Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    its so great to have this forum and so many of us are in need of real help with tech question and thankful to those willing to help without trying to make ya feel dumb for asking a question or sharing ideas. I myself am a service/repair tech for sprint and I ask alot on here. I can't code and have no idea how to root my phone or even know what the lenux command line is for but I try to help people where I can and thank those who help me. I just can't stand when people put ideas down on here or talk way over someones head just to confuse them even more. "so your telling me your too smart and too much of a geek to break it down"? Truly intellegent people can teach and explain what someone tought them. I just love to see the wanna be cool guy on here putting ideas for apps down and jumping to explain tech issues or how too's as "smart" and informed as possible so they seem so cool and savy yet they help noone. I have asked how to: get the video recording too work only to be told if I need the dummies version then I should just wait for the app. Well if your so smart and understand how to do, or how it works then why can't you explain how . Cuz someone tought you. Did they teach you by the way your explaining to others.
  3.    #3  
    what a smart guy!
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/21/2009 at 07:22 PM. Reason: *****
    Also grammar. It really is hard to understand what you're saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickmassey82 View Post
    what a smart guy!
    Sorry...forgot the smiley.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/21/2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: [quote]*****[/quote]
  6.    #6  
    wow figured I'd get some reply like that. Not trying to type correct punctuation and grammar while typing on my pre.
  7.    #7  
    I'm saying there are alot of smart guys on here who are not helping anyone. My god! Do you txt? Do your friends have to spell everything correct for you to understand? Correct punctuation also? There are people on here trying to get help, people helping and people being smart. If your the last one I hope you have problems reading this.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/21/2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: *****
    I'm saying there are alot of smart guys on here who are not helping anyone.

I've actually been examining this same idea closely lately, and I have to say that I think you may be wrong.

You see, there are four basic types of people on here.

1. Smart guys who don't help anyone. This is actually a very small group.

2. Really helpful people who are also friendly. This is probably the smallest group.

3. Smart guys who really do help a lot of people while being a smart guy, often giving help to people who didn't even know they needed it. This is the largest group by far, and from what I've seen, Trekker and I both fall squarly in this category.

4. Targets for groups 1 and 3. (Also known as smart guys)
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/21/2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: *****
    I'm breakin' out the weenies and waiting for the flame war
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    4. Targets for groups 1 and 3. (Also known as smart guys)
    Hooo, targets. lol.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/21/2009 at 07:25 PM.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    its so great to have this forum and so many of us are in need of real help with tech question and thankful to those willing to help without trying to make ya feel dumb for asking a question or sharing ideas. I myself am a service/repair tech for sprint and I ask alot on here. I can't code and have no idea how to root my phone or even know what the lenux command line is for but I try to help people where I can and thank those who help me. I just can't stand when people put ideas down on here or talk way over someones head just to confuse them even more. "so your telling me your too smart and too much of a geek to break it down"? Truly intellegent people can teach and explain what someone tought them. I just love to see the wanna be cool guy on here putting ideas for apps down and jumping to explain tech issues or how too's as "smart" and informed as possible so they seem so cool and savy yet they help noone. I have asked how to: get the video recording too work only to be told if I need the dummies version then I should just wait for the app. Well if your so smart and understand how to do, or how it works then why can't you explain how . Cuz someone tought you. Did they teach you by the way your explaining to others.
    While I am hardly a gammar Natzi, it is true that you can separate your threads and opinions into paragraphs on the Pre. Simplify your posts and you might actually get somewhere. Also, leave out the *****.
    JESUS ...Pogeypetey is busy editing everyone...***
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    Just sometimes. It is nice when people keep on topic. I like to give every thread a chance to get somewhere productive.
    Forum ****...JK
    My HTC Evo Is Great...
    I can agree to an extent that sometimes veterans to the forum can be a bit curt and in some cases even rude to new users. Sometimes people should consider that not everyone has had a Pre since launch day or that they may have just discovered the forum. Just because it's old hat to most here doesn't mean the poster is incompetent.

I get that everyone should search, but it isn't that big of a deal if someone brings up a topic that was discussed ad nauseum 4 months ago. The best thing that can be done is to help the person out by pointing out an existing thread. That way the poster finds what he or she is looking for, the mods can close the thread, and the forum isn't cluttered by bumping posts poking fun at the original poster.
    tl;dr
    Nick's right. Some of us may be educated but not in this field. We're not stupid but there's a lot left out of some instructions that posters assume everyone knows how to do...we don't. I'm just smart enough to get myself in trouble (have a couple times already with this phone) but not smart enough to get out of it. If I've learned one thing in these forums it's that you'd better spend a lot of time reading a lot of posts before you attempt some of the hacks/workarounds or get to know WebOS Doctor very well. Thanks to all who contribute in the forums. Because of you I have the bestest phone in the world!
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Nick's right. Some of us may be educated but not in this field. We're not stupid but there's a lot left out of some instructions that posters assume everyone knows how to do...we don't. I'm just smart enough to get myself in trouble (have a couple times already with this phone) but not smart enough to get out of it. If I've learned one thing in these forums it's that you'd better spend a lot of time reading a lot of posts before you attempt some of the hacks/workarounds or get to know WebOS Doctor very well. Thanks to all who contribute in the forums. Because of you I have the bestest phone in the world!
    Google

Educate yourself.
  19.    #19  
    there is more knowledge on this forum than any google search that leads you somewhere else. Thanks to the people who do realize new people join everyday and help them get caught up to speed with the tweeks, and patches.
    Last edited by Nickmassey82; 10/21/2009 at 09:14 PM.
    A certain amount of knowledge beforehand must be assumed; otherwise we'd all have to start at a certain basis according to your opening post. To the extreme case; everyone would need to instruct the user on the most basic level (press the start button, click run, etc.) EVERY TIME!

(Paragraph!) On the *NIX side of things, a user can find information on whatever they need by means previously mentioned to fill in gaps of knowledge that pertain to general concepts (man man, IRC, user groups, etc.). The phone-specific parts you speak of are here and can be found through the forum's provided search, OR by using Google's "site:" operator.

(Another paragraph!) There is no need to regurgitate ad nauseam, re-invent the wheel, beat a dead horse... (redundant redundancy). Littering the forum with inane and repetitive threads only dilutes the quality of the site and makes searches time consuming due to excessive pages of results. Learning involves effort from the student. The information is out there; SEARCH.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast