1.    #1  
    The Fist $50 app has hit the catalog this morning...

French - English Medical Dictionary by Ultalingua, Inc.
    Unless they are getting content from online, I don't know how you can feasibly push a dictionary to the Pre with no preloaded DB support.

Yep, 99k. All these $14.99 - $49.99 Apps are web site front ends. You better have service to use them. Unless they have a load process that pulls the data down from the web and stores locally.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    WOW...what a price tag...BUt then again anything with the word MEDICAL is expensive

chair - $5
    "medical" chair (same looking chair for in an office) - $50
    It's too bad you can load a preloaded DB onto the Pre (yet). I can't imagine these apps saving the data into SQL though; it's probably a large amount of data.

It's slow enough attempting to load data into the DB on first launch.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Goggling, this use to be $29.99 - trying to be a bit greedy?
    Quote Originally Posted by djeremyc View Post
    chair - $5
    lol! :d
    This is why the medical system is all screwed up. Over charging occurs in absolutely EVERY area of the field.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Also,

I AM kind of happy that some overpriced apps are now rolling in. It will make the 10 bucks I'm charging for my calculator a whole lot easier to digest for people.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
    WOW...what a price tag...BUt then again anything with the word MEDICAL is expensive

chair - $5
    +1 ..... for being funny, thank you for helping me spill a little coffee on my shirt. Thankfully it's close to quit'n time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    It's too bad you can load a preloaded DB onto the Pre (yet). I can't imagine these apps saving the data into SQL though; it's probably a large amount of data.

It's slow enough attempting to load data into the DB on first launch.
    Tell me about it. I load under 13,000 rows with far less data than would be required for a dictionary and it takes over 5 minutes on the Pre. The Pixi is going to suck, as db loading is processor limited on the Pre and it is faster than the Pixi.
    Last edited by sacherjj; 10/21/2009 at 03:19 PM.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    This is why the medical system is all screwed up. Over charging occurs in absolutely EVERY area of the field.
    For some parts, it is supply and demand. How many users of the Pre are there? Then how many in the medical profession? Then how many that want this app? Then how many will NOT buy it if I raise the price way up here.?

I can understand high pricing for any small target vertical app. But the catch is the app has to be worth it.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i speak french well but i couldnt tell you the medical terms. no wonder they charge. i'd pay if i was a doctor and needed both.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post

chair - $5
    Plus that medical chair can only be used once...
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    $50 is a bit much don't ya think?
    Quote Originally Posted by smccue View Post
    $50 is a bit much don't ya think?
    For what the app in the catalog or the medical chair?.....

I am more fond of translators myself...and they go for $10 in the catalog. Just type in the medical term and boom...or at least I think it would...unless it is not built into the translator, but most pull from the net anyways so should be able to get it.
    These doctors get paid so much money than developers that charging them $50 is nothing compared to all the money we pay them. So go ahead rip them off...!! Oh by the way my dad is a doctor..