Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benssson View Post
    dunno if it will make any difference to you as I'm in London and I get a 3G connection pretty much everywhere
    Im guessing the phone will always try to maintain the 3g signal and will use battery power searching for it. As its dropping in and out at work (I must be right at the edge of the 3g transmitters range) its constantly searching for the better signal. I definately saw a hell of a difference switching it off in my other phones
    Quote Originally Posted by benssson View Post
    I've discovered the secret to long battery life! By turning off my 3g connection and forcing a 2g connexion with very little phone usage I'm getting a battery drain of about 2.5 percent per hour. Previously with the connexion set to automatic I was getting about 5.5 percent per hour. That's more than double the battery. I'm using the mugen 1400 mah battery btw. So, by my calculations I can get about 40 hours out of this battery!
    I still can't understand why the Pre decides to change connection to connexion.
    I'm beginning to wonder what has changed because currently I'm running just a stopwatch application and I'm getting a drain of 15% per hour :/
    Amazon UK are now carrying the Amzel extended batteries for the Pre. I'm waiting on a 1400 - hopefully should provide enough power to last the day..
    Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
    Martin Golding
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C0deM0nkey View Post
    Amazon UK are now carrying the Amzel extended batteries for the Pre. I'm waiting on a 1400 - hopefully should provide enough power to last the day..
    any idea if this will be ok to use with the touchstone?
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    any idea if this will be ok to use with the touchstone?
    I don't see why not - according to prethinking it is.

Mine's on it's way to work and I have touchstones both in the office and at home so I don't charge any other way (charger in car for emergencies only but not used yet).
    I'll post back to confirm once I have it..
    Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.
    Martin Golding
    First 'normal' day with the Pre today, and in summary battery life was better than I feared, but not as good as I hoped.

Came off charge at 0730, and was down to 5% when I got home at 2030, so 13 hours. In that time I haven't made many calls (~5 mins) but have read and sent maybe 10 emails, surfed the web for half an hour, and messed around for maybe 15 mins (mainly showing other people how it works).

I'm syncing with an Exchange server and Google Apps account every 15 mins, and have been running on 3G all day - no Wifi at work. I know people say to leave Wifi on, but I couldn't because there is a Wifi network at work which is 'open' but then needs a password via a browser to work... and my password expired today. Upshot was the Pre connected but couldn't do anything, and wouldn't revert to 3G unless I turned Wifi off. GPS also turned off, by the way.

I'm hoping for a bit of improvement as the battery beds in, and also once we get the 1.2.1 / 1.3 update. In the meantime, I can stick it on charge for an hour half way through the day and it'll be fine - I'm used to poor battery life from previously owning an HTC Touch Diamond, on which the battery life was actually pretty similar, as a comparison.

R
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I had a pretty good day yesterday, first real test at work for 10 hours. Started at full charge and got home with it at 63% and thats after 45 minutes web surfing, a few phone calls, texting, 20 minutes gps and a good hour playing around with it. I also left 5-6 cards open. I sync my emails every hour and have 3g turned off.
    It's arrived, fits (tightly) in the Pre and charges ok via the Touchstone.

On first boot the Pre showed it charged at 50%. It seemed to stop charging at 90% - I'm assuming that this is either due to a lack of conditioning, or a limitation in WebOS 1.1.3.
    I'm running it down now for a full charge (via Touchstone) overnight.
    Martin Golding
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    It's arrived, fits (tightly) in the Pre and charges ok via the Touchstone.

On first boot the Pre showed it charged at 50%. It seemed to stop charging at 90% - I'm assuming that this is either due to a lack of conditioning, or a limitation in WebOS 1.1.3.
    I'm running it down now for a full charge (via Touchstone) overnight.
    excellent, keep us updated as im thinking of getting one later in the month. Would it not be better to charge via mains as this provides more power than inductive charging (i think)
    Last edited by diggedy; 11/04/2009 at 02:04 PM.
    excellent, keep us updated as im thinking of getting one later in the month. Would it not be better to charge via mains as this provides more power than inductive charging (i think)
    Probably, but I don't fancy my chances unplugging it (without damaging anything) at 6am when I get up for work.
    Martin Golding
    Hi, I've had the seido 1350mA battery in for a couple of days now, and am seeing a definite increase in battery life. I charged overnight and pulled the phone off wednesday morning, it's now thursday morning and battery is showing 52%. However I don't fiddle with it as much as I did when it was new and shiny. On the flip side there may be more gains to be had with a couple more days conditioning.
    The battery itself is one of the revised seido's and is a snug fit inside the pre, no power-off issues. I purchased the battery off ebay.co.uk before I had found this site, took about 2 weeks to get here from the us of a.
    In short, 10/10, it does what it's supposed to.
    After running the Amzer down to 6% and then charging overnight it was 100% when I grabbed the Pre off the Touchstone this morning at 6am.

11:15 AM Currently at 60%, which I can't rate against my usual usage as normally the Pre stays on my office Touchstone when I'm at my desk. Will monitor and update for today, and then do the same next week after some more conditioning.
    Martin Golding
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I'm using Pre 3rd day, and It was charged yesterday overnight, I've disconnected it at 8 AM, and now 26Hrs later (11:30 AM) it has left 14%, ill try to get it trout today
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    hows that battery working out for you codemonkey?
    hows that battery working out for you codemonkey?
    Definitely improving with conditioning. I arrived this morning at work with 81% battery life remaining (with the stock it was usually around 73%). Battery life was about 60% by lunchtime with some net browsing, tweed, a couple of texts and about 5 emails pushed. My drive in to work takes about 40 mins with bluetooth on and Trapster running.

I intend to keep conditioning the battery up, but I'm still charging during the day as I have some internet problems which means I need to spend quite a bit of time on the phone screaming at customer service people

Will try and do a full day on Monday after a couple more days of conditioning, and post back with results then.
    Martin Golding
    Yesterday was my first full day without charging.

8am - 100%
    9.30 pm - 0% (phone shut down automatically and took 1/2 hour of charging to be able to switch back on)

Used it for a couple of phone calls, some MMS and text and about 1 hour of wifi (intermittent).

I am in an area that is just within 3G signal range of the local tower, so the Pre spends a lot of the day switching between G / E / 3G. I presume this has some negative effect on the battery.

Continuing to condition..
    Martin Golding
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Yesterday was my first full day without charging.

8am - 100%
    9.30 pm - 0% (phone shut down automatically and took 1/2 hour of charging to be able to switch back on)

Used it for a couple of phone calls, some MMS and text and about 1 hour of wifi (intermittent).

I am in an area that is just within 3G signal range of the local tower, so the Pre spends a lot of the day switching between G / E / 3G. I presume this has some negative effect on the battery.

Continuing to condition..
    That seems to be running down quite quickly considering what your doing but I believe your right about the signal having a negative effect on the battery, Ive switched 3g off and never looked back
    That seems to be running down quite quickly considering what your doing but I believe your right about the signal having a negative effect on the battery, Ive switched 3g off and never looked back
    Can't do without the 3g myself

Hoping that further conditioning plus a later firmware brings a better battery life...
    Martin Golding
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    So after a few days, would you say theres been any real improvement over the original battery or do they seem the same?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast