Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    had the iphone 2g, upgraded to the 3g when it came out, but got fairly bored with it over time, didn't buy into the 3gs marketing and didn't particularly want to spend my life savings on pretty much the same phone. been trolled by windows mobile before, so when the pre launched that seemed like the only option.

finally we have it (are we going to have to go through the same thing with the pixi, palm? no thanks). bought from ebay a few days ago (it's the locked o2 uk model), arrived this morning. blog to follow:

- packaging is nice. i don't see why there's so much of it for the seperate touchstone cover/back though. seems like a waste.
    - holy **** the screen is nice. i thought other bloggers were exaggerating but it really is great.
    - digging webos. really like it so far. sim contacts, gmail setup, it's easy modo. all great. dumping every person i've ever emailed from gmail into "contacts" isn't so awesome though.
    - web browser kicks ***. defiantly better than iphone safari.
    - google maps is about a billion times faster. nice.
    - youtube is also nicer/faster.
    - keyboard took a bit of getting used to. not going to be typing out huge blog posts but it's nicer than an on screen keyboard.

the not so awesome:

- app store needs work. personally i am not that crazy about apps, i can count the number of actually useful apps in the world on one hand. one of them is already on the pre. but browsing through the store etc is defiantly lacking compared to the rest of the os.
    - ok, so i can copy and paste in e-mail or from and into a memo, but not the web browser? ghetto. let's get that done, yeah?
    - i have yellow discolouration on the left hand side of the screen. it's fairly small and only really stands out against certain colours/backgrounds, but seems it's not uncommon for american users, now euros are going to have to put up with it too. extremely crusty.

the unusual:

- you know xvid plays back perfectly fine, right? i was trying to find out some info about this and saw some blog about how homebrew were trying to hack this into the player, but muxing an episode of the daily show to mp4 and sticking it on the pre = success. shows up in the video player and plays back fine. it's not *quite* full frame rate and there's a bit of stutter on high bitrate peaks but it's almost there. nice to know i can just throw an episode of whatever on there without converting. all i used was yamb w/ mp4box. drag and drop, mux (takes five seconds), put it on the pre, bam.

the pre intro movie is h264 and is completely smooth, so clearly there's some hardware decoding going on there while it's doing xvid in software. i got my hopes up and tried muxing 480p h264 to mp4 and playing that, but it throws an error. detects the length though.

also just tried the latest episode of south park while blogging all this. also works fine (daily show is slightly lower res @ 512x384 so could have been a fluke, but south park @ 624x352 works fine, so any movie/tv show at around that res will also play fine).

closing thought, someone was blogging in another thread about "slowdown" and "lag" etc on the uk model. i don't really see where he's coming from. it's faster than the vanilla iphone, seems completely smooth in normal operation. it's usually when the phone is syncing/checking mail/opening something dumb like 47 cards that there's a visible slowdown. and supposedly it's faster on the new versions anyway (not to mention future improvements etc).

so there is my blog about my new pre.
    Glad to have ya. Welcome to the forums.
    Nice write up, Thanks
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I didnt realise about XVID (maybe not looked through the forum enough) but thanks fot the tip!
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    the first major negative: the music player sucks. a simple mp3 brings multitasking to its knees. what?
    Quote Originally Posted by blogger View Post
    the not so awesome:

- ok, so i can copy and paste in e-mail or from and into a memo, but not the web browser? ghetto. let's get that done, yeah?

the unusual:
    Are you still on webOS 1.1.x? Once you get to 1.2.x you can copy/paste from the brower or from email (without having to hit "respond").
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Yes, the UK/Euro models shipped with 1.1.3.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    If you start homebrewing, get Music Player (remix).
    That homebrew app is a lifesaver... It makes the original music player look like an Ipod shuffle.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    nice tip about the xvid playback! didn't even consider that would work... thanks