Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Hello, I've been pouring over Pre information for the last 4 days and made the decision to order a Pre despite the potential build quality issues.

I would like to hear from people who have had the Pre for any length of time and are happy with it. Have you had any build quality issues and are still happy?

Please, I only want to hear from people who have had good experiences with the Pre.
    First of all, ordering a Pre was the best decision you could make. You have an exciting future ahead of you. Secondly, I have been a member of this forum for a couple months now and read most if not all of the threads front to back. I have seen people with issues as far as build quality many-a-time, most popular issue being what they call the "oreo effect". This happens to almost everyone at some point, but it scales in it's extremity based on how heavily you use the phone. Pretty much the forward half of the phone will develop play in a twisting sense. Some people have claimed almost a millimeter of play, but for me it was about half a millimeter. There are solutions for it everywhere; I even have one of my own, but you should be able to find one that suits you if it happens. Other than that the Pre is a VERY solid build phone. The sliding is top-notch, the edges are seemless, and it feels very sturdy for being entirely cased in plastic.

Another thing I should bring up considering you're a new user. I have been using a screen protector since I first bought the phone. An invisible shield by Zagg that I assumed I would need as I've used it with every phone. I used to scratch my keys on my phone just to show off how it couldn't be scratched, that was until I met a girl at a bar and did it and tore the screen protector to shreds :P I digress, I've recently taken it off and I can say it is a much smoother experience. The screen feels like touching liquid, and is sufficiently bright enough to cut through fingerprints. I keep my phone in the same pocket as my keys and have no ill effects. Trust me, this phone is my best friend (sad but true) and I would cry if the screen had a permanent mark on it. Still I have no worries it will do fine in my pocket.

I hope this helps, and let me be the first to welcome you to PreCentral!
    Enjoy your stay.
    I'm happy with mine... I got it mid-July and nothing has fallen off of it, cracked, etc. There's a little bit of play in my slider, but only after I dropped it. I use it heavily and it has rebooted on me once... all the updates have gone smoothly as well.

Coming from a previous smartphone, I'm familiar with some of the quirks with them (Treo700p). Yeah, the phone still lacks some features and settings I would like to see, and I reboot it at least once a week, but it is still young and getting better with updates and patches.

The phone works for me.
    I'm very happy with mine.

Will you be happy with one? Simple: Answer these three questions. If you answer 'no' to #1, stop there and get a different phone. If you answer yes to number one, ask yourself the other two. If you can answer 'yes' to #2 OR #3, you'll be very happy with the Pre.

1. Do you understand and accept the basic concept that battery life is not good on smart phones, and the more powerful/connected/compact the smartphone is, the worse the battery life gets?

2. Would you be satisfied with a phone that has a really slick and intuitive interface but limited options in terms of both customization and software?

3. Are you able to patiently read and follow directions to get homebrew software going on your Pre without freaking out if something goes wrong and you have to do a little work?

The beautiful thing about the Pre, even though people complain about it, is that Palm followed the KISS principle. There are plenty of features it does not have right out of the box. If simple is what you want, you don't have to do anything. You've got yourself a nice, simple, reliable smartphone without any hassle or tons of options you'll never use anyway.

If you want to do all sorts of crazy hacking and patching and make your phone just the way you want it, like I do, you can because palm kept the whole system as open as reasonably possible. I've got all sorts of patches installed, a couple of which I wrote myself, tons of homebrew software, a custom theme. All kinds of goodies like a web server, and SSH over EVDO, sftp so I don't even have to plug it in to add or remove files, the works.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    I've had mine since Aug 27 and absolutely love it. Oreo effect is not too big a deal for me and the rest of the phone feels real solid. This community is great and the apps and patches make the phone shine compared to anything else out there. I strongly recommend the Seidio Innocase and the ProClip if you intend to mount the phone in your car. Enjoy!
    Had mine for 5 weeks.

Love it!

Mandatory accessories:
    Touchstone
    Car charger
    ZAGG!

No build issues (knock, knock).
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I've had mine a couple weeks not and wished I'd have done it sooner. I absolutely love it and they are coming out with new apps every day. No issues here so far
    yeah im in the happy !!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I've had my GSM Pre just a week now, so I'm not in a position to talk about the long term reliability, but I will say that so far I love my Pre. Its just really enjoyable to use and the browser, mail and IM/SMS apps are great, which are the most important things for me.

The battery life is not the best, thats true, but it has actually improved a bit since the first couple days, and it lasts me the whole day now. I had a N95 which i needed to charge every night too so it its not much different than that. Also the step up from nokias s60 OS to webOS is enormous, so much better and really compliments the Pre's hardware.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Great feedback so far, guys!

I am coming from a T-Mobile G1 running CyanogenMod. I specifically went to the android platform for the hacking/customization potential and and specifically leaving because of the recent clampdown on ROM cookers, so I will be rooting, running Preware, patching, etc. to get the most out of my Pre. (holy run-on sentence batman)
    I love the Pre and I've had a lot of smart phones. It's the most "fun" I've had with a phone. Regarding the screen protector I'd recommend boxwave. You really can't tell a difference with it on or off. It's smooth just like the original screen and can be taken off and washed if necessary. I use them on all my devices.

Since you like to "play" with your phone I believe you will love the Pre. Mine has been solid as far as build quality goes. I made sure I got a good one to begin with and I baby my phone because I want to keep it that way.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I am very happy with mine. I am no techie and have not modified anything. I certainly have a wish list for it, but big improvement over my 700p and glad I bought it.
    I am very happy, yes the battery doesn't last, but given all the stuff going on not surprised. Sprint gave me 2 extra batteries when I bought the phone and I had 2 for my old 800w, therefore 5, therefore no battery problems, just boot wait problems. I love PreWare and all the patches and apps. No problems with build quality.
    Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Launch day Pre here, no hardware problems (well, I did have the "stuck in headset mode" issue, but I fixed that with a qtip and some rubbing alcohol--I believe all Pre are susceptible to this issue).

There have been threads about people who are still on their first Pre. There are a lot of us, but we're less vocal than the malcontents.
    Launch day Pre here...everything has gone smooth thus far with everything. I do have an IS on my phone as I wanted to make sure it was protected. Yesterday I did notice a crak in the tiny platic trim below the USB port, as I was too cheap to buy a TS so I plug my Pre in constantly to listen to Pandora. Easy fix of superglue and I am good to go. Some minor play with the slider too, but nothing major, just OCD issue I guess.

BUT overall still way impressed with the implementation of the Pre, and still cant put it down for one second. Goes very nicely with a Plantronics Voyager Pro bluetooth headset.
    Only had mine for a couple of weeks, but I love it so far. No build quality issues worth noting. I think you'll like it!

/Kevin
    I have an iPhone 3GS, Pre and Treo 750 and find myself using the Pre for almost everything except playing games. The iPhone excels there but for sms, mms, IM, calls and all that I use the Pre.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I'm at the end of my 30 day period, and I've had no problems with the build quality. The screen looks great, and I've got zero oreo. The only thing that might tempt me away is the Nokia N900, but I don't know if I want to carry around that larger brick. I really like the smaller from factor of the Pre, so I think I'll stick with it. It's been great.
  19. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    mmmm Pre is good, mkay?
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I got mine on launch day in June. It's still my first one and I love it. I love it more each day as new patches, apps, and updates make it better and better. No oreo issue for me, but the slider sticks a little. Nothing major.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast