Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I apologize if I am posting this threat in the wrong place.

Is there an upgrade to enable 3G on the palm pre? (if its not initially enabled)

I live in Laredo, Texas and according to a student in one of my university classes her husband has the palm pre also and she says he recently upgraded his phone and now he gets 3G signal on some places here in Laredo.

I've checked the sprint 3G coverage map but it doesn't show any 3g coverage here.

It be great if there was, thats the only thing ive been waiting for since i bought the pre.

But Upgrade for 3G sounds a little off. I mean but also why else would she lie by the way she had a BB Tour and she claimed she also gets 3G on some places here also?
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Kinda sounds like she doesnt know what 3G is, either that or she is Roaming on someone elses 3G network on occasion in a spot here and there. If the map doesnt show 3G in your area (i havent looked) then there likely isnt much around. The maps arent always 100% correct, but in my area they tend to be pretty accurate.
    3G is "enabled" on the Pre. It's your coverage, not the phone.
    I don't believe you can roam on a 3g network (it'll put you on an older network).
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    sucks..... she really got my hopes high, tmobile verizon and att all have 3G here except for sprint but maybe they're working on it . who knows? =(
    The phone by default does not have data roaming enabled. Open the dialer app and then go to preferences. From there you can enable data roaming.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Correct me if I am wrong please. You said she had a BB Tour. The BB Tour is a World Phone. It has the options of running on GSM, CDMA, 3G (ATT)etc..

The pre is a CDMA phone. It will run on CDMA networks (USA) and not GSM (Euro).

From what I know 3G is just the name given to the Network Technology. So in essence the EV Connection on your pre "is" 3G.

You could also try to enable Data Roaming on the pre. Be carefull though I hear some people have been charged for Data Roaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunkin View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong please. You said she had a BB Tour. The BB Tour is a World Phone. It has the options of running on GSM, CDMA, 3G (ATT)etc..
    No, world phones sold in the US for a CDMA network never work on the domestic GSM networks (at least not that I've ever seen).
    Quote Originally Posted by ROKRz6m View Post
    I apologize if I am posting this threat in the wrong place.

Is there an upgrade to enable 3G on the palm pre? (if its not initially enabled)

I live in Laredo, Texas and according to a student in one of my university classes her husband has the palm pre also and she says he recently upgraded his phone and now he gets 3G signal on some places here in Laredo.

I've checked the sprint 3G coverage map but it doesn't show any 3g coverage here.

It be great if there was, thats the only thing ive been waiting for since i bought the pre.

But Upgrade for 3G sounds a little off. I mean but also why else would she lie by the way she had a BB Tour and she claimed she also gets 3G on some places here also?
    THREAT??
    Why u threatening us?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    hahahaha sorry thread lol Ima keeell you all......jk lol but yeah i heard from a best buy rep. and my managers sister that works for sprint that evdo is coming to laredo in november!!! but then againhow would they know i dont know