Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I am sick and freaking tired of accidentally dialing 911 when unlocking this freaking phone.

Can I get a witness?

Palm, do you want to create a bad name for yourself with all the emergency response teams across the globe?

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, will someone come up with a freaking patch to disable the Emergency Call button on the lock screen?
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Being an early adopter carries risks, but hisorically these risks haven't included felony charges for misuse of emergency services...
    There was a patch created here but I haven't tried it yet. Someone posted in another thread that they had a problem with it. I was waiting on more feedback before trying it myself.

If you would like to try it, please report your results.

Thanks!
    How on earth does dialing 911 happen when unlocking the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenho View Post
    How on earth does dialing 911 happen when unlocking the phone?
    If you have a PIN set up to unlock the phone, at the very bottom there is a HUGE button for "Emergency call" which dials 911 if you press it. You don't need to unlock the phone first.

The several times I've accidentally dialed 911 was when I removed my phone from the touchstone. The lock screen appears when you remove the Pre and I'm guessing that when I grip the phone, my finger accidentally touches the Emergency call button, since it's very close to the edge.

I suppose it could also be some type of bug where just removing the phone from the touchstone causes some type of glitch that calls 911.
    ah
    i've dialed them about 3 times already, i've been using the pin for awhile now. It is very annoying.
    Oh wow, I didn't realize requiring a PIN would show this. That stinks though I can see an issue with disabling emergency calls.

I think Palm should have added a "drag up to place an emergency call" so you drag something (like the screen-lock) out of a circle and then you get the button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    There was a patch created here but I haven't tried it yet. Someone posted in another thread that they had a problem with it. I was waiting on more feedback before trying it myself.

If you would like to try it, please report your results.

Thanks!
    That patch is available in Preware now.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    I can confirm that the 'Limited Emergency Button' patch works as far as pulling up a dialer pad instead of just dialing 911 automatically. I was unable to dial regular numbers (so security still intact) but not going to test dialing 911 because I know that when I accidentally dialed friends numbers and immediately hung up, they called me back wondering what's up...
    I think this patch is good to go.

Big thanks to those responsible! Abyssul is the maintainer.

(I think it would be appropriate, if at all possible, to have a big red cross symbol as the backdrop for this specific dialer. Also may be even having 911 dialed in so hitting the talk button is all that's needed to connect in an emergency)
    Last edited by Freshyz; 10/23/2009 at 01:34 AM.
    FYI....I installed the patch and did a test dial of 911 and it worked. Luckily I was able to hang up before the call went through.