Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I had my palm replaced by O2, the new one arrived and I touchstoned it all day at work, got home about 6pm

Took it home and tinkered for a while, nothing too taxing. Went to bed at 10.30 and I was a little shocked to see the battery at 36%, but I presumed it would last till the morning. It didnt, dead as a dodo, and I was a little concerned . This was Thursday.

Today (Sat) she had a good overnight charge, I have my exchange account set to receive mail as they arrive, hotmail and my own email to collect every 5 minites. I've taken around 10 photos, uploaded 4 to facebook, played soduko in the car while my wife did the shopping.

Its now 6pm and I'm at 66% .

I can only presume the Pres battery does need some conditioning, but I'm a happy shopper for sure.
    It seems about 2 weeks into your Pre ownership you will see improved battery life. I don't think it is "battery conditioning" but more the battery meter needing to calibrate to the battery.

Here you can see my usage yesterday. The up ticks in the graph are when I made short trips in the car with the Touchstone. The heavy down ticks in the graph are when I was web browsing. Web browsing BY FAR is the worst on the battery. This is normal for any smartphone though. Being that the web browsing is so good and fast on the Pre doesn't help.

I am on a CDMA Pre FYI...

Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    battery is fine on the gsm pre but i have to use EDGE only. 3g uses drains battery so fast
    Bought the Seido battery, the 1350 one and it improves things, as you would expect. I have location services turned off but push email on, make about 30 mins of call a day, have wifi on when I get home for a couple of hours, the rest of my useage is average and I get a day and a half.
    The Seido was ordered direct from them on Monday night and arrived Thursday morning!
    Who did they ship with?
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    mine is still really really bad........i havent put any brews, teas or coffees! if i use the device for some emails and just check the app store i find it runs out before the next morning!

also why is it that the low battery sound is the SAME as the message received sound?
    Had a really good battery day yesterday. Off the stone at 9, a little YouTube over wifi (about 10 minutes). Few emails, bit of surfing, 20 minute phone call. Went back on the stone at 11pm with 20% showing. I get the impression that the battery estimates go out of the window when you reinstall WebOS, which makes sense.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I have a question about WIFI.
    I have email polling ON (gmail - as item arrive).
    I have good 3g coverage at home and also have a WIFI AP.
    During night, since it will sync gmail contact, make a backup and wait for emails, is better to keep WIF ON or OFF for battery issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    Considering your experience is nothing like the rest of ours either your usage far exceeds us (in which case get a spare or extended battery) or you simply have a bad battery and should get it replaced. Simple. There was also no need for your last section.
    Like I said, that was with no usage. Just sat there doing nothing.

Not one to start trouble, but how is my last remark unnecessary? If someone is enquiring about battery performance, I think it is worth mentioning that you can't use this mobile telephone for trips that last more than half a day.

I got my replacement Pre yesterday, so I'll see if this one's any better. I charged it up last night until about 9pm. Showed off a couple of youtube vids and sent about 20 text messages, so nothing too excessive. My Touch Pro was underwhelming in terms of battery, but that would have used about 40% I reckon.

It's 12:30am and the Pre's just pinged to tell me I have 20% battery. I can't see it lasting another 8 and a half hours to bring it up to a full 24 :P

I otherwise love this phone, so I'm looking into bigger batteris but all I can find on eBay are the HUGE comedy ones. I could live with one just slightly bigger. 1350mah sounds perfect. Now just to find one...
    You are slighting a product based on your very limited experience of it and experience that is not replicated by the vast, vast majority of the userbase. I would call that unfair. You had a bad battery. It happens. I certainly hope you did not get a replacement Pre based on what you have posted thus far because it has nothing to do with the actual device.

Still please keep us updated on your extended battery hunt as several people here are also in the market.

Nope, dead pixel and sticky keyboard for the replacement.

I am just giving an honest account of my experience with the device after a week with some examples of how it affects my everyday use. I stand by my statement. I can just about put up with charging every few hours, but I couldn't recommend it to any of my friends as I know that is unacceptable to most people.

I don't think it is just my 'limited' experience. Most people in this thread are reporting 'good' days as when the battery lasts 14 - 15 hours with minimal use. The internet is awash with palm pre battery complaints!

For whatever 'conditioning' we can do, the standby life of this product out of the box is terrible. It's a bit of a poor show to have to put my Pre on an intensive training regime for 2 weeks with the hope that it might be able to last a day at best.

I guess I notice it more because I leave for work at 8:30am, and don't get home until about 10:30pm. I am unable to use internet on the work computers so I kinda rely on it. By the time I'm home, it's long dead.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    palm as saved a bug about german pre always using 2g/3g connections for email instead of wifi (even when available).
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_freegan View Post
    I am just giving an honest account of my experience with the device after a week with some examples of how it affects my everyday use. I stand by my statement. I can just about put up with charging every few hours, but I couldn't recommend it to any of my friends as I know that is unacceptable to most people.

I don't think it is just my 'limited' experience. Most people in this thread are reporting 'good' days as when the battery lasts 14 - 15 hours with minimal use. The internet is awash with palm pre battery complaints!

For whatever 'conditioning' we can do, the standby life of this product out of the box is terrible. It's a bit of a poor show to have to put my Pre on an intensive training regime for 2 weeks with the hope that it might be able to last a day at best.

I guess I notice it more because I leave for work at 8:30am, and don't get home until about 10:30pm. I am unable to use internet on the work computers so I kinda rely on it. By the time I'm home, it's long dead.
    You are still basing your opinion on the overall device on what appears to be a bad battery and limited experience. It is hardly a fair assessment when your experience is completely different to the vast majority of the userbase. The members here are a small fraction of that userbase and of those an even smaller fraction have reported poor battery life. Some will involve a bad battery which obviously happens and some will involve their use far exceeding everyone else. That is before we consider that a proportion of users have been whining after a couple of days when their use is obviously not normal because of the 'shiny shiny' effect and their battery has not had enough cycles to hit top capacity. Funnily enough it usually involves new posters. Your attempts to use Internet complaints to either form a judgement or back up your own in regard to battery life is being very short sighted.

I have worked similar hours to you and have encountered no problems and my battery life is improving not only because of conditioning and the end of the 'shiny shiny' effect but also because I am now running 1.2.1. If your daily routine is taxing the Pre (like using it as your primary Internet device as you admitted to) then I would advise you to look into extended batteries now and also wait until we offically get webOS parity as it does improve battery life.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I can confirm that after 1.2.1 sprint upgrade on my german pre the battery seems to drain slower.
    I will confirm tomorrow after the night.
    My GSM Pre is 13 days young, battery drain monitored this morning:

Started at 100%, down to 11% in 4h 25m. That's nearly 20% per hour. I am pretty p****d about this.

Usage: none at all, completely idle. WiFi off. GPS on, but only activated upon request. 3 IMAP accounts, 1 exchange, 1 POP.

This is really unacceptable for me. And I can't see what the point of a smartphone would be if I needed to turn off everything what makes this device what it is.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    pls activate all but try to cancel email accounts (all) and let us know.
    My battery seems ok. I was warned when I bought it to expect to charge it everyday and I do. When I first got it I charged it up and then fully discharged it. It was actually quite hard to discharge fully. It got down to 20% quite quickly but then overnight it hardly moved at all.

Anyway, I think the reported battery status is not very accurate. It will lose quite a bit quickly but then go down more slowly as at gets below 50% - at least that how it seems to me.

I don't find playing music has that big an effect on the battery.
    I took it off the Touchstone at 0900 this morning with it reading 96% battery life remaining. We drove down to Hamilton and I listened to music for an hour on route. I have made three phone calls for approximately 20 mins and numerous texts. At lunch time I used the Internet and specifically Google Maps to arrange a job for Wednesday. I have been in and out of a stock room so my signal has been erratic. No Wifi nor BT yet. Battery reads 53%.

I'm still on the job and have only been texting since my last post until I logged in here. The batteryis at 41%.

I'm back home now. My Pre lasted from 0900-2340 (14hrs 40mins) before I got the 20% warning.

My usage was roughly:

Music - 90 mins
    Internet - 40 mins
    Calls - 30 mins
    GPS - 10 mins
    Texts - 8 mins
    Email - 5 mins (I get email from 5 accounts hourly)
    IM - 2 mins

It is far less calls than a normal day and I usually use BT for them so I do not expect it to last quite as long normally although I suppose I do have a 20% reserve based on the above.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast