Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I mean seriously .99 to make your pre moo!!! Those kind of nonsense apps should be free... I mean cmon Palm step it up!! Release all the proper sdk and apis so we can get decent apps like shazam at least.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    at least you can make it fart for free
    I've found hawaiijedi's rattle. Has anyone found his other toys?
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Don't buy them.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    I think someone has waited 5 months to get revenge on the iFart joke..
    When the Pre first came out, people were talking about how powerful the hardware was and how it had the potential to have apps on par with iPhone apps. Critics said that the WebOS would be capable of little more than glorified web apps. It seems the critics were correct. Even so, these apps are better than what was available for phones pre-iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiijedi View Post
    I mean seriously .99 to make your pre moo!!! Those kind of nonsense apps should be free... I mean cmon Palm step it up!! Release all the proper sdk and apis so we can get decent apps like shazam at least.
    I mean seriously, nobody is asking you to buy it or even give it a "book cover" review.

You need to realize that there will be people that think this app is worth 99 cents. In the real world, things you may like, will be deemed as garbage to some.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    When the Pre first came out, people were talking about how powerful the hardware was and how it had the potential to have apps on par with iPhone apps. Critics said that the WebOS would be capable of little more than glorified web apps. It seems the critics were correct. Even so, these apps are better than what was available for phones pre-iPhone.
    Does Sprint NAV feel like a web app to you? What about classic?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    people are never going to be hapy when the pre came out they were b#** because there were no apps, now that we have apps all people do is complain about them???? I think the developers of the apps have an email or web page complains should be going the instead of cluttering up this forum..just my 2 cents
    Sorry. I couldn't disagree more. I haven't seen a "Gotta buy that phone because of this app" yet, but I haven't seen that for any app yet (for me).

Twee does far more than a "glorified web app". So does GDial Pro and ToppleBall, to name a few. They may not be what you're looking for, and that's fine, there are lots of phones out there for you to look at for "better"; but the apps are coming, and that's a good thing.

Much like whiners, there will always be some bad apps out there...
    I had a cheap flip phone from Sprint several years ago that did Sprint NAV. Believe it or not, basic navigation is not all that demanding. I don't know about Classic. From what I can tell, the Pre apps are fine as long as they are not compared to a more advanced class of app.

I have said this all along. The Pre should never be compared to the iPhone. It should find its niche and do well there. It beats Symbian and seems to match up well with Android. In that arena, it looks pretty good.
    The Pre has been on the market for just under 5 months. When it's been on the market for as long as the iPhone (or even as long as Android), then folks will have room to talk.

And note that this is not the same as saying that Palm shouldn't have to compete with the iPhone and Android because of the newness of WebOS. Clearly, they do--and I'm sure they're quite aware of that fact. But that's a separate issue.

In absolute terms, the reality is that WebOS is brand new, the SDK is brand new, and both suffer from that newness. As Palm has time to add functionality to the SDK, they will. Expecting Palm to magically inject every feature and function into the SDK when they're still developing the OS is simply unrealistic.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    hmmmm I'd say when we have a solid video recording app... I'm all set!

I went from a Treo to this, and I've impressed all the iPhone users at my work repeatedly with all the things the Pre can do that their iPhones fail to do...
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The Pre has been on the market for just under 5 months. When it's been on the market for as long as the iPhone (or even as long as Android), then folks will have room to talk.
    Palm has been making phones for ages. WebOS may be new, but the company knows exactly what they are doing and get no such pass. Apple has been in the phone business for two years, google, even less.
    just out of curiosity do people really have that hard of a time figuring out how much to tip that we need 15 tip calculators?
    Its pretty simple I can save you from having to take your phone out of your pocket. simply subtract the last # from your bill and move the decimal point one # to the left. You now have 10% of your bill if your service was good double that amount and you now have a 20% tip. If your service was not so good divide your 10% by 2 and add it to the 10% you now have a 15% tip etc.
    Glad I was able to help by teaching you some basic elementary school level math feel free to hit the thanks button (if you are capable of finding it)
    Palm has been making phones for ages. WebOS may be new, but the company knows exactly what they are doing and get no such pass. Apple has been in the phone business for two years, google, even less.
    It's not a matter of giving them a pass. It's a matter of being realistic. Obviously, nothing we do or say on this forum is going to make Palm any more or less capable of improving the Pre (although, given this site's popularity, we can certainly harm Palm's efforts by being unnecessarily negative).

Compare the Pre to where the iPhone was during its first five months, and let me know whether you think Palm is doing better or worse.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    The App Store is largely a toy box with a few useful apps thrown in, but mostly they are crippled by the lack of a decent SDK.

The only good ones are those that it’s pretty obvious that Palm supplied a native language SDK to, Like Sprint, Pandora and Chapura. So it seems that there is an SDK out there, but not for anyone except Palms long term established partners.

Given it's limitations and cludgy UI, I was able to do everything I needed with WinMo. Granted, the apps typically cost three to four times that of the average WebOS toy, but with only a little research, I could count on them doing what I needed.

Come on Palm, how about publishing a good native language SDK!
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    The only good ones are those that it’s pretty obvious that Palm supplied a native language SDK to, Like Sprint, Pandora and Chapura. So it seems that there is an SDK out there, but not for anyone except Palms long term established partners.
    What are you talking about? NFL, NASCAR, and Pandora are all developed in Javascript and HTML as well.

Edit: Removed Sprint Nav from the list because there's been doubt put on that.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 10/23/2009 at 06:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Compare the Pre to where the iPhone was during its first five months, and let me know whether you think Palm is doing better or worse.
    I think it is not a valid question. The Pre is not competing against 2007. If it is, it has no business in the game. The only meaningful standard of comparison is what is on offer right now, not months or years from now, not months or years ago, but now. No one has to answer for what the iPhone was or was not two years ago. As I recall, no one gave it a pass because it was new to market. It had to meet expectations of the time and was raked brutally over the coals when it fell short.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    What are you talking about? Sprint Navigation, NFL, NASCAR, and Pandora are all developed in Javascript and HTML as well.
    And you know that because?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast