Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Here is a good indicator of how many people like the Pre on PreCentral.net

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ow-thread.html
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s33ker View Post
    Great feedback so far, guys!

I am coming from a T-Mobile G1 running CyanogenMod. I specifically went to the android platform for the hacking/customization potential and and specifically leaving because of the recent clampdown on ROM cookers, so I will be rooting, running Preware, patching, etc. to get the most out of my Pre. (holy run-on sentence batman)
    I come from the Treo 700p and I have to say this is such a great improvement! Also if you are into hacking phones... This phone is absolutely the best! It truly is fully customizable--- if you are not afraid of hacking the phone --- and even with all the hacks, by what I understand, you can recover almost from any bricked phone situation.

Even With all the hacks I've done I really have not had any bricked situation... but I am sure someone here on Precentral has and recovered...
    Had mine since launch day. i'm fairly happy. Never had the issues that people here do.
    What makes you think that they won't be locking down the Pre as time goes by?

I think that because Palm has been tolerant of the homebrew community from the start that people believe that they are going to let hackers live in harmony.

But I think that once Palm really makes major changes to the OS and fixing the glitches and can get it to where they can start moving forward on the features as well as get their app store chugging along, they are going to have conflicts with the homebrew community and let them go.

The homebrew community serves a purpose now. Palm needed them. I mean what does the phone have without homebrew? Without them the phone would be a phone waiting on Palm to patch, update the features and offer apps for. But just my thought that someday, they'll lock them out. They may say it's unintentional and part changes of WebOS 2.0 that were unavoidable... but they'll lock them out.

Great feedback so far, guys!

I am coming from a T-Mobile G1 running CyanogenMod. I specifically went to the android platform for the hacking/customization potential and and specifically leaving because of the recent clampdown on ROM cookers, so I will be rooting, running Preware, patching, etc. to get the most out of my Pre. (holy run-on sentence batman)
    launch day pre, here. None of the regularly reported build issues...only a slight bit of oreo. Happy as can be, my first early adoption and i'm proud to be on the forefront of WebOS.
    I've been using an iPhone for the last two years (3G + 3GS). I recently had a problem with my latest iPhone and as a result decided to bin it. I was in London at the time so I went into an O2 shop and got one (at about 6:45pm). After playing with it over night I was absolutely appalled by the device. I found it seriously lacking in functionality and the device in my eyes was almost unusable. The next morning I went straight back to the O2 store to replace it with something else as I was leaving that day.

While I was waiting to talk to someone about the replacement I started to think about my decision, why was I giving up on this device after a few hours play. I've been using Linux operating systems for years and always enjoyed tinkering around with things and making them work for me. So I took the device home and set about looking for ways to improve the pre. That is what led me to this forum. In the space of an evening I went from a Pre hater to an absolute advocate. In its OEM form the device is awful and does not stand up against the likes of the iPhone. The game completely changes when you load up preware and start patching parts of the OS. Suddenly this device becomes the product Palm should have launched.

I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks the Pre will face is user perception for people who already have or have seen an iPhone. If you're not going to be first to market with a product you damn well better make sure you're better. The pre can be better, but you unfortunately have to "tinker" with its internals to make it so.

I don't regret my decision to keep the pre one bit and I can't think of one reason why I would move back to the iPhone (ok maybe the app store).

So in a long winded answer to the question, I am an extremely happy pre owner now, but I certainly wasn't when I first picked it up. I can honestly say that this device will only get better as more and more people start to play with its internals. I just hope that Palm acknowledges this and works with the developers rather than against them (I'm looking at you Apple!!).
    Still basically happy with the Pre and WebOS. I've noticed lately that some people seem to be getting a bit impatient about whether WebOS will succeed now that some other new smart-phones are appearing soon in the pipeline. I'm hoping Palm can keep up the pace (so they can retain enough market share to be successful).

Regarding the device itself, I purchased a pre on June 6, 2009 (launch day) which developed the oreo effect (which I'd say all Pre's will develop to some extent). Mine will oreo about 1 mm now but this has absolutely no effect on the operation of the phone itself. (Even the oreo-ing can be fixed - if it bothers you and you are brave enough to strengthen the rails, but I've proven that even bad oreo-ing has absolutely no negative effect on the actual operation of the phone.)

Mine also has backlight LEDs of slightly mismatched brightness (and this also has no effect other than being a bit annoying when you view a screen with a light blue background). I was pretty confident that these issues would not affect the operation of the Pre, and if my Pre ever develops a stress crack or something, I'll have enough other things "wrong" with it that I can justify an exchange.

I never put a screen protector on my Pre (and I have one scratch, about 3 mm in length on the screen), but otherwise it's held up pretty well to my abuse (keeping it in my pocket, trying, but not always remembering to keep my car keys in another pocket). So I'd have to say that given the way I abuse this thing (dropped it about 10 times since I've owned it), that it's held up extremely well.

One last issue I've heard a bit about (but never experienced personally) was people saying that their power button has failed, but I've also read that that problem can happen about a month or two after people have dunked their Pre in water and then dried it out. I never dunked my phone, but it has gotten pretty sweaty in my shirt pocket while helping a friend do repairs on his house.

So the bottom line (from a person who doesn't baby his phone) is that even launch day Pre's can stand up to as much abuse as an old Nokia phone would take. I believe you have nothing to worry about with the Pre itself. It is a solid phone that should last you 3-5 years if you want it to last that long.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I love my Pre. I got it since 10/1. It has very very slight Oreo, but it is completely eliminated by the Sprint case. Other than that, I don't have any other issues (knock on wood)

I have had WinMo for many years. And I compared the Pre to HTC Hero/Android as well. I like both WinMo and Android. However, I think Android is very confusing to me as of what apps are still running and what is not. Or what can be running in the background and what cannot. I might need to spend more time using it.

However, after playing with HTC Hero, I am glad I chose the Pre for its simple and elegant interface. To me, handheld devices already have very small screen. I don't need a lot of things to clutter the screen.

I love my Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    What makes you think that they won't be locking down the Pre as time goes by? ...
    There is no way they can ever lock homebrew out of the Pre because any phone can be re-doctored to a previous webos doctor before any such hypothetical change of heart. At that point, you would then turn off auto-updates. The user community would revolt and then start building their own services on the phone (basically replacing components of WebOS and Luna with services of their own). That sort of would be "mutiny" but that would be the response if Palm ever tried to lock this thing down. You can rest assured that what you worry about will never happen!
    Love, love, love, my Pre!!! even with some of the limitations (as mentioned by others), this is by far the best cell phones I have ever had (and I will have been with sprint for 10 years this december and had lots of phones ranging from the Motorola Startac to 3 different Treo models).

Does it still need some work? absolutely! But with the homebrew community and Patches, I would not trade this phone in at all!

Oh, and I have had to swap my Pre in for a broken ringer switch... but Sprint ordered me a Refurb and it has been fine since!
    I love my pre.. it's basically the dreamcast of the smartphone world, but its fate is still up in the air.
    Hello, I've been pouring over Pre information for the last 4 days and made the decision to order a Pre despite the potential build quality issues.

I would like to hear from people who have had the Pre for any length of time and are happy with it. Have you had any build quality issues and are still happy?

Please, I only want to hear from people who have had good experiences with the Pre.
    I really like mine. No oreo effect, nice screen, no cracking and great sound quality. I use the calender for all my appointments.. love the push email and notifications.. I especially love the notifications.. so much less unobtrusive. The true potential of the phone shines with Preware though and the patches.. without those, the phone would be a little more boring. I love adding themes and capabilities. It is so simple to add patches via preware as well. I don't play graphic intensive games as I think playing any game on a 3" screen is a waste of time.. but I do like the puzzle games, etc. this phone is definitely a keeper.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Add me to the satisfied numbers. Got mine launch day, dabbled a bit with homebrew/patches but mostly a "stock" Pre. Love that the updates seem to make it better. Go Pre!
    I like the phone alot, its finally become the phone I wanted it to be but mainly because of the people here
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I wrote this up before I saw this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...s-learned.html
    Quote Originally Posted by rkkeller View Post
    I have an iPhone 3GS, Pre and Treo 750 and find myself using the Pre for almost everything except playing games. The iPhone excels there but for sms, mms, IM, calls and all that I use the Pre.
    How the heck do you justify paying for THREE phone subscriptions?

We're talking nearly $300 a month for phones! I'm just curious because I wonder how anyone can justify that.

Unless work is paying for the other two or something; that would make sense.
    Thanks for your suggestions. I think you were right to place it in a new thread, as a first post. (Others might not agree, but I feel a new thread on the "care and feeding" of the Pre is a good thing.)
    so your saying you can web doctor it back to 1.0 and stop autoupdate... fine.

but if they are at 2.0 and they have changed the OS and everything is working fine and working with apps store. you are effectively locked out unless you upgrade and then homebrew is locked out unless they truly hack into it... which is what hackers do... but without Palms blessing anymore... which is basically how it is with the iPhone.

I'm just saying that once they get WebOS going, there is no need for homebrew and with the direction they are going, they can't risk supporting homebrew and then if their stuff starts crashing their OS they are in a position to support them or allow apps to take away from their appstore.

The homebrew community will still exist but as any other community in other platforms like iPhone or PSP, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    There is no way they can ever lock homebrew out of the Pre because any phone can be re-doctored to a previous webos doctor before any such hypothetical change of heart. At that point, you would then turn off auto-updates. The user community would revolt and then start building their own services on the phone (basically replacing components of WebOS and Luna with services of their own). That sort of would be "mutiny" but that would be the response if Palm ever tried to lock this thing down. You can rest assured that what you worry about will never happen!
    donm527,
    With all due respect, you have a valid point here, but we would mutiny under such a change and Palm would know they have incited a war they do not want to fight. I for one, would like to see some homebrew services be developed to hack things like the microphone in advance of when (if ever) that Palm opens up such a service.

If Palm were not to do useful things in a timely manner, resourceful users would take things into their own hands. That might be a lot of work, but in such a case you would start to see functionality that mimics and replaces webos being done in open source. Palm and the carriers would never want that, so they will likely keep the hombrewers happy so that they remain in control.
    I've had mine since July and I'm absolutely in love with it. No oreo issue yet but since I use it so much you never know. There's just so much you can do with it & to know that it'll keep getting better I really do recommend it. It's a mini computer. Honestly it's GREAT!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast