1.    #1  
    So i've had my Pre only a few days and i think its fantastic, but i never seem to get any 3G reception?!

I live in North London and work in central London [Oxford Street/Regent Street area] but only ever seem to get the 'E' logo at the top. If i turn the Pre off and on the '3G' does pop up for a minute or so but then it goes. I checked the network settings and it says automatic, but if i select 3G only, i get zero signal.

Is there a way to check the 3G chip is working properly? I thought 3G coverage was supposed to be abundant around London, and looking at the coverage maps online, it says they are. Its just starting to frustrate me.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers
    I'd think if you have a 3G signal your phone would have it. Mine up here in merseyside has a 3G signal, admittedly it's only 3 bars.

You might want to call O2 and check the coverage with them? Or nip into your local O2 store and speak to them.
    Ask friends who are on o2 if there getting a 3g signal on there phones. If they are and your not then there may be something up. From my use of an iphone 3g around north london I know the signal can be a little hit and miss.
    Did you get the Pre brand new with a new sim card? If not are you using your sim from a previous phone? It could be that the sim is not a 3G enabled one.
    Another thing to look at - in the phone preferences make sure that the setting is not inadvertantly set to 'only 2G'. The choices are Auto, 2G or 3G !
    im in north london, and get 3G reception (its very good in the loft!). However on the iphone (also on o2) if i go downstairs then its pretty poor. In which case i usually just use the wifi
    3G reception is very good, on part with my old Nokia n82 which was good signal wise too, albeit it does seem to lose network connection every few hours for half a minute or so, anyone else having this issue?
    I'm in area where I cannot get 3G at all and I can't find a way to force the phone to 2G to improve battery life. Can you please point me in the right direction.

MTIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsta View Post
    I'm in area where I cannot get 3G at all and I can't find a way to force the phone to 2G to improve battery life. Can you please point me in the right direction.

MTIA
    You can

Go to the phone dialer application. Top leftclick O2-uk which wil bring down a menu and click on "preferences".

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen, second to last box labelled "network". Click on the "network type" next to automatic and choose 2G Only.
    Last edited by Adam Carr; 10/23/2009 at 10:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    You can

Go to the phone dialer application. Top right click O2-/uk which wil bring down a menu and click on "preferences".

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen, second to last box labelled "network". Click on the "network type" next to automatic and choose 2G Only.
    You absolute legend I don't know why I didn't see that there. I was pooring through all the settings apps and getting very annoyed. Come to think of it, I did look in that menu the other day. Oh well, Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsta View Post
    You absolute legend I don't know why I didn't see that there. I was pooring through all the settings apps and getting very annoyed. Come to think of it, I did look in that menu the other day. Oh well, Thanks.
    Anytime, thats what were here for. Dw i only came across that setting myself yesterday whilst finding ways to save some damn battery life =P

Hope youre enjoying your Pre =)
  12.    #12  
    andrewwardlaw was right! I never knew a SIM card could dictate whether you received 3G or not. Apparently my SIM was ancient, so I know have a 3G SIM and it'll become live in the next 24hours.

Quick related question:
    Is there a way to copy the contact of my SIM onto the Pre? I've looked, but i can't seem to find anything. Im assuming it isn't done automatically. Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers
    You can add the new O2 3G SIM card as an Account within the Contacts app. But I couldn't find any way of copying them to the Pre.
    I couldn't even get it to work by putting my old SIM card into a Nokia 6300 phone and send them via BlueTooth - how bad is that.
    In the end I used the Nokia to upload all the SIM contacts to its memory. Swapped SIMs and then dumped the Nokia's memory to the new O2 3G SIM card... my wife thought that was funny!
    I thought it was just sad. Can't get BlueTooth contacts onto the Pre, and can't even sync with Palm Desktop... :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by mullengers View Post
    You can add the new O2 3G SIM card as an Account within the Contacts app. But I couldn't find any way of copying them to the Pre.
    I couldn't even get it to work by putting my old SIM card into a Nokia 6300 phone and send them via BlueTooth - how bad is that.
    In the end I used the Nokia to upload all the SIM contacts to its memory. Swapped SIMs and then dumped the Nokia's memory to the new O2 3G SIM card... my wife thought that was funny!
    I thought it was just sad. Can't get BlueTooth contacts onto the Pre, and can't even sync with Palm Desktop... :-(
    yeah this is a big disappointment for me too, every phone i've had for years was able to do this!
    BUT it seems bluetooth file transfer is coming via a firmware update.......
    As for transferring contacts from one phone to another i'm still clueless! (assuming you dont do what you did, the hard way)
  15.    #15  
    I was in the end able to copy the contacts from the old phone onto new SIM, then onto Pre. But obviously i know too many people with long names as the majority of them weren't complete on the Pre straight away. All sorted now though
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    ive learned in the past to keep all my contacts in outlook, a lot of phones now sync with it or have programs which will recognise the csv. files. With the pre I uploaded the csv. file to google and synced it. Google is the future I reckon