Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. mtgmt's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Dunno but you should be getting full bars in your house if you have an airwave. Unless it's severly being obstructed by thick walls or other signals in the home. Moving it around to see if you can get better reception would be one way to test it. Aside from that, I don't know.
    i got full max bars but when i call long distance ( mostly for my biz ) i alway have horrible reception issues, the caller almost always tells me i am breaking up etc......i need to figure out this problem asap
  2. #22  
    The PRL has no connection with your 3G signal. If your on the Sprint network and you aren't often in fringe (Sprint) coverage areas that cause you to require roaming, a PRL update will not (and can not) do anything to improve 3G reception.
  3. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgmt View Post
    i got full max bars but when i call long distance ( mostly for my biz ) i alway have horrible reception issues, the caller almost always tells me i am breaking up etc......i need to figure out this problem asap
    Ok, you contradict yourself. First you say you have full bars but then you say you have horrible reception. I think you mean voice quality and not reception. The airwave won't help voice quality aside from supplying a stronger signal. If you have bad voice quality that is something different.

    Is it always the same caller or all calls that are long distance? Is it only long distance?
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Yes, your right and the definition is wrong. You should consider rewriting the definition so people are not confused with what a "prefered roaming list" is.
    I see what you did there.

    /Kevin
  5. mtgmt's Avatar
    Posts
    333 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    Ok, you contradict yourself. First you say you have full bars but then you say you have horrible reception. I think you mean voice quality and not reception. The airwave won't help voice quality aside from supplying a stronger signal. If you have bad voice quality that is something different.

    Is it always the same caller or all calls that are long distance? Is it only long distance?
    max bars good signal

    terrible voice quality any number of callers mixed between local and LD. i get told your breaking up more in a day than a guy should here!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgmt View Post
    max bars good signal

    terrible voice quality any number of callers mixed between local and LD. i get told your breaking up more in a day than a guy should here!
    How does it sound when you're NOT in your house using the AirRave? Like if you're somewhere else that has good 'natural' coverage? Maybe your Pre itself is defective..? If it sounds okay when you're not on the AirRave, then maybe the AirRave is defective.

    Either way, it sounds like something is wrong somewhere. (How's that for an expert opinion?)

    /Kevin
  7. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgmt View Post
    max bars good signal

    terrible voice quality any number of callers mixed between local and LD. i get told your breaking up more in a day than a guy should here!
    Sounds like a defective phone maybe. Mine has great voice quality both outgoing and incoming, or at least no one has said they can't hear me very well.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    If you have an airwave and you are still getting bad reception than something is wrong with your airwave.

    Also, the PRL is really only for roaming. If you are not roaming than a PRL update will not effect you. If you are getting weaker signal after updating but you are not roaming, than that is your imagination. If you are roaming but get a weaker signal after the update than a tower near you was removed from the list for what ever reason. If you are not roaming but get a better signal, than that is also your imagination.
    This is not precisely true, according to what Sprint has told me in the past. There are apparently a lot of situations where your phone is trying to figure out whether it should be roaming or not. If Sprint puts up a new tower near a place where there was previously no tower and the preferred roaming list is not updated, your phone can get confused and ping back and forth between the towers. So you can be in an area where Sprint has good coverage and get poor signal because your phone won't hold the connection well. Updated PRL can then improve your signal because your phone locks onto the right tower and stays there. Or something like that. These situations are perhaps few and far between, but they exist.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9. dragbug's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This is not precisely true, according to what Sprint has told me in the past. There are apparently a lot of situations where your phone is trying to figure out whether it should be roaming or not. If Sprint puts up a new tower near a place where there was previously no tower and the preferred roaming list is not updated, your phone can get confused and ping back and forth between the towers. So you can be in an area where Sprint has good coverage and get poor signal because your phone won't hold the connection well. Updated PRL can then improve your signal because your phone locks onto the right tower and stays there. Or something like that. These situations are perhaps few and far between, but they exist.
    If the phone needs to decide to roam or not then you are already recieving a bad signal which causes you to bounce from roaming to not roaming. The PRL will only be used when the phone goes into roaming mode based on it's reception to the nearest tower.
  10. Huff's Avatar
    Posts
    114 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #30  
    I updated mine to 60655 a month ago or so. It was a pain as Sprint had some sort of issues with the OTA update. It would cause an error message saying it needs network connection and refuse to update most of the time even though network connection was just fine. Looks like OS 1.2.1 solved that issue as PRL update works fine now.
  11. #31  
    After doing the PRL update, I noticed that that I get much better reception in the DC Metro. Where I used to roam at 1x in Metro Center, this evening I got pretty decent EVDO signal!

    This might just be a coincidence though, because the "big 3" carriers are supposed to be upgrading their coverage in the major Metro stations soon. Whatever the reason, I'll take it!
  12. #32  
    I did the update a few days ago. My Pre is still at 95% after being off the charger for 72 hours! I always get full signal even in caves, and now I can make international calls while roaming for free! Also my ex-wife came back to me and my son is now a straight-A student!

    This is a must-have update for anyone who is having issues with their Pre!
  13. #33  
    I always had great reception and did the update to 60655 and now im killing the battery too fast and i can watch the bars jump from 1 to 5 randomly just sitting here without moving. Half the day im in x1 now when i dont ever recall even seeing that before, ever. any way to roll back the prl update?
  14. #34  
    Weird. I had been at 60555, and got a data error message so I tried updating network settings, which was taking forever so I cancelled it, and then I ran a PRL update, and went to device info to see if it really had been updated.

    Apparently, it hadn't been upgraded, but instead downgraded to 60654. Anyone else notice the same? Maybe Sprint is having issues with 60655. I ran it a second time to confirm, and it stayed at 60654. Then, when I did Update Network Settings, it worked immediately.
  15. #35  
    Updated my PRL...helped my signal.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions