1.    #1  
    Launch day pre here.

My oreo effect has been very tolerable ever since I got my phone, and just recently it started slipping wayyy too much for my liking. So I decide to go after it with some scotch tape and an exacto knife. I had read the previous DIY on this and felt really comfortable attempting it. Oh man how easy it was! And how much of a difference it made. Pre is now solid as a rock when closed (a very satisfying feeling after all of these months with wiggle). The screen when open however still has a little bit of play room, which i don't mind since i'm never really handling the screen portion when the keyboard is open anyhow.

This got me to thinking about how easily Palm could fix some of the oreo issues right out of the factory! The tape works as leverage against the slider mechanism when the phone is closed, creating a slight gap between the two halves. Since the tape is sort of a spacer, Palm could easily utilize a thin foam or rubber pad with a sticky backing during assembly. The foam or rubber would provide the same service as the tape, creating a space which fortifies the slider.

Hopefully palm is watching! I couldn't see a cheaper/more effective fix without going in and tampering with the slider.

Here is the link to the DIY incase anyone was wondering.
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-oreofix.html
    where exactly is the tape put? I don't really understand the pictures. is it placed on the underside of the screen on the bottom right (when looking at the phone)? With tape there, the gap actually widens instead of closes.
    Thanks
  3.    #3  
    I slid about 5 pieces of tape put together, roughly 1 1/4 inches long right under the gesture area. The tape doesn't close the gap, the tape widens the gap marginally so that slight pressure is applied to the sliding mechanism and therefore held tighter, eliminating the oreo.
    cool it helps! thanks a lot for explaining it- the instructions in the other link are quite vague.
    I personally use the combination of the four finger squeeze and the slight clockwise twist, both outline in this thread: How to Fix your Oreo Safely.
    If the tape is wedging the halves apart slightly, wouldn't you be running the risk of increasing your oero over time by loosening the slider?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'm thinking of sending mine back to Palm. Mine wasn't bad at first but definitely worse now. For $30 they will send you a replacement (refurb) without sending your back right away. 15 days to return ($400 deposit). Is it worth sending it back? Did they fix the problem? Also, it seem like my center button has sunk into the phone a bit more. It's basically flush to the screen. I don't think it's suppose to be like that? anyone else have that issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by tpp0230 View Post
    I'm thinking of sending mine back to Palm. Mine wasn't bad at first but definitely worse now. For $30 they will send you a replacement (refurb) without sending your back right away. 15 days to return ($400 deposit). Is it worth sending it back? Did they fix the problem? Also, it seem like my center button has sunk into the phone a bit more. It's basically flush to the screen. I don't think it's suppose to be like that? anyone else have that issue?
    Can you provide instructions or a link as to how I would go about utilizing this method? Thanks.