Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    I work overnight and as such have been using the pre a lot tonight. It is a much better social networking device than the iPhone in just my short use of it. I am afraid to scratch it a little, but overall and very pleased with it. I use the sleeve it comes with to protect it and have the touchstone with what I think is a much nicer back. I am interested in how long I get for battery life using it day to day.

I am surprised how fast evdo is compared to ATT3G, even with only 2 bars.
    I had a 1st gen iPod Touch and absolutely hated the keyboard (could not type for %#&*). I had a Treo 700 before (yes, ancient), but loved the keyboard. The Pre's keyboard feels cramped since it's recessed, but I can still type faster on the Pre than my iPod Touch. To each their own, some master the iPhone/iPod Touch keyboard, but I was not one of them.

To be fair, I loved the apps on the iPod better than the Pre, but I know the apps on the Pre will continue to get better. Just have to get used to the battery drain (listening to Pandora).
    I wouldn't keep this phone if it wasn't for Homebrew apps and patches. Read up on Preware and really start getting into the customization of your phone.
    Remember, always search first. 90% of the time your question has been answered already. If not, don't be afraid to post up and ask for help, just make sure you do some digging first or some of the not so nice people on the forum will undoubtedly flame you. And that just ruins everyone's experience.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Welcome aboard, and enjoy the ride!

Regards,
    -JerryG

Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Welcome to the Club.
    You have now stepped into the light ha ha ha....

But definitely check out Homebrews and Preware, its pretty easy to read up and learn the stuff relatively quick.....and Preware makes everything a breeze.

Since you had an Iphone, you should get the IPre theme....I find it hilarious.
    You'll get used to the KB. I came from an iPhone 3G, and now after having the physical keyboard, I can't see myself going back to a virtual one.

I was helping someone get a phone all cleared out and ready for a new user yesterday, and it wasn't a multitasking phone. It reminded me of where I came from. Having to sit in 1 app and wait for it to do its thing, it actually was kind of painful. With the Pre, I could tell it to, let's say, clear all messages, and then I could go into a game of Zilch or Preopoly, and periodically check back to see if it's done.

So all in all, no, OP, your move to the Pre from the iPhone isn't crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by anzollo View Post
    Yes I know it sounds a bit crazy, but after paying very high bills of 150 or more a month I just found it not to be worth it. The pre has really impressed me so far although the keyboard is a bit difficultto get used to. The multi-tasking makes it a very different and enjoyable experience though. I also got my wife the HTC Hero and she is loving that as well. The plan is discounted trhough my employer to a very reasonable 97 dollars with 1500 minutes, free calls to cell phones and unlimited data and text. The plan on AT&T was just insane. I do think I need to get the Airave for home as my reception there is crappy, but other than that I have been happy with the phone. It has only been a few hours though.
    Another example of reasons NOT to live in Canada. I pay over a $100 for 450 mins, including unlimited data. MMS msg's cost extra and its a "my ten" kind of plan.....long distance is not included unless its to the '10' prechosen numbers. Oh...and its a 3 year contract. The iPhone looks more attractive by far, as the cost is the same with more benefits.

I really can't wait until we get some more competition up here (i.e. Wind Mobile) just so we can get to the rates that you lucky USA users already enjoy. I just hope I can get another Palm Pre for their network......

As for the physical keyboard....LOVE IT!!!.....and HATE IT!!!
    I have small hands (think computer geek body build) and the keyboard is a NIGHTMARE. Key placement is good, but the keys should easily be 33% larger. Would it really have killed Palm to make the Pre an extra 5 or 6 millimeters wider? Same thing goes for Battery size... Would it have killed Palm to make a 1500mahr battery standard or give us a 3000mahr battery that would fit the pre without haveing a Massive back?
    Last edited by CanadianPre; 10/22/2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: keyboard comment addition
    I have them both too. My 3GS I plan on keeping and I am mostly using as an iPod Touch as the Pre can't touch it for games, not even close yet.

The Pre is the main device I carry day to day and use. Sprints everything unlimited plans and great, even unlimited navigator and mobile to mobile for less than the basic ATT iPhone plan.
    I had a similar situation because of cost.

I have to admit though. My 3GS is fast as hell with apps and general quickness.
    That is the one thing I wish the Pre had. It usually takes a few seconds to open an app when my 3GS was instant.

In my opinion, I wouldnt go as far as say that the Pre is better then the iphone, but I would definitely agree that and state that the WebOS miles better then the iPhone OS.

(have some oreo effect in my pre after about a month, but I still prefer it over anything apple has to offer right now. If the Pre or a variant can get much faster or at least match the speed of the 3GS then that would be my dream phone. Viewing pictures and listening to music currently take too long to load up.)
    Last edited by Prelude Ron; 10/22/2009 at 12:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianPre View Post
    Another example of reasons NOT to live in Canada. I pay over a $100 for 450 mins, including unlimited data. MMS msg's cost extra and its a "my ten" kind of plan.....long distance is not included unless its to the '10' prechosen numbers. Oh...and its a 3 year contract. The iPhone looks more attractive by far, as the cost is the same with more benefits.

I really can't wait until we get some more competition up here (i.e. Wind Mobile) just so we can get to the rates that you lucky USA users already enjoy. I just hope I can get another Palm Pre for their network......

As for the physical keyboard....LOVE IT!!!.....and HATE IT!!!
    I have small hands (think computer geek body build) and the keyboard is a NIGHTMARE. Key placement is good, but the keys should easily be 33% larger. Would it really have killed Palm to make the Pre an extra 5 or 6 millimeters wider? Same thing goes for Battery size... Would it have killed Palm to make a 1500mahr battery standard or give us a 3000mahr battery that would fit the pre without haveing a Massive back?
    Yeah the plans up here are expensive. I pay 108 a month and get 450 minutes, 5pm evenings, unlimited incoming, unlimited data, unlimited messaging, voice mail, caller ID, etc. It is kinda pricey..
    Yes I know it sounds a bit crazy, but after paying very high bills of 150 or more a month I just found it not to be worth it. The pre has really impressed me so far although the keyboard is a bit difficultto get used to. The multi-tasking makes it a very different and enjoyable experience though. I also got my wife the HTC Hero and she is loving that as well. The plan is discounted trhough my employer to a very reasonable 97 dollars with 1500 minutes, free calls to cell phones and unlimited data and text. The plan on AT&T was just insane. I do think I need to get the Airave for home as my reception there is crappy, but other than that I have been happy with the phone. It has only been a few hours though.
    Another has joined the PreCentral CULT!!! I love this site too man, the users and the MOD's are great! All the updates are here before Pre launches them, most of the time, weeks advance! Check out the PreWare and QuickInstall, great links!!!

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-7-beyond.html

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...0-preware.html

Those two links are the best things that have happened to our relationship, my phone and I that is!!
    I am interested in how long I get for battery life using it day to day.
    I ditched the stock battery for the Seidio 1350 mAh battery. SOOO much better. 1.5 days with regular use. Full day with intense usage. There's a bigger battery that comes with the extended back, but makes the form factor slightly bigger.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12