Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawandvital View Post
    Hmm. I unplugged my phone at about 9:30am this morning and it's currently 11:51pm and my phone is at 72% battery. Now, I have used this phone a good bit during the day. I even accidentally left a couple cards open without being fully aware. Yet, it's still at 72%.

After that 1.2.1 update my battery just starting kicking major ***. I could easily last 2 days on a battery charge.

I have everything running too. GPS/AIM/Gtalk/Update mail as it comes. Everything... The only thing I don't have is the brightness blasted. It's at like 25% brightness.

So I have no clue why my battery is awesome all of a sudden... But it is and I am thankful!

You must have GPS off or something as GPS will kill any battery pretty fast.
    The Pre battery isn't great but between charging in it my car and at work, I've never had an issue. If you are in a place like NYC or get around by bike, foot, or bus I would suggest buying a spare battery. I know that's not the ideal solution but it should relieve the stress you are having at the subpar battery that comes with the Pre. Your other solution is to get the Seidio 2600. Its huge and destroys the Pre form factor but you'll never complain about battery life ever again.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    I have a new Pre as of yesterday and have to say battery is terrible compared to my iPhone 3gs I had. The Pre seems to have better battery life today after I installed a homebrew app that turns off gps. I thought I had the GPS off, but apparently not. The battery is better but still not so good.
    Whoa!!!
    I was under the impression my GPS was off as well. Since 1.2.1 they changed the 'location services' around a bit. It currently gives the option to either Locate Me Using 'GPS' or 'Use Google Service'. I had just GPS set as an option and 'Auto Locate' OFF. That didn't mean GPS was off apparently. I downloaded 'Quick Systems Task' and right from the initial launch there was GPS set to ON!.. (everything else was off except Data) My battery has been terrible since the last update and now I'm pretty sure I now know why... I suspect others are having this problem and blaming it on patches or homebrews.
    SPREAD THE WORD PREOPLE!
    Download QST and post your findings please.. .
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    You must have GPS off or something as GPS will kill any battery pretty fast.
    nope. I have gps definitely on. Everything is on. I just have an awesome battery I think. I'm not even purtting it on a charger tonight and I bet I can make it through the day tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Okay now I'm confused.. .
    Did a quick test;
    Uninstalled QST and went back into Location Services. The prompt to turn GPS on was gone again. (I assume it was now on again).. Reinstalled QST, GPS was defaulted to ON, turned it off and the prompt was back in LS. I then loaded Google Maps and there was no option to allow location to be found.? (I usually have it prompt me to turn on as needed)
    Before 1.2.0 there was the option to toggle GPS on/off and now that option is gone. Its just Auto Locate and Background Data Collection. (also with the option to geotag photos)
    Am I missing something here? Is GPS always on or just available as needed now? I'm going to test this out tomor (battery life) and see if it improves with QST turning it off. This seems like it will be a pain now having to go into that app just to make GPS available, then opening up the actual app that requires it just to utilize this feature.
    Any insight would be appreciated.. .
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    do they need the battery? or do they just give u a nother one?
    as long as you play it right you should just get another one. That's the easy solution when you come in to complain about battery life. Some of those are known to be bad. Any rep is gonna wanna just give you a battery and get rid of you. Sprint wants people to be happy with the pre and those batteries are cheap when you buy a million.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    ok my battery is turning into utter **** the last 3 days or so.

as of right now it's 9:10. I took my phone off it's plug from full charge @ 8:10 this morning before I left for work. I didn't use it the entire time I was in the car and since I've come into work I've sent a few text messages and checked the mobile facebook page for about 5 minutes. I'm now down to 80% already. This is starting to get rediculous....the stupid phone is starting to drain almost as fast as I can charge it. now I love this phone, but this battery thing is annoying the crap out of me.

oh and I've also noticed that the phone is starting to run a little sluggishly. even after a fresh reboot. almost seems like there's still something running in the background that I can't see or something. example, fresh reboot, I tried to start the browser and it took a good 10-15 seconds for the program to even load.

Is there any programs that can check memory usage? I'm wondering if there's something lingering that I don't know about.

edit : 10:15 am now and I'm already down below 50% (48%) at basically the two hour mark. I definitley have to take this up to the store and see what they say now.
    Last edited by tjdalton; 10/23/2009 at 09:19 AM.
    get a new baterry, if that doesn't solve your problems, get an HTC Hero.
    I had no end of battery problems and I found the problem to be with messenger. I had tried to setup a lot of email accounts on Google and each time it had created a google talk account. When I went in to the messaging app account settings and removed the google talk accounts my battery life rocketed. Granted its not as high as good as I would like but it is a lot better.
    made it 26 hours without a charge. I'm currently at 16%.

This is weird!
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    You're mistaken.

Draining a lithium battery fully is very bad for it. Perhaps the reason you've not heard about this is because most high end electronic devices contain circuitry to prevent these full, damaging discharges. This means that many lithium batteries have 20% or more charge left when their devices register them as completely empty. Were these devices to permit full discharge, the life cycle of the battery would be severely shortened.

Additionally, all charge cycles are not equal. When counting charge cycles, a 5% charge counts as just 1 / 20th of a charge cycle.

In other words, if a manufacturer rates a lithium battery at 1000 charge cycles, the battery can equally handle 1000 complete discharge / recharge cycles, or 20,000 5% discharge / recharge cycles before falling below the manufacturer threshold. Even then the battery will continue to function, but at an ever decreasing capacity.
    Hmm....are we talking about lithium as a battery technology or are we talking about lithium Batteries?????

What you are saying *might* be very true about lithium, but that is why they have electronics to 'correct' for any deficiencies. End result is the whole Battery itself, and not what lithium does (good or bad).

If the completed Battery has manufacturer statements that tell me it has a 1000 charges AND that i can expect it to be at End of Life at that point, then I don't care if its the electronics of the battery or the lithium that craps out. I don't even care if they 'program' the battery to stop working at that point. All I care about is how much can I use the battery and what counts as a charge.

I have not seen any end battery manufacture print any literature that their batteries should never run down or that it is 'bad'. They have said you can charge them at any time without memory effect and they also have said in the small print that any charge is considered a 'charge count'. Maybe this has changed in newer electronics...I don't know.

All I do know is that I have yet to see any real literature or links that tell me it is 'bad' to let a lithium battery (like the ones used in our phones) run down to low or dead.

Feel free to respond with links if you have them.

Ok, did a little research on my own to keep up to date.
    Checking a couple of battery sites (not manufacturer sites), they really only discuss only 2 things.
    a) How fast the battery dies due to heat
    b) How fast the battery dies due to charge level

The warmer the battery is, the faster it fails and is unable to hold a charge
    The higher the charge voltage is, the faster the battery fails. A couple of extra points of voltage decreases battery life by 1/2.

They do mention that if storing a battery its best to keep it at about 40%. They also mention that every 30 charges you should be draining the battery to dead and full charge it to ensure the electronic circuitry keeps an accurate gauge of battery life. At no point did I find information that states a 5% charge is 1/20th a charge cycle.
    Last edited by CanadianPre; 10/23/2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: more info
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Hmm....are we talking about lithium as a battery technology or are we talking about lithium Batteries?????

What you are saying *might* be very true about lithium, but that is why they have electronics to 'correct' for any deficiencies. End result is the whole Battery itself, and not what lithium does (good or bad).
    There's no "might" about it. You said you'd never heard that it was bad to fully discharge lithium batteries, you were mistaken.

It is a fact that fully discharging lithium batteries is very bad for their longevity. That said, and as I was very clear about in my initial post, well designed devices (like the Pre) tend to leave lithium batteries with a 20% (or greater) charge in order to avoid this issue. (all while reporting a battery with a 20% charge as completely and totally discharged)

Obviously, device manufacturers would very much like their devices to make use of that unused 20% power reserve. With battery life the massive issue that it is, it is quite amazing that manufacturers are forced to so drastically underutilize battery capacity. The only reason they do this is that to do otherwise would severely reduce the lifespan of the battery.

To reiterate what I said in my initial post; yes, it's very bad to fully discharge lithium batteries, but no we don't have to worry about it much on devices like the Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    If the completed Battery has manufacturer statements that tell me it has a 1000 charges AND that i can expect it to be at End of Life at that point, then I don't care if its the electronics of the battery or the lithium that craps out. I don't even care if they 'program' the battery to stop working at that point. All I care about is how much can I use the battery and what counts as a charge.

I have not seen any end battery manufacture print any literature that their batteries should never run down or that it is 'bad'. They have said you can charge them at any time without memory effect and they also have said in the small print that any charge is considered a 'charge count'. Maybe this has changed in newer electronics...I don't know.

They do mention that if storing a battery its best to keep it at about 40%. They also mention that every 30 charges you should be draining the battery to dead and full charge it to ensure the electronic circuitry keeps an accurate gauge of battery life. At no point did I find information that states a 5% charge is 1/20th a charge cycle.
    All charge cycles are not equal. I've read interviews with battery engineers that get into the gritty details, though here's what I turned up in the first page of Google search results.

"The shallower the discharge, the more cycles the battery will provide. This is true for all battery chemistries."

Motorola: Rechargeable Battery Cycle Life Issues

Or this:

Use partial-discharge cycles

Using only 20% or 30% of the battery capacity before recharging will extend cycle life considerably. As a general rule, 5 to 10 shallow discharge cycles are equal to one full discharge cycle.

Proper Care Extends Li-Ion Battery Life Page of

If you're truly interested in this, spend half an hour in research. I'm sure you'd find tremendous amounts of data on the non-equality of discharge cycles.
    I turned the brightness down on my screen a bit and i use "Data Toggle" to turn off the web when I'm not using it. My phone goes for 1 and a half days on average. That's with texting/talking and using Where and google at random as well.
    My pre has been off the charger since 550am when i woke up! Its now 823pm and its saying 58%. I sent 83 text messages and my email syncs every 30mins on 2 accounts. Also I read all the news and surfed the web for a while. My brightness is set directly below the last S on brightness bar. My Background Data collection is off, Geotage Photos is off, Auto locate is on, blue tooth is off, wifi is off, I dont even see an option to turn off gps, and i leave the texting app open a lot. I made 1 phone call today for like 5mins and also listend to music for 30mins. I drain my batter completely sometimes. BECAUSE

Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    A full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation. The phone wont let the battery drop below 2.7-3.0v
    The battery will not be damaged.

You guys might wanna try it. Also i useually shut my screen off right away when not in use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toasters View Post
    As a general rule, 5 to 10 shallow discharge cycles are equal to one full discharge cycle. [/i].
    5 shallow charges at 20% used is equal to 100% anyway. So yes you will get more cycle life but in theory the same amount of mah use. Either way its nearly the same.
    Since I downloaded Quick System Tasks, I have been able to quickly turn on/off GPS, Bluetooth, Data Services, etc. This has extended my battery life to sometimes 2 days! I also have found that my e-mail has not been connecting since 1.2 update, so that must help, too.

Having Quick System Tasks running as a tray item makes it easy to turn everything back on when I need it, so it hasn't been a problem. Of course, when I DO need GPS, it really eats up the battery, but I expect that.
    Im going to keep my phone off the charger and see exactly how long im going then i will post in here. I dont fully drain the battery often but i am still telling you guys its something you are supose to do once in a while. This is a quote from some battery website. We have "smart" batteries and that is what they are calling a fuel gauge.

"Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge. A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate and will cut off your device early."
    Just an update. My pre has been off the charger since 550am yesturday and it is now 117pm thats 31 hours now. My battery is at 38%.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12