Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moris View Post
    why do they use Tweetie??
    I guess whoever is in charge of that is a Mac user that likes Tweetie.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I installed the Mobile Wars. It should be free or cheaper, but seems like a cool concept..
    -m
    do espn, cbs sportsline, fox sports etc. have absolutely no interest in this OS or what?
    I absolutely have to have a scoreboard app for my phone that covers more than just baseball and I refuse to pay $5 for an app that only covers college sports when espn and cbs are 100% free on other platforms. Leaving espn running in the background of my phone for hours at a time is a huge kill on my battery and is a huge waste of data unlimited or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by youngzayiles View Post
    Yeah only usefull app for me is pack n track.... 8.00 is a little steep though when I can just go to ups.com and check my package...
    I agree that's a little pricey, but what makes it nice is not having to actually go to the website and login, enter a number, etc... You just get nice little text notifcations whenever status changes, and you can click on the notification to see a map of where your package is located.
    Is the dictionary database kept in the phone's memory? I would pay for an English-Polish one since I'm going to Poland next month with no Sprint network.
    Quote Originally Posted by speak easy View Post
    Is the dictionary database kept in the phone's memory?
    Nope. Well, at least not with the initial download. It's possible the app may populate its own database to do this but it's doubtful; it would require a large amount of space and it would take quite some time to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    $8 for Pack 'n' Track (I think they misunderstood how to use a 'n but I digress)! Wow. Hopefully we'll see more competition on the phone soon to drive down these prices.
    I thought this would always be free! This info anyone with a computer can get...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    So, I could be wrong here, but I think it sounds and looks better with 1 apostrophe.
    How can it sound different. Aren't apostrophes silent?

Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    I thought this would always be free! This info anyone with a computer can get...
    Why would it always be free? It is a sweet app that the dev polished it like a stone. I mentioned to him that I would not be willing to pay $8 for it. I would be willing to pay $3 for a version that let 4-6 packages be tracked at the same time. It is much easier than hitting each one when you have a couple coming.

Most of the time I don't worry about when they arrive and just look for piles on the front porch.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    LOL at the dictionary prices So many dictionaries online and as someone mentioned keytoss works nice.

Oh and if I had to guess, Chuq probably updates that AppCatalog account like he does @webosdev and yeah he uses Tweetie.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    228 App. Palm only has 50 more to go to have as many as Homebrew!

Now if they could just catch up on the 78 patches.

- Craig
    The sad thing is the homebrew patches and homebrew catalog are infinitely better than what Palm has released in their own patches or app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    How can it sound different. Aren't apostrophes silent?

Why would it always be free? It is a sweet app that the dev polished it like a stone. I mentioned to him that I would not be willing to pay $8 for it. I would be willing to pay $3 for a version that let 4-6 packages be tracked at the same time. It is much easier than hitting each one when you have a couple coming.

Most of the time I don't worry about when they arrive and just look for piles on the front porch.
    The $3 price point is right on for this app. The homebrew version has been excellent, but it's not an app I use everyday, so $7.99 is pretty steep.

Speaking of an app (game) I use frequently, any word on the update for Word Whirl? I was one of the people that got it for free during the first 2 hours the app catalog had it, but I'm waiting on the update before I delete it so I can pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMoney749 View Post
    I agree that's a little pricey, but what makes it nice is not having to actually go to the website and login, enter a number, etc... You just get nice little text notifcations whenever status changes, and you can click on the notification to see a map of where your package is located.
    Yeah, you can have that emailed to you, iirc. Free.

Alot of these app prices are ridiculous. Even the Pack N Track one is too expensive @ that price point.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post

Alot of these app prices are ridiculous. Even the Pack N Track one is too expensive @ that price point.
    I agree. Was a bit disappointed to see it selling for $7.99

If you think it's too expensive then don't buy it and write an app that does the same thing yourself? Nobody is forcing anyone to purchase any of these apps.

Try it out and see how many hours you're willing to spend to get to $7.99 worth.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramer84015 View Post
    The $3 price point is right on for this app. The homebrew version has been excellent, but it's not an app I use everyday, so $7.99 is pretty steep.
    I could be wrong, but I think the app is geared more for someone that sends a lot of packages, rather than the end user that gets a few packages per week.

For example, an eBay retailer or a small business shipping manager that may be dealing with 1 or 2 dozen packages a day. In that case, the $8 price is perfectly reasonable. Getting notifications for every package can save valuable time. For customers that like to burn up your phone calling to see where their packages are, it's a breeze to have a listing for every carrier in one place and be able to provide immediate feedback.

But yeah, if you're a recipient that's only dealing with one or two packages at a time, it's easy enough to just check from the shipping company's website.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    The early apps have been disappointing imo. Looks like the pre started off well (thanks to all the homebrew devs), but now it seems like the pre is running out of gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudland View Post
    Why would any app be free (other than the devloper choosing to be free)?

Yes, this information may be readily avaiable on the internet, but then the latest greatest game is readily available to be programmed into the device, all it takes is the knowledge of how to do it. All of the "raw materials" are free.

The fact is that the developer put this "free" information (even in the case of the app you mentioned), and packaged it in a way that's more convenient, easier to use, etc..

The market will soon make ti clear to the developer whether or not he should be charging for it.
    Global Posts
    660 Global Posts
    I'm thinking of getting the stock app. Anyone try it out? Realtime stock and charts sounds good if it works.

Yeah, I think you can do that, but it's really not the same. With the app you just open it up and enter a tracking number (don't even have to tell it which shipper) and you're done. No need to get on a computer, go to the correct shipper website, set up an account, log in and/or give them an email address. And on the back end, you don't even need to open up an email to get the latest status and then click through to the site to get full info - you just click on the notification and get all your info, plus a map showing you exactly where your goods are. Plus, if you get a lot of packages, you can see all of your shipments from all of the carriers consolidated into one interface.

Even if you don't get a lot of packages, when you're waiting for that latest toy you ordered from Crutchfield it's nice that you don't have to keep looking for status.

It's pretty sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by edlex View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the stock app. Anyone try it out? Realtime stock and charts sounds good if it works.
    Yeah it works well. The best parts are that it updates as frequently as every 10 seconds, and of course that it has graphs. Handmark express did not update anywhere that frequently and had no graphs. The build in news is a nice feature too. And of course you can download the free version. The only limitations are that you have to wait 10 secs when you first start the app and that you don't get any updates.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast