Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I looked around for a resolution/answer before deciding to post, and I'm honestly surprised that I couldn't find anything. I know someone else has had to think about this and maybe even solve it. Hopefully I was just looking in the wrong places, and someone can send me in a better direction.

The Challenge:
    The Pre allows me to have mulitple calendars. However, it doesn't allow me to create a new custom calendar that is not attached to some app or service. Since I'm not allowed to link my phone to my exchange server at work (security), I'd like to have the option of adding another calendar where I can put some important meetings and reminders. It would also be nice to add another calendar where I can keep track of some of my wife's calendar items (avoid double-booking) .

Currently, when I go to "Add an Account", I only get three options: Google, Facebook, and MS Exchange. I guess I expected to see a selection entitled "Personal", or something similar.

I know that special calendars can be added, because a handful of apps that I have installed somehow managed to create a new calendar. I currently have the following calendars:

-Palm Profile
    -Facebook
    -FlightView
    -Google
    -Movies
    -Outlook
    -Quick Event

Note:
    I'm fairly up to speed with most of the tools, tricks, and tips that typically flow through this forum. I've had the Pre since July and have gone through all the variations of Homebrew updates & enhancements (which I am very thankful for). I'm very aware of the rooting process, which would require me to add lines or comment out lines in the code. Howevr, I know very little about actually rooting, and would rather avoid it, so I'm not sure that doing anything with code is the best answer for me.

Here are a couple possible work-arounds that I thought of. I'd rather not do any of these, but I may need to resort to one if nothing comes of this post.
    1. Create a secod Google calendar, or just use my current Google calendar for such tasks
    2. Don't worry about trying to have a separate calendar for such tasks (frustration: it was a selling point for me)
    3. Forget about it, cuz it's not really that important.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
    Kelley, I do this all the time. To me the best solution is #1 on your list. I have six Google calendars that I sync to my Pre. Two are public calendars for organizations at my kids high school that I manage, one is a work calendar, two others are calendars that I keep for other companies (because I do consulting work at them), and one is personal.

It is a piece of cake to have the events show up in different colors for different calendars. And to me the advantage is that the personal calendar I can open to my wife and kids so they see what I have going on too. If this calendar were local to my Pre and nowhere else, they would not be able to see this.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input. As I think about it more, this is probably the best option for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'd still like to know how to create a personal calendar, or even if it's possible, just for the sake of closing the mental loop on this one.

Thanks again
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelley B View Post
    I'd still like to know how to create a personal calendar, or even if it's possible, just for the sake of closing the mental loop on this one.
    As you've noticed, any app can create a separate calendar ... WebOS provides a well defined way to do that. So theoretically you (or someone) could write a little app that just created a "personal" calendar for you.

Wouldn't be that hard, but I'm not sure I see why that's any different than just using the Palm Profile calendar or one that you have Google create for you?
    IMO if your using google for your calendar, tasks, email might as well by an android phone. The pre is subpar when it comes to entering info into the calendar app. The scroll wheel was a horrible idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    IMO if your using google for your calendar, tasks, email might as well by an android phone. The pre is subpar when it comes to entering info into the calendar app. The scroll wheel was a horrible idea.
    The calendar app is sub par, but entering events doesn't have to be. You can configure Google Calendar to text in appointments. I add them in a little under 10 seconds.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1357/...your-calendar/

To say that is why you should jump ship to Android is a bad solution that has nothing to do with the problem that was asked.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelley B View Post
    It would also be nice to add another calendar where I can keep track of some of my wife's calendar items (avoid double-booking)
    This is another reason why multiple Google calendars is a good solution, since you could share one of the Google calendars with your wife.

My main Google calendar is my "Work" calendar, and then I have one for "Personal", "Family", and finally one for miscellaneous "Reminders". I could have used that last one, e.g., to remind me to pull the wife's apple pies from the oven last night. Then we'd still be speaking. And have pie.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Thanks for the solutions and ideas. I ultimately accomplished the goal, even though it wasn't what I initially expected it to be. Hence the post.

The final solution (discussed below) allows me to have 3 separate Calendars, all that sync with Google from my Pre. Bonus is that they actually sync with Outlook as well (work, home, wife).

Here's some info to close the loop (for anyone who may look into this later in an archive)

I was hung up on this at first based on lack of knowledge of just how useful and powerful the Google calendar service is. I'm personally not a big fan of web-based apps, as they are typically slow, poorly formatted, and very finicky. Once I learned more about shared calendars, excellent web-GUI, ability for Google to sync with Outlook, and how simple the Pre brought in all the information, I realized that I haven't been using that funciton of my phone near it's capability. I've never been one that says "I've always done it this way...", but I'd be lying if I didn't recognize that jumping into some of this is a little overwhelming at first.

Things that were useful to discover (again, for those who didn't know):

Google Calendars actually sync with Outlook pretty seemlessly (forgive me for not knowing this before). It even works with our Exchange setup at work (since it syncs locally to the computer, not to the server). You can choose 1-way sync (to/from Outlook), or 2-way sync. This was a great releif, as I didn't want to find myself updating multiple calendars, then wondering which one was the most accurate. Now, whether I go online and update the web-app, if I use Outlook at home/work, or simply put an event in my phone, it will show up in ALL THREE.

The original challenge of being able to have work meetings show up on my phone is now solved. I have Outlook send a one-way update to Google every hour, then since my Pre links up with Google calendars, it updates automatically.

One thing to note, Google only syncs with your primary calendar (can't choose which to sync with, and you can't change which calendar is primary in Google). Because of this, I decided to create two separate Google accounts (one for work and one for home) in order to make sure that they showed up as separate calendars on my phone. Once the work one was setup, I gave permisisons to the personal account so I could manage both via one login. I also added my wife's Google calendar to that list, sync'd her Outlook with it (2-way), and gave myself permissions to edit it as well. Score.

As an added benefit, I use Quick Events to submit calendar events in less than 10 seconds. I am a happy camper. Filled with integration fufillment.

I believe this is a true testimony of how Synergy is really supposed to be an effective concept. True, the calendar on the Pre is still slower than I'd like. But I'm so happy to know that it's all integrated together, and I don't have to do any additional work.