Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. npw
    I wondered that as well but I don't think there is any residue, the log seems to stop at the downloading stage
    I gave up trying to install apps as I just keep getting error messages, will wait for the UK to get the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevee10001 View Post
    So just want to get a rough number of how many people on 02 are using webos quick install for homebrew and themes etc. Just like to know if it has any problems or that is quite easy/safe to use!
    I have avoided using the homebrew until we get the new update from Palm.
    Been away for a few days so I missed this thread but I'd just like to add that I used webOS quick install to install filecoaster back on the 16th and have been using homebrew apps loaded via filecoaster ever since. The upgrade from 1.1.2 ti 1.1.3 caused no problems. I have not installed any tweaks as there weren't any there that really interested me without adding worries about battery drain, I'll happily wait a few months for them to be made official. The charge notification sound is easily dealt with by sliding the speaker switch off which is the way I have it most of the time on pretty much every phone I have had anyway. The only thing that really bugs me is that even in this mode music plays out of the speaker which kind of defeats the point - I'd like to see a tweak to fix that.

I noticed one app I had via homebrew appeared on the app catalogue a few days later and told me I already had it installed which I thought was neat.

As for travelling with the Pre, it performed well. The battery comfortably lasted all day which included a fair bit of Google mapping to find my way around unfamiliar towns. I just had to sling it on the touchstone each night. Dissappointing 3G reception in Chichester but the hotel had free wi-fi which was lightening fast.
  5. npw
    I found the whole process very straightforward. Downloaded webOS doctor 1.2.1 for Sprint and that worked fine, webOS quick install working perfectly. Only issue is that many of the apps in the catalog are missing, but with preware who cares. When an official O2 update comes I will simply revert to UK 1.1.3 using webos docor
    Quote Originally Posted by wardie View Post
    I have avoided using the homebrew until we get the new update from Palm.
    No real need to wait, just install WebOS Quick Installer on your PC, then install Filecoaster on your Pre via WebOS Quick Installer, and then use Filecoaster to surf and install homebrew apps.

From what I've read, when we get a Palm update, all the homebrew apps can be left on the Pre, as they will not cause any problems if they were working 100% before the update.

I'm holding off Preware for now, because as I see it you use Preware mainly for tweaks, and these would need removing before an update.

So to sum up, as I understand it, when we get an update, all I would need to do is update the copy of WebOS Doctor in the folder on my PC, before using WebOS Quick Installer again.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    I'm holding off Preware for now, because as I see it you use Preware mainly for tweaks.
    Preware seems to have all the Apps *and* the tweaks. So I removed Filecoaster.

Tempted to do the Sprint WebOS update to 1.2, but think I'll just hold off till the UK gets an update.
    I've now added PreWare, it was really easy using the standalone exe file version.

The big plus of PreWare now is that it auto detects what firmware you are running and then only shows you the patches for your version.

So now for me it only shows the patches for 1.1.3

When a new firmware comes out I only need to remove these patches before I update, which is take no time from within PreWare to remove them.

So far I've installed the following patches:
    Battery Icon and Percent
    Enable Add/Delete Pages
    Reset Scroll Postion
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12