1.    #1  
    I have searched for the past couple of hours for the thread or instructions on how to root the pre, but can't find it.....if anyone knows where I can find these instructions I would appreciate it.

I am doing a 30 day replacement on my phone today and need to follow instructions that I found here on how to back up your SMS, but it requires rooted pre, so I just need instructions on how to root.

Thanks
    "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off"
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    lol i sent them to the same place , you have to study in order to learn to root. its not a 123 and done thing
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #4  
    I had already been there, a while back...I have already downloaded both SDK and Virtual Machine, the instruction on that website don't seem to clear....not for me at least.
  5.    #5  
    Ok, lets see if I understood these instructions right, after I follow the SDK installation instructions on Palm's website, all I have to do is plug Pre via usb, set to just charge, open commad promt enter cd \program files\palm\sdk\bin , then enter novacom -t open tty://

A far as I read is this is all thats involved?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Actually, just get the newest version of WebOS Quickinstall. It has a menu option to bring up a shell prompt. It's ridiculously easy. You can probably do whatever you need. Though I have to ask, what exactly are you wanting to do? The majority of tweaks/patches can be accomplished without ever having to set foot in a linux terminal.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by logos View Post
    Actually, just get the newest version of WebOS Quickinstall. It has a menu option to bring up a shell prompt. It's ridiculously easy. You can probably do whatever you need. Though I have to ask, what exactly are you wanting to do? The majority of tweaks/patches can be accomplished without ever having to set foot in a linux terminal.
    I already have that....I mentioned what I need to root my pre for on my 1st message....not something done through webOs QI
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorres View Post
    I already have that....I mentioned what I need to root my pre for on my 1st message....not something done through webOs QI
    Sorry, wasn't paying attention. But yes, what you mentioned above works. Actually, that's all the webos QI menu option does (I believe). Just automates the steps.
    Pre to the Left ... Pre to the Right... C'mon Palm, Let's fight, fight, FIGHT!

Oh, wrong type of rooting...
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
  10.    #10  
    Well while watching this youtube vid on how to root his page seems to go on with more things to copy and paste, look at the video at the 3 minue mark, the same link has more instrutions, yet the link cuts off right at where it says "Your prompt will change to root@castle:/# ←[J
    You are now at the Linux prompt on your Pre."

So what now? Why is the infomation webosinternals link shorter than what this guy was doing "on the same page"????
    if you just want to save the sms just to have a copy of them, you could always take a screen shot and save the photos . Unless of course you have tons of diff cov or wanted them on another device.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Before the SDK came out it was a much more involved process involving setting up ssh, novacom, adding in new directories to sequester homebrew software. An hour process instead of the 1 minute it is now. I can't look at that video since I'm at work, so I'm guessing that he is using one of the older methods. For what you want to do either use webOSQI's menu option or the steps you outlined further up thread (novacom -t open tty:// inside a command window) once the prompt changes to root@castle:/ you can start whatever steps they give for backing up your SMS.
    Why would you need to back up SMS messages?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by buchkoba00 View Post
    Bcus I am doing a handset replacement today and want all my texts.
    Quote Originally Posted by buchkoba00 View Post
    Uhh ... isn't it obvious. I always text myself the name of the chicks I meet at bars. Duh.
    Bcus I am doing a handset replacement today and want all my texts.
    Why would you ever need a history of your texts? Writing a joint novel? Phone numbers from supermodels?
    I am doing a 30 day replacement on my phone today and need to follow instructions that I found here on how to back up your SMS, but it requires rooted pre, so I just need instructions on how to root.
    If you are just trying to copy a system file off of the Pre to your PC, then you can use WOSQI to do that. It has an option to "Receive File", as long as you know the full path and file name.

Otherwise ... I believe the site everyone has pointed to is the most current and easiest way to get root access ... use either novacom or the novaterm they also mention.
    you can get the terminal app in preware that goes strait to the command line. then just type in the command you discovered in the thread about saving sms
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH