Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    To be honest it is all in the title haha but any ways i have noticed on this site that you have a nice setup for getting themes which seems quite cool. But i obviously have to download webOS quick install and also push phone into dev mode or somthing along them lines an i keep on reading "at your own risk" etc etc an for me that puts me off straight away because its a new peice of kit (uk customer) and i dont want to void insurance or somthing crazy like that, but i am still tempted coz i love playing with it an it just seems like i am missing out.

    Soo all i would like is some feedback on if it is worth it and is it safe to use THANKS
  2. #2  
    I've done patches but I'm still worries about themes.

    I've seen far too many threads where folks uninstalled themes and were left with pieces here and there. Plus, you're not supposed to update certain things with themes enabled.

    Hopefully this is remedied soon (unless it already is and I'm clueless) as I'd love to try some new looks.
  3.    #3  
    yeh see that would annoy me all i want to do is chuck some themes on then just pick which one i want etc etc
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevee10001 View Post
    To be honest it is all in the title haha but any ways i have noticed on this site that you have a nice setup for getting themes which seems quite cool. But i obviously have to download webOS quick install and also push phone into dev mode or somthing along them lines an i keep on reading "at your own risk" etc etc an for me that puts me off straight away because its a new peice of kit (uk customer) and i dont want to void insurance or somthing crazy like that, but i am still tempted coz i love playing with it an it just seems like i am missing out.

    Soo all i would like is some feedback on if it is worth it and is it safe to use THANKS
    You also might want to wait till the the UK os is the same. i think you guys are running 1.1.3 not the 1.2.1 that we are running here. Preware and Webos are meant to be run on 1.2.1.

    Now back to topic, I have never had a problem with the themes. I use preware to change my themes on the fly depending on my mood (luv the rasta one...) I have never had a problem installing or taking off a theme. I would just suggest once you start tweaking and patching make sure that you do not have the theme on. Right now that's where some of the problems have arisen. Just throw the theme on after.

    Cheers and welcome!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevee10001 View Post
    Is it safe getting themes?
    I would be very cautious on getting themes. Some could be a virus or something because I have seen some themes that would turn your Pre into an Iphone.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    I would be very cautious on getting themes. Some could be a virus or something because I have seen some themes that would turn your Pre into an Iphone.
    Or Android... Perish the thought...
  7. swmrbkrrnr's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #7  
    I thought the same thing and then just decided to go for it. I installed the blue theme which I think is awesome! And haven't had any problems. I even did my 1.2.1 update with the theme still on and it worked out great. Although as others have said it is probably smarter to have all that stuff off when updating. My power button recently broke and sprint swaped it out for me and I went right back in and put the theme back on and no worries.
  8. #8  
    First as your not running the same WebOS version as many of us are your putting your self at a higher risk.

    - Second: if you follow the instructions of themes: 1. Always remove a theme the same way you insatlled it. 2. Don't apply a theme on top of another one 3. Always remove the theme before updating to the next version of Web OS and wait for the creator to comment if its safe to re-install.

    Then all should be fine.

    - All the themes are different, I have only made one theme. It only modifies image files on the Pre so there is practically a 0% risk as to using it.
    - Other themes modify things like your carrier string (Sprint, O2 etc...) and text color etc... When a theme modifies anything like this the creator is editing/replacing a coded file of Palm's... this inherently carries more risk (I personally stay away from these, but many don't).

    - All in all you can always fall back on the WebOS Doctor or Jason's Repair Utility if something goes hay wire. And in all honesty I don't think any themes are inherently more risky than any one homebrew app, neither are official from Palm and carry similar risks.

    - Lastly anyone with a theme 'stuck' on their Pre can extract the WebOS Doctor image on their computer, and replace each image themselves via WebOS Quick Install (send/receive feature).
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyq9c View Post
    You also might want to wait till the the UK os is the same. i think you guys are running 1.1.3 not the 1.2.1 that we are running here. Preware and Webos are meant to be run on 1.2.1.

    Now back to topic, I have never had a problem with the themes. I use preware to change my themes on the fly depending on my mood (luv the rasta one...) I have never had a problem installing or taking off a theme. I would just suggest once you start tweaking and patching make sure that you do not have the theme on. Right now that's where some of the problems have arisen. Just throw the theme on after.

    Cheers and welcome!
    good post and also to the post above this i didnt know you were running on 1.2.1 i will wait till the update then till i give it a go. One last thing is webos docter a safe program because that was one of the things that i have to be careful with am i right?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by stevee10001 View Post
    good post and also to the post above this i didnt know you were running on 1.2.1 i will wait till the update then till i give it a go. One last thing is webos docter a safe program because that was one of the things that i have to be careful with am i right?
    Webos Doctor is your friend. You do need it to run Quick Install and Webos Repair. You are to see the doctor only in dire cases. If it's acting a little funky then I would suggest repair. Repair checks the files on the pre and matches it the doctor (which has all the OEM files), whereas the doctor flashes the phone completely back to OEM.
  11.    #11  
    ahhh cool thanks very much!!! been looking on apps section and i am being drawn in to all of them now haha
  12. #12  
    I think they even have 2 Man U themes... Don't know if you follow them. I just like Ricky Hatton so I know the song

Posting Permissions