25/09 (picked up 6/5/09) or my wife's which is sort of in between the 2. They're all sloppy.

Anyone that tells you there's isn't may be a bit confused as to what they're looking for. I've literally looked at and touched 50+ of them. They're ALL loose. It really isn't a big deal. It's not gonna spin like the late Soupy's bow tie. Nor is it gonna fall off.

Be more concerned about stuff that matters, like numerous dead pixels from start up. By the way, the "light leakage" thing is way overblown, too.

YMMV.

bj
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I got mine last Saturday the 17th. It came with 1.1.0. I can't tell you any more because that one is deactivated and packed up for return, and the really sloppy refurb they sent me is sitting here in it's place (and I'm not at all pleased!)
    I just might... but I feel like they prolly won't cut me any great deal on the pre where I walk out the store with it in hand for $100. If they did that for a new account... sure, I'd jump all over it.

I'm really trying to see what RS & BB phones are looking like... and Amazon... and all the other retailers... just outta curiosity. I already said this isn't about me. I'm curious about the distribution of phones to other retailers. What's the warranty date?!? Everybody now!! No more questions! Hail Grndslm!
    I think you're worried about something you will have no control over. In other words, it's the luck of the draw.

I still have a launch day Pre, build date of 05/14/09, with no light leakage, no dead pixels, no oreo effect, power button still feels normal, no crashes or spontaneous resets.

Pretty much still like the day it came out of the box. I just don't care for the low memory issues.

Hate to join the party poopers, but I don't see getting enough data to tell you anything meaningful, at least not if you plan to buy this year.

Anyway...

1. Sprint COR
    2. 9/15
    3. 1.1
    4. Mid August
    Bought mine at Sprint store about a week ago. I'm on my second phone. Build date on the first was about 8/20 I think. I thought the one they gave me was pretty solid. The screen was dead-pixel free, no light leaks, slight wobble which I assume is normal. But after about a day it would crash periodically when I closed the screen.

Took it back they gave me a new one no questions asked when I told them the problem. The new one was built 9/12. First one had a pearl colored home button. The new one has a titanium colored button and earpiece. I think these are the most recent builds. Phone is solid, wobble-effect was even lighter than the first, no screen issues, and the keyboard feels better. Oh, and they both had 1.1 installed.
    Mine shipped from Sprint Corporate/Enterprise Sales last Friday and has WarrantyDateCode (Manufacture) of 10/08/2009 [woot!]

Not certain of WebOS version, but I *did* have to upgrade
    --Steve

Visor-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 800W-->Palm Pre-->HP Touchpad

My DVD Collection
    My Media Room
    GovTwit Directory
    Twitter: @dslunceford
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Sprint store
    purchased sept 15 iirc
    Manu 8/24
    1.1.0 webos stock
    Sprint Store
    exchanged for broken phone on 10/6
    Web OS 1.1
    Build Date: 9/04/2009

Phone is in great shape. No oreo effect, dead pixels, light leakage...etc
    Haven't experienced any issues as of this time.
    Sprint Brick & Mortar store, no onsite repair
    Brand new, 10/7
    Web OS 1.1
    Warranty Date Code 8/16/09.

edit: is there somewhere to find out what these things mean in the "##786#" window?
    Last edited by Mike_NJ; 10/27/2009 at 08:50 PM.
  11.    #11  
    The build date is the warranty date found when you go to the phone's dialpad and type ##786#
    Sprint Ready Now Store

And even though you are emphatically not interested, no Oreo, no dead pixels, no screen bleed, no cracks on casing or under screen, and no problem understanding how to open and close the USB cover causing me to think it's a poor design or shoddy build.
    Sprint Store, bought 10/12/2009
    Warranty Date Code 07/31/2009 Hardware Revision A
    WebOS version 1.2.1 now (unsure what it came with, it updated right away)

No oreo, no dead pixels, perfect!!!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottitude View Post
    ... And even though you are emphatically not interested, no Oreo, no dead pixels, no screen bleed, no cracks...
    My bad. The deleted post was for the thread crappers earlier. I corrected the first post to add build issues. Thanks.

I'm really still wanting to hear from those who bought from TheShack, BestBuy, Amazon, etc. I know you're out there!!
    Last edited by grndslm; 10/25/2009 at 10:27 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Edited the first post and deleted the one that was merged from the other thread.

Hopefully somebody within the past month has bought from a 3rd party store (RS, BB, Walmart, etc.) or site (Amazon, Let's Talk, Wirefly, etc.)!!! The more data points, the better!!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Could you please tell us Pre wannabes a few things about Sprint's distribution pattern to various outlets--

(4) What was the build date? **
    NEW: (5) Any build issues, if possible?

** I do believe the build date is found by looking at the warranty date after going to your phone's dial pad and typing ##786#

If one wants a Pre from the freshest batch, are there any 3rd party stores/sites that can keep up directly with Sprint Corp Stores and Sprint Telesales? Maybe even Telesales is still sending out old batches. I read a guy say he had one with a build date of 10/7 and it's flawless for him... no uneven backlight, no wobble, etc.

Thanks a lot!!
    1.)Online in the sprint website.
    2.)9/14
    3.)1.1
    4.)8/12/09
    5.)None
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    why do you guys buy from the corp store? you pay more and send in mail in rebates, why not buy from best buy and skip the rebates that you may or may not get back?
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 10/27/2009 at 10:17 PM.
  18.    #18  
    Well... my theory is that BB & RS have older batches of Pres that they're probly still selling, while Sprint stores are usually handing out batches that were made within the past month or so of purhase.

Still can't really tell because most everybody seems to be purchasing directly from Sprint, which is the way I'll most likely do it. But I didn't expect everybody to share my same thoughts.
    5 days back at sams club, 1.1 software, no oreo or dead pixels although I have YET to see a single pre including mine that does not have light leakage, basically at the corner edges of the screen,,,,battery life is weird GOD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    btw all radios off screen brightness at almost totally low, no cards open no calls, just a few text, all email set to manual....i DONT understand this yet there are maybe a hand full of users getting amazing battery life with full brightness auto checking email wifi on gps on....tons of calls n text....id do anything to get one of those phones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast