Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Called Sprint and got an AiRave, wasn't getting good reception when I walked out of my home office to the other side the house. There was a spot where I would lose the signal. Couple of comments about AiRave setup.

1. They told me AiRave is your own cell tower, I thought that meant a cell booster. It's not a booster, it looks like a cable modem with an antenna. The antenna connects with your Pre, but the AiRave connects to the Internet for connection to Sprint. If you don't have cable access the AiRave won't work.

2. The AiRave must connect with a Sat for the GPS to work. I was told if the GPS can't sync then AiRave won't work, something to do with 911 emergency requirements.

3. I live in a condo and my office is next to front entry. I had to run the GPS thingy wire out my office window (window has no sky view) and across the hallway to get to an area to get line of sight with Sat. Fortunately there is a 40 foot cable they give you, otherwise I couldn't stretch out far enough. I got a sync and the AiRave was enabled.

4. I couldn't leave the wire running across the hallway floor permanently, my neighbor would be tripping over it when they walked from elevator to their entry.

5. I pulled GPS thingy and wire back into the house and it now has no line of site to Sat. It cycles to find Sat, can't find it, but guess it defaults to setup sync mentioned above if it can't find Sat.

6. I get 6 bars in office and 2-3 in worst part of the house, never lose signal.

7. If power goes out and I lose GPS default not sure what will happen. I guess I can run the wire again, sync and then pull it back in?

8 By the I got my AiRave and monthly service waived.

9. So if you have my problem with no permanent GPS sync see if you can temp sync, leave the GPS thingy connected to the AiRave and put it behind your desk. It worked for me.
    Last edited by beachboy; 10/23/2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Misspelled AiRave
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Plug your Airave into a UPS to avoid the satellite re-sync hassles due to power outages. You might also find a spot in the room you're in that will allow the antenna to sync up with the satellites. Believe it or not, the antenna is sensitive enough to see satellites through up to 2 stories, depending on building materials. Since there is no way of getting "instant" feedback, finding a sweet spot could be very difficult, if it is possible at all.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for advice, unfortunately on the 2nd floor of a 12 story building. Thick concrete floors, so that won't work, but the UPS idea is so simple, this simpleton didn't think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    Plug your Airave into a UPS to avoid the satellite re-sync hassles due to power outages. You might also find a spot in the room you're in that will allow the antenna to sync up with the satellites. Believe it or not, the antenna is sensitive enough to see satellites through up to 2 stories, depending on building materials. Since there is no way of getting "instant" feedback, finding a sweet spot could be very difficult, if it is possible at all.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    I need to get one of these for my home. I get 1 bar typically and I know that it drains the battery like crazy. Did you have to speak to retentions or was normal customer service able to do it for you? The guy at the Sprint store actually gave me a couple of pamphlets and told me to call Sprint to get one. He said they should give me the device for free but that it would cost me $5.00 per month for one phone and I think he said $15 for more. Is that right?
    Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I'm pretty certain that you only need to acquire the satellite GPS lock upon initial installation and setup. After it acquires the GPS signal you can detach the antenna cable from the Airave unit. I did exactly this and have not had any issues.
  6.    #6  
    I'll try that thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blaidan View Post
    I'm pretty certain that you only need to acquire the satellite GPS lock upon initial installation and setup. After it acquires the GPS signal you can detach the antenna cable from the Airave unit. I did exactly this and have not had any issues.
  7.    #7  
    Here's what I said, I called and told them I was unhappy with the Sprint service in my office and was in my last days for the new Pre. I told her I wanted to terminate my land land and was on a Everything plan. Told her a friend come to my house with an iPhone and he got 5 bars and I was getting 2 in my office, but when I moved around it dropped off dramatically and lost connection about 15 feet from my desk. I said I would go to the iPhone because I needed a good connection.

She transferred me to retention, I got a nice lady and I was nice, just told her how frustrated I was and had been a long time Sprint user. I told her in the past I hadn't used the cell in the office very much, but given I would be using it exclusively I needed good service. She told me she would waive monthly and then give me $100 in credit, now the bill for the unit was $124.95, so I guess I end up paying the ship and tax. I am going to try and get that back too.

Quote Originally Posted by jvaudio View Post
    I need to get one of these for my home. I get 1 bar typically and I know that it drains the battery like crazy. Did you have to speak to retentions or was normal customer service able to do it for you? The guy at the Sprint store actually gave me a couple of pamphlets and told me to call Sprint to get one. He said they should give me the device for free but that it would cost me $5.00 per month for one phone and I think he said $15 for more. Is that right?
    i got the airRave too i was getting decent reception with it
    i would only get 5 bars in the room where it was placed
    but i called sprint and now i get 5 bars all the way around my home.
    so if your getting decent reception just call them they can probaly make it alot better.
    and it syncs up alot faster too, i dont have to bring my phone by it and press *99 all the time. i got my air rave and the monthly waived also .
    and it doesnt cost more to add phones. its kena like having a own personal sprint tower
    so who ever has sprint in your home will automatically connect to it
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I get lousy reception in my home... probably the main reason I keep my landline.
    I don't have cable- I have DSL... will that work or do you have to have a cable/coax connection?
  10.    #10  
    Think any broadband will work, but check with Sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I get lousy reception in my home... probably the main reason I keep my landline.
    I don't have cable- I have DSL... will that work or do you have to have a cable/coax connection?
  11.    #11  
    My wife is on ATT and she now gets better reception too.

Quote Originally Posted by sainifabulous View Post
    i got the airRave too i was getting decent reception with it
    i would only get 5 bars in the room where it was placed
    but i called sprint and now i get 5 bars all the way around my home.
    so if your getting decent reception just call them they can probaly make it alot better.
    and it syncs up alot faster too, i dont have to bring my phone by it and press *99 all the time. i got my air rave and the monthly waived also .
    and it doesnt cost more to add phones. its kena like having a own personal sprint tower
    so who ever has sprint in your home will automatically connect to it
    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post

8 By the I got my AiRave and monthly service waived.
    Sorry to bring this thread back up but how did you get it waived? I'd love to get one since going with Sprint my signal has sucked or been nonexistent the whole time. Having them say it's available but that I have to not only pay for the device but the monthly service is ****ing ridiculous. It's their ****ing problem I can't get signal not me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    Sorry to bring this thread back up but how did you get it waived? I'd love to get one since going with Sprint my signal has sucked or been nonexistent the whole time. Having them say it's available but that I have to not only pay for the device but the monthly service is ****ing ridiculous. It's their ****ing problem I can't get signal not me.
    It helps if you can credibly threaten to leave and you add, when they bring up the Airave, that you don't want to have to pay TWICE for service. I did this, but it's not like I was lying. I really did have to leave my home to get a good signal.

Now that we can force roaming with the patch, it's less of an issue, but still a concern.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    I called yesterday to see if I can get one but she said it's probably a software issue on my phone, and didn't even mention the AirRave.

I'm trying to get one for work so the three of us in this area can actually use our phones for once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    When I first got an Airave I was on DSL. It worked OK, but if one of the computers was doing something network-intensive (like streaming video) while I was on the phone, I would occasionally get some garbled sound. Haven't had any similar problems since switching to FIOS. So DSL works (mostly), but faster is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    It helps if you can credibly threaten to leave and you add, when they bring up the Airave, that you don't want to have to pay TWICE for service. I did this, but it's not like I was lying. I really did have to leave my home to get a good signal.

Now that we can force roaming with the patch, it's less of an issue, but still a concern.
    Yeah... the lady that originally helped me activate my pre (had problems doing so) mentioned the airave and "maybe" getting it at a discount. I was transferred before I could ask about it again and that's where it went downhill since I've lost my threatening credibility...

Anyway, I just called and was shuffled around to oh... 5 people. The last one sounded like it was in India and she had a bad connection since I was shouting and she couldn't understand me still. I think it's a lost cause at this point. No body could give me a straight answer of why it was just a signal booster and why I needed to "subscribe" to it either.
  17.    #17  
    I got mine during my 30 trial period, so I could more pressure on them. I told them I had a friend that was at my house and he had a iPhone with great service. I told them if they couldn't solve my problem I would get an iPhone. This is all true, but I didn't really want to leave Sprint. They must believe you are going to leave Sprint to get them to waive unit and monthly costs. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever92 View Post
    I too have an airave. Got it for free, was promised to be free of monthly charges but it was charged. I had to write an email to the corporate office to finally get the fee waived. I literally got no bars inside of my house and it was very frustrating. If you read the instructions that came with the airave it says that you can use 3 phones on it. I have limited the 3 phones on our account to it.
    If you have a hard time with phoning them, why not use the chat on the sprint site. That way you have a record of what they said (in case they change their minds later). They send you an copy of the transcript to the email address you provide. I have only had one bad experience and that was when they denied me the free monthly charge. I tried and tried with the rep and she would not give. She kept saying "that is Sprint policy" over and over again. In the end, I got what I wanted and am very happy.
    Also, I don't even use the antennae and never have. It is true that I live in a single level house but the window is across the room from the unit and it still picks it up.
    Mary
    Palm Pre (her)
    Palm Pre (his)
    I have Sprint and proud of it!
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I called Sprint Retentions yesterday and have an Airrave on it's way free of charge. They did not waive the $5 monthly fee, but instead gave me a $20 per month retention credit for the next 24 months.

It really depends who you talk to. This was my third attempt to get an Airrave and I got the right person to do it. The good thing is that they annotate your call in the notes each time you call. So I had notes showing a history of bad reception. It gave me the credibility I needed to push them.

And like everyone else said, they have to think you are ready to leave Sprint. Good luck!
    Well... I guess it's not that big a deal and the thought it's wasting my home bandwidth doesn't help either. It would be more to get the EVDO network anyway more than for voice... Technically I do have a signal I suppose even though it's roaming. Spoke too soon... don't have any right now... :\
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast