Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Wow, I didn't know YOU get to tell me that I have to care about mobile phone games. I was asking people to list these magical apps that they personally just have to have. Then I can personally see if I'm really missing out on anything or not.

Seems to me some people are just insecure about the size of their...app catalog more than actually needing any of these apps.

Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    This is also not a valid question. There is no reason to exclude games from the apps that are done extremely well on the iPhone. To call it a toy because it does games well is nothing more than spin. Saying that a device that has few compelling games is a productivity device is equally spin. Gaming is a HUGE market. Guess what; the people who play games in the evening go to work in the morning. They see no need to carry two devices when one will do.

Need for Speed on the iPhone is one of the finest portable racing experiences you can get. Virtual pool is better on the iPhone than it was on the desktop. Pretending that has no value is ridiculous. Still, the iPhone has OCRs, reference books, UPC scanners, rulers, musical instruments, and just about every other category you can think of. You can do things on the iPhone that, before the iPhone, was unthinkable on a portable device.

Other companies are following Apple's lead. Any argument that any other app store is just as good, or contains just as capable software as the Apple app store cannot be taken seriously. The Palm app catalogue is not in the same league. If it survives for another two years it will still not be in the same league. That does not make it bad. It just means that Palm would be better off by picking on someone their own size.
    Quote Originally Posted by speak easy View Post
    Wow, I didn't know YOU get to tell me that I have to care about mobile phone games. I was asking people to list these magical apps that they personally just have to have. Then I can personally see if I'm really missing out on anything or not.

Seems to me some people are just insecure about the size of their...app catalog more than actually needing any of these apps.
    one app, that i really wish i had that was on the old palm and winmo is slingplayer. i don't want the crappy crippled wifi only iphone version though.

ideally we will get a native version, but I am perfectly happy with running it in classic.

Hopefully classic will get this figured out, as right now classicOS only has the audio part working.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by speak easy View Post

So, if people don't "need" a feature, it's not important?

People need food, water, love, and shelter. Most everything else in this life is a want. So it goes for apps.

Maybe Shazam or Layar Augmented Reality or ShopSaavy or something similar is meaningless to you, personally. I'm sure one can make reasonable arguments for why any unique mobile app isn't that special. But it misses the point.

The devices are capable of these things. Why not take advantage of the capabilities you paid for? Maybe these SPECIFIC apps don't matter to you, but maybe a developer will come along and use that same compass, mic, or GPU functionality for something you DO find truly indispensable.

Or if we want to resort to the tried and true: it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    So, if people don't "need" a feature, it's not important?

I read the way the op originally posited the question as something more like, "what apps out there are the have need apps that I might want, I'm not into games, but what others"

granted the original wording was ambiguous and could be read as smarmy, but I think either way you read it they were asking for things that would interest THEM and gave the relevant information that they aren't interested in games.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    I read the way the op originally posited the question as something more like, "what apps out there are the have need apps that I might want, I'm not into games, but what others"

granted the original wording was ambiguous and could be read as smarmy, but I think either way you read it they were asking for things that would interest THEM and gave the relevant information that they aren't interested in games.
    Having followed the conversation, I understand that, but as I said....a reasonable argument can be made against "needing" or "having to have" any app.

It's relative, not absolute.
    I think it is not a valid question. The Pre is not competing against 2007.
    Your argument isn't any more valid. Fact is, every OS has had to go through a maturity period. If Palm had to get it right the first time and satisfy everyone out of the box, the Pre would have been released years from now and they probably would have gone out of business long before that. And to add insult to injury they are a small company with shallow pockets, desperately in need of a life saver. When all those things are considered, they have achieved quite a bit in a rather short period of time.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    Hparsons

Honest question here!!!!
    Why exactly is it that every single thread that you post on you immediately come out attacking others posts who are simply stating their personal experience and feelings?????
    whether you agree or disagree, why do you feel the need to get combative and immediately start constantly and desperately trying to prove why everybody is wrong and you are right?

nobody who is disappointed with the pre ever comes on a thread and starts trying to point out why somebody who likes the phone is wrong, people simply post their opinions and time after time I see you and a few others on here who for some odd reason feel it necessary to prove everybody wrong and fight on palms behalf. I have not seen one thread where anybody has tried to discredit a pre activist, but constantly see the opposite and it is annoying.

why do you people have to hide behind a computer to pick fights are you not confident enough to pick fights in the real world and feel this is a place to make up for being cowardly in the real world??????

it is one thing to post about what you think palm brings to the table, it is completely different (not to mention disrespectful) to constantly try to discredit peoples for their opinions.
    if you display this type of behavior in real life situations I would have to expect that you do not have very many true friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Your argument isn't any more valid. Fact is, every OS has had to go through a maturity period. If Palm had to get it right the first time and satisfy everyone out of the box, the Pre would have been released years from now and they probably would have gone out of business long before that. And to add insult to injury they are a small company with shallow pockets, desperately in need of a life saver. When all those things are considered, they have achieved quite a bit in a rather short period of time.
    Speaking for average consumers, no one gives a darn about the Pre's maturation period. People are not signing up to be beta testers or offering their money up as a sacrifice to help a beleaguered company. They expect a finished product that lives up fully to its billing. The Pre wanted to play in the same arena as the big boys who had mature product and ecosystems. Palm made a point of calling them out. Suggesting that Palm lured people into spending money on a device that wasn't quite ready so that they could gain enough to survive the short term but not deliver what they promised is offensive. Palm certainly isn't admitting to that sort of bait and switch. Palm should not expect anyone other than rabid ******* to "support" them with donations while they work out the kinks. People rightfully expect a finished work.

Palm does not get a pat on the head for being a good little trooper. Saying that they are new and just finding their way is to say that they were not ready for the big game. That does not fly with consumers. We simply don't care.
    Well, buying a phone that is capable but not yet doing what you need it to do can only lead to unhappiness that one brought onto oneself.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

The devices are capable of these things. Why not take advantage of the capabilities you paid for? Maybe these SPECIFIC apps don't matter to you, but maybe a developer will come along and use that same compass, mic, or GPU functionality for something you DO find truly indispensable.

Or if we want to resort to the tried and true: it's better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.
    Speaking for average consumers, no one gives a darn about the Pre's maturation period. People are not signing up to be beta testers or offering their money up as a sacrifice to help a beleaguered company. They expect a finished product that lives up fully to its billing.

Haha, you must live in la-la land. We are ALL beta testers regardless of phone. I was a beta tester for the Iphone 3g (which I considered no where near a finished product), now I'm one for the Pre. I prefer the Pre though as the 3g was disappointing. And smartphones really aren't for the average Joe. It's just that most 'average Joes' don't get that, and buy into the hype only to be disappointed. Smartphones are generally purpose built for a particular type of user. It's up to that user to choose the right one. The Pre, IMO, is a better business phone than the Iphone but less so than the Blackberry or Treo line. It has its place, it's up to you to figure it out. However, that doesn't mean it will remain a niche device. As time goes on and feedback pours in, functions will be added and it will better compete in a different market.

Palm made a point of calling them out. Suggesting that Palm lured people into spending money on a device that wasn't quite ready so that they could gain enough to survive the short term but not deliver what they promised is offensive
    What have they promised and not delivered on?
    Last edited by darreno1; 10/23/2009 at 11:40 PM.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
    I think the issue is that "in general" ALL APPS SUCK and that goes for iPhone's too. MOST apps are a useless waist of time and or money. Especially on a cloud/web phone. This is yet another reason why the Pre is better than the iPhone in many ways. I'll take the current web Os over iPhone's massive "crap" catalog any day.

Now if i could just get my Pre's to stop breaking down. I have even had to exchange a busted touchstone that just stopped working.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomh1102 View Post
    Hparsons

Honest question here!!!!
    Why exactly is it that every single thread that you post on you immediately come out attacking others posts who are simply stating their personal experience and feelings?????
    whether you agree or disagree, why do you feel the need to get combative and immediately start constantly and desperately trying to prove why everybody is wrong and you are right?

nobody who is disappointed with the pre ever comes on a thread and starts trying to point out why somebody who likes the phone is wrong, people simply post their opinions and time after time I see you and a few others on here who for some odd reason feel it necessary to prove everybody wrong and fight on palms behalf. I have not seen one thread where anybody has tried to discredit a pre activist, but constantly see the opposite and it is annoying.

why do you people have to hide behind a computer to pick fights are you not confident enough to pick fights in the real world and feel this is a place to make up for being cowardly in the real world??????

it is one thing to post about what you think palm brings to the table, it is completely different (not to mention disrespectful) to constantly try to discredit peoples for their opinions.
    if you display this type of behavior in real life situations I would have to expect that you do not have very many true friends.
    THANK U THANK U THANK U!!
    It's about time somebody stood up to this snob. He's always implying that anybody who has anything detrimental to say about the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $is$ $a$ $complete$ *****.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I don't even get the deal about apps. Yeah there are a select few worth something no matter the platform, but most seem to be nothing but fluff and cool but pointless examples of what technology can do - I mean if you need virtual on-map pics to see a Star Bucks sign you've got bigger problems. A point made by a study that found that some 70%+ of app buyers delete them within 1 day.
    With the shoddy build quality of the Pre alongside the sluggish development of available USEFUL applications, Sprint will have another Instinct fiasco coming very soon. They always seem to back the wrong horse. Now if they piggybacked Verizon's droid advertisement with something along the lines of "android, NOW".

OpenGL, full low level access, and a a god-forsaken video camera isn't much to ask, is it? No matter, I have both a Hero and Pre to tide me over.
    Tomh1102 - Much like your previos post, the one above has many factually incorrect statements.

My membership on this forum predates the Pre by several yearsm thus there is no possible way that "every single post" ttacks others over their pre. Actually the post that appears to have set yoj off didn't attack anyone. I merely pointed out the inaccuracies or your arguments. It would appear you're not ver sucure in your beliefs about them.

More to the point, this forum has dozens, possibly hundreds of posts from me where I directly have helped folks withe Treos and Pres. Do you have any such posts?

it's almost funny; on the one hand you ask if I act this way in person (I do), than imply Ialm a coward for doing so "hiding behind a computer."

It's also interesting that those that come to a forum and use false information to bolster attacks against the Pre are expressing opinions, yest those that post a contrary view are Opicking a fight"... Strange logic there.

I challengw you to find a single post from me here, or anywhere, disparaging another device, let alone doing so by usinfg incorrect or outright falsified information.

I've not questioned your bravery, your friendships with others, nor whether or not you should feel free to postm you have done all of that to me. Now, maybe you could explain how you are somehow doing better.

(I suspect you really just don't like a logical, contrary opinion)
    Speaking for average consumers, no one gives a darn about the Pre's maturation period. People are not signing up to be beta testers or offering their money up as a sacrifice to help a beleaguered company. They expect a finished product that lives up fully to its billing. The Pre wanted to play in the same arena as the big boys who had mature product and ecosystems. Palm made a point of calling them out. Suggesting that Palm lured people into spending money on a device that wasn't quite ready so that they could gain enough to survive the short term but not deliver what they promised is offensive. Palm certainly isn't admitting to that sort of bait and switch. Palm should not expect anyone other than rabid ******* to "support" them with donations while they work out the kinks. People rightfully expect a finished work.

Palm does not get a pat on the head for being a good little trooper. Saying that they are new and just finding their way is to say that they were not ready for the big game. That does not fly with consumers. We simply don't care.
    What did Palm promise and not deliver? How did Palm "call them out"?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    THANK U THANK U THANK U!!
    It's about time somebody stood up to this snob. He's always implying that anybody who has anything detrimental to say about the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $is$ $a$ $complete$ *****.
    Quite the contrary; there are things about the Pre that i'm very anxious to see improvedm it's just that I'm not going to make it my life mission to pretend I somehow know more than those who created the device, and saved the company producing it.
    <<closed>>

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Corleone
    "It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."
    Just call me Berd.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345