Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    iPhone hardware tweaks have been minor up until the 3GS. The biggest impact there is improved graphics acceleration and processing power, coupled with more RAM (not the 8GB, 16GB, 32GB disk space -- I'm talking about the 256MB RAM used to run apps). This makes it the first iPhone really geared towards running complex applications. It's a huge improvement over the previous generation.

Sadly, the Pre's hardware is nearly as good as the 3GS, but you'd never know it at this point.
    Right, I checked and found that as well. Wikipedia says the iPhone used to have a 620 MHz CPU underclocked to 412 MHz, and the 3GS now has a 833 MHz CPU underclocked to 600 MHz. (The Pre is 600 MHz underclocked to 500 MHz.)

So it would not be unreasonable to expect a second-gen Pre to perhaps get a faster processor and more RAM (256MB currently, same as the iPhone 3GS). (Of course then you probably have a) more heat and b) less battery life, so those are other issues to be addressed -- reasons why a second-gen phone is not necessarily more problem-free than the first-gen.)

/Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    Yep. A 16GB (or 32GB, etc.) Pre will look very dated in 2010, if that's all it is.

I guess it'll really just depend on what all gets added/changed to the "second generation" Pre. Is it going to be a Pre 1.5 or a Pre2? Time will tell. So far the only thing "confirmed" (inasmuch as anything can be confirmed at this time) is additional capacity. And in my opinion if that is the biggest change they make, then yes, the "second gen" Pre will look very dated in late 2010. Again, this is all just my opinion, and even that is based on speculation, so...

/Kevin
    I'm curious how exactly you'd change the Pre.

I can only think of 3 possible ways --

(Memory) - More internal & expandable slot, which at least one is a near certainty
    (Compass) - This will provide for the fancy apps like Layar, Sky Map, and even just determining which direction you're walking in Google Maps.
    (Screen) - You can always use a better tech (i.e. - OLED) and add more pixels, but this isn't something that is necessary, really. OLED might not look as good in sunlight as the Pre's transflective screen. And more pixels on a 3.1" screen might not be practical, cost efficient, etc.

The first two upgrades are really the only two that I see need to happen for Pre v2. What more could you ask for?
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I'm curious how exactly you'd change the Pre.

The first two upgrades are really the only two that I see need to happen for Pre v2. What more could you ask for?
    Really, I don't know. If I did, I'd be working at Palm or Apple or HTC or whoever, making these ideas come to life. But I don't know. I didn't have anything specific in mind other than knowing how the technology curve is. I think it's shortsighted to think that a capacity upgrade on the Pre will be 'enough' in late 2010. That's a lot of time in terms of technology. I'm not saying it needs to have a 3D display and artificial intelligence, but I don't think a storage upgrade is enough of an upgrade.

But what IS enough? I don't know. Really. I don't have all the answers, or even all the questions, sorry!

What I DO know is that someday we will look back on the Palm Pre and think it very, very out of date. What will the specific reasons be? I don't know yet.

/Kevin
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    The key will be whether Palm can retain a loyal userbase in the face of the Droid invasion. There is an awful lot of fickle posters here.
    Droid will be its current issue, but that ELSE phone with the Access Os looks like a future ruckus for WebOS.
    Really, I don't know.
    Thank you.

But what IS enough? I don't know. Really. I don't have all the answers, or even all the questions, sorry!
    What IS enough?

Utilizing the hardware that's already in your hands. It'll prolly take close to year of software tweaking before the hardware potential can actually be realized.

That's why I'd expect the next release to be more of a Pre v1.5. I definitely expect them to keep with the internal memory storage ideals of Apple, bumping up to 16gb & 32gb... and no expandable memory. It'd be nice if there was expandable memory, but with a 32gb internal option... I could wait another release or two before complaining about microSD cards.

v1.5 - Internal Memory upgrade to 16gb & 32gb; more solid build quality [control]
    v2.0 - microSD slot; fancy OLED screen
    v2.5 - compass

That's my prediction. But I really don't need any of that stuff. The functionality of Pre v1.0 does most everything I need already and is still very, very young. This device should last any sane person more than 2 years. But of course, with the nature of technology hype, you'll always want the next big thing.

What I DO know is that someday we will look back on the Palm Pre and think it very, very out of date. What will the specific reasons be? I don't know yet.

/Kevin
    Thank you.
  6.    #26  
    How many Palm Treos came after the first one model until the last one?

It would be interesting to know the history and the changes and adds every Treo model had.
    Palm Treo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I jumped in at the 300, upgraded to the 600, then 650, then 755p. The Treo 300 was revolutionary for Handspring (NOT a Palm design, nor was the 600) and Sprint. That was the beginning of people seeing the real potential in smartphones. The 600 added a great form factor. The 650 and 755p were all very evolutionary devices... but the 755p was one of the greatest "phones" ever -- the best reception of any cell phone yet, and it was built like a tank. I just think the 300 is my favorite because it did practically everything the 755p did but many years ahead of its time. I guess you could say the Treos before the 300 were more revolutionary, but they were on GSM so they couldn't have been that great, right?
  8.    #28  
    I see on wikipedia that between the first Treo phone model 180 GSM and the Treo 300 CDMA is one year more or less, and between the first one and the Treo 680 GSM are 4 years, and between the Treo 180 GSM and the 755p are 5 years.

There are a total of 15 Treo models , just counting the model number., in 6 years. An average of 2.5 models per year.
    Last edited by akitayo; 10/23/2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Well... I can't remember off-top, but the thing is that Palm is not gonna be in the first decade of the new millennium for much longer. If Australia is getting 1.5 in mid-late 2010... v 2.0 better be in the U.S. here in early 2011, whether it be the OLED screen upgrade or the compass. They'll definitely need to be keepin' it fresh by that time.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    There are a total of 15 Treo models , just counting the model number., in 6 years. An average of 2.5 models per year.
    Yea, some of those different model numbers are just different radios (gsm/cdma)... I'd say they had about 6 really different models. So 6 in 6 years is more like 1 a year, which sounds about right. But Palm is in a whole new playing field where they're gonna need to catch up, and Palm itself is a whole new company... which is why I agreed in another thread that Elevation & Palm should be investing all that money into manpower. Need geeks with good hands and quick brains.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    but they were on GSM so they couldn't have been that great, right?
    Yeah GSM is great and my Treo 680 GSM unlocked feels great yet ,just making some Pre mimic with TealOS
    I dont think they will Update the pre. I think they will release a newer device. It may still be called the pre, but i doubt its appearance goes unchanged.
  13.    #33  
    Maybe a new Pre with Pixi appareance???
    WTH is alll this hardware talk, who cares!? I want some IME working in WebOS!!! Japanese IME preferably!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12