Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Asia-Pacific Pre Will Be Second-Generation, Mid-to-Late 2010

the intention is for the second-generation Pre to be released to a much wider audience, including Asia-Pacific - and yes, this is confirmation that an updated Pre is coming, rather than a whole new device. No details on specs or timing are confirmed yet, but expanded storage capacity was specifically mentioned as "near-certain". Whether that means more built-in memory or the oft-requested microSD slot, none could say.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/9...idtolate-2010/
    Last edited by akitayo; 10/23/2009 at 11:31 AM.
    Sorry, File not found!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Sorry, File not found!
    Asia-Pacific Pre Will Be Second-Generation, Mid-to-Late 2010
    I'm glad I have yearly upgrades. Hopefully people from those regions can either import a Pre now or hold on until the new Pre officially reaches them.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Boy, that's a long ways away. In late 2010, who's even going to want a Pre? The Pre will undoubtedly look dated by then. Seems weird to me, but what do I know?

/Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    Boy, that's a long ways away. In late 2010, who's even going to want a Pre? The Pre will undoubtedly look dated by then. Seems weird to me, but what do I know?

/Kevin
    Did you read the part about "second generation" at all?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Did you read the part about "second generation" at all?
    Yep. A 16GB (or 32GB, etc.) Pre will look very dated in 2010, if that's all it is.

I guess it'll really just depend on what all gets added/changed to the "second generation" Pre. Is it going to be a Pre 1.5 or a Pre2? Time will tell. So far the only thing "confirmed" (inasmuch as anything can be confirmed at this time) is additional capacity. And in my opinion if that is the biggest change they make, then yes, the "second gen" Pre will look very dated in late 2010. Again, this is all just my opinion, and even that is based on speculation, so...

/Kevin
    Will it look as dated as the iPhone?

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    c'mon how memory do you need??? When I had a 16gb micro I only used like 12gb's.... Lol
    I can't see how people need a 32gb.... Lol
    I'm not getting into that debate again but my signature sums up my feelings on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Amack34 View Post
    c'mon how memory do you need??? When I had a 16gb micro I only used like 12gb's.... Lol
    I can't see how people need a 32gb.... Lol
    Well, I'd like to have 32GB personally, but that's not my point. My point is that capacity is nice, but if that's all they change -- or even if that's the biggest change -- then that is nowhere near enough. It could have 500GB and it would be dated (to me). It's not just about storage.

People wouldn't continue to upgrade smartphones if all they changed was capacity. If that was the case, I'd still have any number of old smartphones that had removable storage (SD/miniSD/microSD). But that's not all that matters, or even close to it. Storage space is only part of the equation.

Apparently I'm in the minority, at least on here. And that's fine. I'm just saying that for me personally, I wouldn't wait around for a second-gen Pre (IF it's biggest/only feature upgrade is more space) until late 2010.

/Kevin
    You are also talking about a more mature webOS and app store. Would you care to address my question in regard to the iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    I'm not getting into that debate again but my signature sums up my feelings on the subject.
    Yeah, I hear ya. I don't even have any music or movies on my Pre at all. I don't know that I ever will. But it's good to know that I could do that, at least. And if people are going to compare it to and stack it up against the iPhone -- which they are, whether it should be or not -- it needs to at least keep up. (It's also possible that they don't want to compete in the same market segment, but I don't think they have a choice.)

I don't even want an iPhone, and it's not because I hate Apple or anything. It's just not for me. Even if I were on AT&T and had a choice between the Pre and an iPhone (which I wouldn't, but play along here), I'd still get the Pre.

Obviously a LOT of people LOVE the iPhone, though, and ... and it's possible I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point, even though this has nothing to do with the thread anymore.

/Kevin
    You are also talking about a more mature webOS and app store. Would you care to address my question in regard to the iPhone?
    I wasn't sure if that was a rhetorical question or something addressed at me (or to the world at large).

I don't know what the iPhone has done, to be honest. I'm coming from Windows Mobile and only Windows Mobile.

I would ASSUME (and we all know what happens when someone assumes ) that the iPhones upgrades have been more than just capacity upgrades. They must have added more than just that, right? Made other improvements, added new features...? If the iPhone's upgrades have just been going from 8GB to 16GB to 32GB (or whatever), then... that's pretty sad. But it would be good for Palm, I guess, because then maybe people wouldn't expect a whole lot from a second-gen Pre.

Honest curiosity: What HAS the progression been like for the iPhone? What does the current one have/do that the first-gen didn't?

/Kevin
    Well the iPhone did slowly add missing features from both a hardware and software perspective but I was referring more to your 'look dated' comment as the iPhone has barely changed in that regard. An updated Pre will see a more mature and feature rich webOS while in hardware terms, capacity aside, the Pre needs no major improvements. Some minor upgrades perhaps but nothing major.

EDIT: If you are interesting in the iPhone progression then have a read of the following:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...odels#Features

Well the iPhone did slowly add missing features from both a hardware and software perspective but I was referring more to your 'look dated' comment as the iPhone has barely changed in that regard. An updated Pre will see a more mature and feature rich webOS while in hardware terms, capacity aside, the Pre needs no major improvements. Some minor upgrades perhaps but nothing major.
    I definitely meant from a hardware point of view, not just aesthetics. I should have cleared that up -- I did say 'look', after all.

I think the Pre has room for improvement. Hopefully it gets faster (be it through hardware upgrades or even just software optimisation, or both), and it would be nice if it had a compass -- the Next Big Thing(tm) appears to possibly be so-called 'augmented reality' and it requires a compass.

But you are right, those are minor upgrades. Maybe the second-gen Pre will have all that. I still think by the end of 2010, though, that it will need something more than that, even if I can't tell you what that 'something' is. That's just a long in terms of technology and I have a hard time believing that even a moderately upgraded Pre will holds its own against the competition by that point.

If that's all the iPhone has done, though, then maybe it'll be okay.

/Kevin
    EDIT: If you are interesting in the iPhone progression then have a read of the following:
    List of iPhone and iPod Touch models - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks! It sure does look like they haven't done much, that's for sure. Added 3G support on the second-gen one, added a compass and voice control on the third-gen... and went from 4GB (first-gen) to the option of a 32gb (current gen). That seems to be about it.

So yeah, if that's Palm's measuring stick, then maybe that second-gen Pre won't seem dated after all. All it needs is added capacity and a few other minor changes here and there, and voila! Second-gen.

/Kevin
    The key will be whether Palm can retain a loyal userbase in the face of the Droid invasion. There is an awful lot of fickle posters here.

The key will be whether Palm can retain a loyal userbase in the face of the Droid invasion. There is an awful lot of fickle posters here.
    Oh, absolutely. I know here I haven't even seen a Pre commercial on TV (others have, so I know they're out there, just apparently not airing during the times I watch or during the shows I watch), but I've seen PLENTY of Droid commercials.

People want to feel like there's something better out there and that they can go get it. Droid seems to be building that up (or trying to). Pre... uh... wellll.... not so much. I see a LOT of Sprint commercials, but they're all about "The Now Network(tm)" and not about the Pre specifically.

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    Thanks! It sure does look like they haven't done much, that's for sure.
    iPhone hardware tweaks have been minor up until the 3GS. The biggest impact there is improved graphics acceleration and processing power, coupled with more RAM (not the 8GB, 16GB, 32GB disk space -- I'm talking about the 256MB RAM used to run apps). This makes it the first iPhone really geared towards running complex applications. It's a huge improvement over the previous generation. The 3GS runs most stuff 3-5X faster, and has roughly 6X more memory available to third party apps.

Sadly, the Pre's hardware is nearly as good as the 3GS, but you'd never know it at this point.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast