1.    #1  
    Hey All... So I have a bizarre problem. Something is chewing up system resources to the point where I get the too many cards open error when nothing is open. Can't even get a terminal open to show the processes running. Have done a few patches like. 4x4 and extra slides for icons. have a bunch of apps and used MVapp to move them. Only way out of the error is to pull the battery.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if you were able to figure out what the issues was.
    I have gotten that message as well... I just let my phone rest and after a few mins it let me do what I had been trying to. I would like to know the possible causes as well though because i've only had my pre about 2 weeks.
    happens to me. seems like when i have a few things going on than i try to close them they don't really close right away. i flick them off but they are still open in the background. usually works it's self out if i leave it alone for a minute. very annoying!
    Something has a memory leak, resetting will clear it up. You may want to try to keep an eye on what you're using when that pops up. for me it's activecard.
    Ive been getting this on occasion. I find it happens after I load up some whacky webpages sometimes. I just restart and it's fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by scalderoni View Post
    Only way out of the error is to pull the battery.
    I doesn't respond to a soft reboot (Orange-Sym-R)?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    I doesn't respond to a soft reboot (Orange-Sym-R)?
    Well. learn something new everyday. Have to try the soft boot.

So far it only comes up every 2 weeks or so. Will have to pay more attention to what I was running before it starts again....
    get the luna manager from preware. i think it is faster than a soft reboot (maybe 30sec+). it doesn't shut the whole phone down, just a partial reset. i use it daily.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewjohn View Post
    get the luna manager from preware. i think it is faster than a soft reboot (maybe 30sec+). it doesn't shut the whole phone down, just a partial reset. i use it daily.
    I think it's safer to just reboot the whole phone IMO. There are various bugs throughout the Pre that cause data leaks which can build up and display the "Too many cards" error because it thinks the temporary directory is full.

The most common bug was the Trapster app which would cause the error in less than 30 minutes of use. A simple reboot resolves the issue. I never run into it because I'm required to turn off my phone everyday because of school.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Orange-sym-R takes care of it. It happens to me if I have not restarted it in a few days.
    What's a soft reboot?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    What's a soft reboot?
    It restarts the Pre's operating system (WebOS and the Linux base system). It's kind of like shutting the phone down (holding the power key) and then starting it again, but quite a bit quicker. There's been speculation about memory leaks in some apps, which will cause WebOS to slow down as it runs out of memory. Re-booting will reclaim all the memory and usually speed things up.

There are also some reports of problems where the hardware gets "stuck" somehow (usually feels like the Pre is overheating). And in those cases, you actually have to pull the battery to get it cleared.
    So Orange-Sym-R acts kinda like a control/alt/delete?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
    So Orange-Sym-R acts kinda like a control/alt/delete?
    The 'soft' reboot is more like an interface restart without powering down the phone. I prefer actually powering down the phone as it seems to solve more issues.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I have been getting this message when browsing the web. With only one window open.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    The 'soft' reboot is more like an interface restart without powering down the phone. I prefer actually powering down the phone as it seems to solve more issues.

Hm, useful I suppose. I can't stand the load time.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Orange-Symbol-R is the equivalent of ctrl-alt-del. It does reset the operating system.

Powering off the phone will accomplish the same task, plus it will reset the hardware, better than O-S-R. I've had this happen too. Some hardware register doesn't want to reset/change... pow.

Restarting Luna, is restarting the interface, whether you use WOSQI, or Luna Manager, or pkill LunaSysMgr, or initctl.

HTH,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    One thing that helps is to add the luna manager to the list of apps that can be opened while low on memory. This means that even when you get the out of memory/close tabs error, you can still luanch the luna manager and restart luna (which is much faster then rebooting. The change is in luna.conf. I'm sorry, but I'm on the road - I can post the exact changes necessary to accomplish this later.
    -mark
    The answer's prolly somewhere in diomark's thread...

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...rds-error.html