Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I have come to the realization that I am in love with this thing (as much as a man can love a device). I also know that it was a battle getting to this point, due to some quirkiness in the software and hardware. This thread is to share my experiences and hopefully help some of the newer users out.

How to treat your Pre
    Get it covered. BestBuy has a paid service ($8, when I had it done) where they cover your Pre with the $30 InvisiShield. From what I've read on these forums, spend the cash to have it done right the first time, because doing it yourself is a headache. The cover protects your baby from scratches, and provides a nice grip-able surface.

Learn how to unplug it correctly. The micro USB port on this thing is tight. So tight that the act of unplugging it is probably one of the main causes of the dreaded Oreo effect. Here are the steps I've learned to follow:
    1. Close the pre. You shouldn't be able to see your keyboard when you are ready to unplug.
    2. Hold the pre with your left hand, making sure that your fingers wrap around both halves. Grip very firmly.
    3. Without "jiggling" the cord back and forth, pull it straight out with your right hand. Though it's bad for the cord, try using the cord to pull out rather than the USB "head". I've found that pulling the cord makes it much easier to pull straight out.
    4. The halves of your pre should not have budged during this unplug process.

Don't store it in tight spots. This means, leave it out of your pants pockets if they're at all tight. Leave it out of a fully packed bag. I've found the best places for my pre are in my shirt pocket, coat pocket, and a dedicated phone pocket in my bags. We want to avoid any twisting motion between the halves.

Don't test for oreo-ness. In testing for the oreo effect, guess what? You're causing the oreo effect to get worse. Believe me, you'll know if you've got an oreo'd Pre without having to twist it every day.

Your battery is a finicky thing. Seat it right & tight. I've seen so many mind-baffling behaviors on my pre when the only problem was a poor contact between the battery and the phone. Issues range from radio droppage to full-on phone crash. Two things to consider:
    1. The battery needs to be tight against the contacts. This is VERTICAL play. Some people have chosen to put a card or folded up paper in the gap between the top of the battery and the housing.
    2. The battery has some play between the flat part of the housing and the flimsy plastic backing. This is HORIZONTAL play. I've seen the dreaded "Battery with a question mark" icon after a crash, and the solution was to simply squeeze the back cover of the phone to get rid of the horizontal play. Now, I literally fill the gap with a folded up sticky note. Problem is gone, for the most part. You will create horizontal play while using the keyboard, unless you've folded your fingers around to the back of the phone. The keyboard doesn't seem to be properly seated "on firm ground". So make sure you're applying some pressure from the back to counter the pressure from typing.
    Software? Homebrew? Battery life?
    Practice makes perfect (and you can rest easier). Ready to homebrew your Pre? GREAT! Pre is such a unique beast because Palm doesn't actively quash the homebrew scene. However, you probably know that by homebrewing you're opening up to the possibility of disabling your baby. Because of this, my recommendation is to actually use WebOS doctor before you even get started. Get familiar with the process. It's a bit quirky to get running if you've never done it. Realize what gets erased, what gets restored, and what you need to do to get your Pre up and running again in the case of fire.

My battery lasts for 2 hours. Battery life is a common theme of complaint. I have a few tips to add, though I must make it known that after 2 weeks of constant charging the battery has "developed a life" and will last me anywhere between 6-8 hours of light use.
    1. Pandora is great, but CLOSE it when not in use. It drains battery (and makes your phone HOT) when it's left open, even in "pause" mode.
    2. Change your settings. Mail should be set to "check on arrival" or "check manually".

That's about all I can think of. By being a little superstitious, and a lot more informed due to experience, I'm fully enjoying my Pre and getting a lot out of it. Hope this helps someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by hammysink View Post
    Don't test for oreo-ness. In testing for the oreo effect, guess what? You're causing the oreo effect to get worse. Believe me, you'll know if you've got an oreo'd Pre without having to twist it every day.
    I agree with this point. I let the Pre advocate in a Sprint store demonstrate that my phone could be oreo'ed (on a phone that had never oreo-ed before. A few weeks later, the oreo-ing became a regular occurrence on a phone that never had exhibited this behavior in the two months before this encounter. (I think it would have eventually happened anyway, but new users can probably follow your advice in this thread and delay oreo-ing for 6 months or more.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    A better way might be to buy a phone that can handle normal handling without having to be replaced every few months or in some cases days.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
    A better way might be to buy a phone that can handle normal handling without having to be replaced every few months or in some cases days.
    Flame-bait (and in my opinion, off-topic for this thread) but I'll go with your premise for a minute here. I have a launch day (June 6, 2009) Pre and I've not followed most of the advice that the OP suggested here. My Pre has been dropped at least 10 times, kept mostly in my front pants pocket, the screen has never been covered, and it is holding up well. Yes, I have probably the extreme end of oreo-ing (about 1mm), but it does not adversely affect the function of the phone at all. I beat on my Pre and it has held up spendidly so far. I think treating your Pre as the OP advocates is a good idea, but I have to disagree with your assertion that the Pre does not stand up to normal use based on how well it has been holding up to my "loving user from hell" sort of abuse.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!