Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    my battery was problemly lasting just enough to get throug the day. Now around the time of the 1.2 update my phone can't even make it 5 to 6 hours of the day. I don't know if its the update or if my battery is just getting ****ter by the day but it never was this bad and I prob use it less then before in the last 30 mins it has gone down 11%
    wierd. My phone lasts more than a day. Maybe you should let it drain till its dead then charge it back up. Turn off aim, email sync, and anything else that can be running in the background like find my pre etc. See if the battery lasts longer. Then add what u need see whats actually doing it.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    go get a battery. Sprint will give you one for free, just tell them your battery is not working
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    wierd. My phone lasts more than a day. Maybe you should let it drain till its dead then charge it back up.
    That is tragically bad advice.

Generally speaking, a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery should never be completely drained. Manufacturers go a LONG way out of their way to prevent this from happening with constant low battery reminders and devices that shut them selves off when the battery level is critically low.

Draining these kinds of batteries completely can cause permanent damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by jongo View Post
    my battery was problemly lasting just enough to get throug the day. Now around the time of the 1.2 update my phone can't even make it 5 to 6 hours of the day. I don't know if its the update or if my battery is just getting ****ter by the day but it never was this bad and I prob use it less then before in the last 30 mins it has gone down 11%
    I see a lot about the battery but never had an issue with it. It lasts far longer than my mogul ever did with the same usage and I don't have to turn the screen all the way down to make it do it. No way I don't make it a full day under normal use.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post

Generally speaking, a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery should never be completely drained. Manufacturers go a LONG way out of their way to prevent this from happening with constant low battery reminders and devices that shut them selves off when the battery level is critically low.

No its not. The palm pre has a battery protection circuit that will turn off the phone before the battery reaches that point. It wont even let you turn the phone back on till you charge it. We dont know how the palm pre software is monitoring battery use. It could be a combination of voltage and mah monitoring so draining the phone may reset the starting point. A full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation. Im an electrical engineer. The phone wont let the battery drop below 2.7-3.0v
    I went to the sprint store today and they gave me a spare for free which actually keeps an excellent charge. So far non stop heavy web use since 2 mountain time and initial was 50 and now i'm at 20. That's what 12.5% drain an hour. And when I say heavy data use I mean heavy and I also have gps on.
    Last edited by Brownbear50; 10/22/2009 at 07:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    after writing that post my battery went down 7% in 10 minutes so it went down 18% in just about 40 minutes
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zdragon View Post
    I see a lot about the battery but never had an issue with it. It lasts far longer than my mogul ever did with the same usage and I don't have to turn the screen all the way down to make it do it. No way I don't make it a full day under normal use.
    I have my mogul here (there are still apps on it that I use-and I use wifi) and it has sat here since 10AM monday. It has 20% battery left. I typically get about 7-9 hours on full charge on my pre with no apps, no calls, and no text messages. I also have followed all the tips in the battery extension thread. I will pick up a spare battery if I decide to keep the thing (I am stuck with it now, I just crossed 30 days). I am going to play with the Leo next weekend however and see if I like it better.

The Pre is both a fantastic phone and a terrible one at the same time. Its like someone is making your favorite meal, only they serve it to you half-done.
    What did you have to tell Sprint for them to give you a spare battery?
    Try making sure all your messaging apps are not keeping you logged in. Had great battery life.....then I noticed it started dropping fast. Went from 2-3.5%/hr to 11% per hour...and climbing.

Logged out of GoogleTalk. Turned off phone and back on...and voila...problem fixed. Just turning phone off and on does nothing to fix it.

btw: GPS and all other functions are exactly as purchased and defaulted to ON. I recently installed the homebrew stuff and Battery monitor was the first app from homebrew to use. Works great to get a good graphic display of how much the battery is dropping.
    Last edited by CanadianPre; 10/22/2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: update
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post

I don't mean to be rude, but I have yet to EVER read that draining a lithium battery to dead is 'bad' for it. On the flip side, I HAVE read (manufacturer documents-several of them) that a lithium battery only has a 'set' number of charges. Doesn't matter if its a 5% charge or a 100% charge, its counted as ONE charge. Typically the lithium batteries have 1000 charges (also DIRECTLY from manufacturer documents).

Feel free to charge your Pre every 10 or 15 minutes. Please don't post here in 6 months about how you can't figure out why your battery is dead.
    wierd. My phone lasts more than a day. Maybe you should let it drain till its dead then charge it back up. Turn off aim, email sync, and anything else that can be running in the background like find my pre etc. See if the battery lasts longer. Then add what u need see whats actually doing it.
    and you're able to do this on the standard battery? when i had standard battery i could do half a day with minimum use

i know have 2600 seido and it lasts a day and a half with much use
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but I have yet to EVER read that draining a lithium battery to dead is 'bad' for it. On the flip side, I HAVE read (manufacturer documents-several of them) that a lithium battery only has a 'set' number of charges. Doesn't matter if its a 5% charge or a 100% charge, its counted as ONE charge. Typically the lithium batteries have 1000 charges (also DIRECTLY from manufacturer documents).

Feel free to charge your Pre every 10 or 15 minutes. Please don't post here in 6 months about how you can't figure out why your battery is dead.
    You're mistaken.

Draining a lithium battery fully is very bad for it. Perhaps the reason you've not heard about this is because most high end electronic devices contain circuitry to prevent these full, damaging discharges. This means that many lithium batteries have 20% or more charge left when their devices register them as completely empty. Were these devices to permit full discharge, the life cycle of the battery would be severely shortened.

Additionally, all charge cycles are not equal. When counting charge cycles, a 5% charge counts as just 1 / 20th of a charge cycle.

In other words, if a manufacturer rates a lithium battery at 1000 charge cycles, the battery can equally handle 1000 complete discharge / recharge cycles, or 20,000 5% discharge / recharge cycles before falling below the manufacturer threshold. Even then the battery will continue to function, but at an ever decreasing capacity.
    No its not. The palm pre has a battery protection circuit that will turn off the phone before the battery reaches that point. It wont even let you turn the phone back on till you charge it. We dont know how the palm pre software is monitoring battery use. It could be a combination of voltage and mah monitoring so draining the phone may reset the starting point. A full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation. Im an electrical engineer. The phone wont let the battery drop below 2.7-3.0v
    Bingo.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    bummer, I've been extremely happy with my battery. I've gotten close to 16 hours with heavily fading reception and lots of web browsing. Maybe you have a dud battery?
    My battery lasts all day if I use it normally. If I'm in a poor signal area, however, it drains like the dickens.
    I have a new Pre as of yesterday and have to say battery is terrible compared to my iPhone 3gs I had. The Pre seems to have better battery life today after I installed a homebrew app that turns off gps. I thought I had the GPS off, but apparently not. The battery is better but still not so good.
    Hmm. I unplugged my phone at about 9:30am this morning and it's currently 11:51pm and my phone is at 72% battery. Now, I have used this phone a good bit during the day. I even accidentally left a couple cards open without being fully aware. Yet, it's still at 72%.

After that 1.2.1 update my battery just starting kicking major ***. I could easily last 2 days on a battery charge.

I have everything running too. GPS/AIM/Gtalk/Update mail as it comes. Everything... The only thing I don't have is the brightness blasted. It's at like 25% brightness.

So I have no clue why my battery is awesome all of a sudden... But it is and I am thankful!
    Quote Originally Posted by jbelew View Post
    go get a battery. Sprint will give you one for free, just tell them your battery is not working
    do they need the battery? or do they just give u a nother one?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast