Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Has anyone bought one of the unlocked GSM pre's on ebay. A ton of them recently showed up on ebay for a $299 buy it now price. they are suppose to be the unlocked QWERTY gsm pre. I'm curious if they work on tmobile or ATT data.
    mmmm looks like a scam to me...

as much as i wish it were true, it looks like a fraud. If something seems to good to be true, it often is.

Evidence
    1 where could they have gotten it unlocked?
    2 List nothing on specifics, not even what carrier and or country they got it from
    3 seller has very short history, only 21 sales
    4 no pictures

This is either a scam, or a sprint pre.
    Last edited by spectralfish; 10/21/2009 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by spectralfish View Post
    mmmm looks like a scam to me...

as much as i wish it were true, it looks like a fraud. If something seems to good to be true, it often is.

Evidence
    1 where could they have gotten it unlocked?
    2 List nothing on specifics, not even what carrier and or country they got it from
    3 seller has very short history, only 21 sales
    4 no pictures

I think its a scam, I paid $780 for mine!! $250 haha I dont think so.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spectralfish View Post
    Beware people.
    There are lots of Sprint Pre's popping up on European eBay auctions.
    It may not be obvious from the auction details (the seller conveniently forgets to tell us its a Sprint Pre) but keep an eye out for it. I can see a few people getting stung by this......
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    There are lots of Sprint Pre's popping up on European eBay auctions.
    I've noticed this. Some are kindly showing the boxes in pictures, and other are also noted as CDMA/EVDO in the bands section of the description. However, lots are not!

There's also lots of auctions for "UK unlocked" Pre's with QWERTY keyboards. Looking further shows that they've been tested as unlocked with an o2 SIM, which doesn't strike me as a particularly thorough test...
    Unless the Pre community say the phone has been unlocked I wouldn't try any thing that says it is unlocked.

I'll stick my spare Orange simcard in my Pre tonight and see what it does.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leowyatt View Post
    I'll stick my spare Orange simcard in my Pre tonight and see what it does.
    Please do!
    I take it your Orange SIM card is Orange UK?
    I'm on Orange (UK), thus am hugely interested in what happens...
    I am unfortunately very much expecting the Pre to request some sort of activation code when you put the Orange SIM in but there is a tiny bit of hope... I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

When you post back, can you also state how you obtained your Pre?
    i.e. O2 UK contract? Simfree QWERTZ via Expansys? Simfree QWERTZ via Germany O2?
    Thanks in advance
    i.e. O2 UK contract? Simfree QWERTZ via Expansys? Simfree QWERTZ via Germany O2?
    If it's o2 UK or Ireland, it will ask for a network unlock code. If it's the other two (which are effectively the same thing, as Expansys are sourcing them from Germany) then it should work.

I want to try a UK o2 Pre with a TurboSIM, and I'm lookign for willing volunteers...
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...m-gsm-pre.html
    Thanks in advance
    O2 UK contract, I'll let you know what happens with the phone later.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspeed View Post
    If it's o2 UK or Ireland, it will ask for a network unlock code. If it's the other two (which are effectively the same thing, as Expansys are sourcing them from Germany) then it should work.
    Regarding a German Pre, when you say 'it should work', do you mean all of voice (normal phone abilities) and data (browsing the web via Orange data services) will work? Would any feature be lacking ? apart from a normal keyboard of course.

Oh and thanks leowyatt , will check back this evening
    I don't believe any feature would be lacking, but I don't have catagorical proof of this, merely anecdotal evidence from this forum and elsewhere. I don't know of of a specific individual who has bought a german Pre and is running it on Orange UK, but I know that Expansys have one running on Vodafone. It is also generally thought that all the UK network's data settings are present on the german pre, so it should be possible to take a fresh one out of the box, pop your sim in and get it up and running straightaway.

Even the QWERTZ keyboard can be modded to make it work as a QWERTY one...

Spend an hour reading everything in the GSM Pre forum and you'll get a pretty complete picture of what is known at the moment.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Spend an hour reading everything in the GSM Pre forum and you'll get a pretty complete picture of what is known at the moment.
    Thank you. I was actually around before this sub-forum was created a few days ago; thus have a general feel about 'what is known' but due to the recent influx of posters (which is a good thing!) over the past 3 or so days, the info is no longer structured well, lots of off-topicness in many threads (which I too am guilty of) - lots of new guys have good intel. Like whether my Orange UK SIM will work in a Pre godammit haha... and would really love to avoid getting a German Pre because you like mentioned in another thread:

I am relentless in search of perfection. Ideally I want the box and manuals to be in english as well...
    !!!

Even the QWERTZ keyboard can be modded to make it work as a QWERTY one....
    I know that Rod is working on/has achieved this, but that is a mapping solution. The physical keys of course will still be incorrecty placed. Also , I'm not sure how his solution overcomes the characters that are specific to the German language and whether these are are physically marked on the keyboard.
    Last edited by c_man; 10/22/2009 at 08:57 AM.
    Looks like we've got the QWERTY perfection cracked:
    http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...m-gsm-pre.html

No doubt a software/code unlock will follow, but this seems to mean we can use UK/Ireland Pres immediately.
    Found huge amount of so-called Palm Pre GSM's on eBay.

Carrier: Unlocked
    Contract: Without
    Manufacturer Part Number: CNETPALMPRE, PALM100HK
    Asked seller about unlock:

"it is GSM unlocked compatible with the following networks: GSM850, GSM900, GSM1800, GSM1900, UMTS2100"
    not much information.
    Quote Originally Posted by beez276 View Post
    Asked seller about unlock:

not much information.
    That's the same answer I got. By the way, the "HK" in PALM100HK makes me think they're from Hong Kong...... (Expansys HK is selling QWERTZ unlocked Pre's)
    right bit of a late update but I stuck my Orange sim in the phone and it's asked for a carrier unlock code
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leowyatt View Post
    right bit of a late update but I stuck my Orange sim in the phone and it's asked for a carrier unlock code
    Bummer. Thanks for reporting back. This makes Rebel SIM the only option at the moment.