Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispazz View Post
    pls activate all but try to cancel email accounts (all) and let us know.
    What a change!!! Switched all Email accounts to 15 minute check et voilŠ - roughly 4 to 5% battery drain per hour. That's MUCH better. It's just that exchange mails are not retrieved at all with this setting, so I set that account back to "as it arrives". Will see how this drains on the battery during the next couple of days. Oh, this 4-5% are with BT, WiFi, GPS on.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    so your change was 3 imap from "when item arrive" to 15 min check interval?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I have a question about WIFI.
    I have email polling ON (gmail - as item arrive).
    I have good 3g coverage at home and also have a WIFI AP.
    During night, since it will sync gmail contact, make a backup and wait for emails, is better to keep WIF ON or OFF for battery issues?
    Keep WiFi on, always. Search for other threads on this.
    A bit of empty consolation for the time being, the GPU is not being used, forcing the CPU to do all the numbers crunching for the display. This is inefficient and wears on the battery. Search other threads on this...no one knows when the GPUs capabilities will be exploited.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    so your change was 3 imap from "when item arrive" to 15 min check interval?
    Exactly. Plus another exchange account from instant to 15 min check, but switched this one back now. Battery seems way more stable now, I will measure during the next days for some numbers.

I aswell switched BT and WiFi ON, but this shouldn't use LESS battery than turned OFF, right?
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    great!

I just switched on my BT and WIFI and changed my only Gmail account from "When item arrive" to 15 minutes check and my battery stopped draining!

First read with very light usage is 0,68% DPH!!
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    I as well switched BT and WiFi ON, but this shouldn't use LESS battery than turned OFF, right?
    BT should be off, if not needed. Concerning wifi, if you are in an area with poor wireless coverage, but wifi, keep the wifi on, else your Pre is constantly trying to find a good signal. Google "maximize palm pre battery life" or something like that...
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    My Pre just hit the 20% point. From 100 to 20, it took 9h 25m with low usage. That's better than what I had before.

@Goyena: I read about that, but I still don't get why an enabled WiFi could save battery unless you are connected to a WiFi network. I don't know, here in Germany most WiFis are password protected so you unlikely to be "online" when not at home, work, or whereever you know the login data. The Pre prolly saves power with data connections thru WiFi instead of 3G, but purely turning WiFi on can't be a power saver in my eyes.
    I'm on 30% remaining after 14 hours, with emails every half hour, screen brightness at lowest possible, probably 20 minutes of calls, 20 text messages, some 3G internet browsing etc.

Overall, a huge improvement on my last Pre
    Yesterday was a high watermark for battery life. Off the 'stone at 8:30. Quite a few emails, 20 minutes of surfing at lunchtime, a good deal of procrastination on Twitter. Downloaded two apps. Quite a bit more surfing at home and about 35 text messages. 11pm, battery was at 25% before going back on the stone.

Guess I can stop worrying about using my Pre now!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamakazikev24 View Post
    Now some of you have had your Pre's for a while can you please post up what sort of battery life your getting. Thanks G.
    My battery lasts a day.

I have turned BlueTooth and GPS off, unless I need them.

I have set the screen brightness to minimum, because it looks really nice even in bright sun light - is it a trans-reflective screen like the old Palm devices used to be?

I have registered my home and work WiFi networks hoping to avoid 3G idle network comms when I'm in range of a friendly WiFi link.
    I assume this will make the battery last longer, especially during the night, by putting the 3G link into a sleep mode (wake up only for incoming calls) or something like that.

Best regards
    Simon
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I cannot understand why the palm is using carrier network data also when there is a full WIFI active.
    If I check my provider logs I can see that the phone is always using DATA also when DATA is switched off.

Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    Who did they ship with?
    FedEx old chap, expediated shipping as they call it, cost about £15 for postage but it arrived super quick in a box the size of Dairy Milk chocolates.
    Okay, battery life with the 1350 seido battery has been improving steadily over the past week. Fully charged this morning at 7am, made a couple of calls 10 mins, push email on, GPS and location services off all day, wifi off all day too, checked stocks (I ain't got much) 4 or 5 times, checked Twitter app 9/10 times, sent a couple of emails.....now 8pm and battery sitting at 73%. Woof woof...as they say. Screen brightness at 50% approx.
    I've discovered the secret to long battery life! By turning off my 3g connection and forcing a 2g connexion with very little phone usage I'm getting a battery drain of about 2.5 percent per hour. Previously with the connexion set to automatic I was getting about 5.5 percent per hour. That's more than double the battery. I'm using the mugen 1400 mah battery btw. So, by my calculations I can get about 40 hours out of this battery!
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benssson View Post
    I've discovered the secret to long battery life! By turning off my 3g connection and forcing a 2g connexion with very little phone usage I'm getting a battery drain of about 2.5 percent per hour. Previously with the connexion set to automatic I was getting about 5.5 percent per hour. That's more than double the battery. I'm using the mugen 1400 mah battery btw. So, by my calculations I can get about 40 hours out of this battery!
    how do you do this good sir?
    try this...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    You can

Go to the phone dialer application. Top leftclick O2-uk which wil bring down a menu and click on "preferences".

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen, second to last box labelled "network". Click on the "network type" next to automatic and choose 2G Only.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    cheers mate, thats should help a lot. the only place I get 3g is at work and its very sporadic.
    i get 3g, but did it make any major difference switching it off?
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peabrain View Post
    i get 3g, but did it make any major difference switching it off?
    im yet to find out with my pre especially as I only just reinstalled the os but with my Iphone and omnia it made a big difference
    Quote Originally Posted by diggedy View Post
    cheers mate, thats should help a lot. the only place I get 3g is at work and its very sporadic.
    dunno if it will make any difference to you as I'm in London and I get a 3G connection pretty much everywhere
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast