Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is the thread for General Palm GSM Pre complaints and replies. Although this thread is in the GSM Forum, you may find help in a number of areas. Here is an article summarizing major complaints. Here is the General Sprint Pre Complaint thread.

If you are looking for help with a specific feature or problem, check the Tips Forum, search for an existing thread, or start a new thread if the topic is not already being discussed.

If you want to tell Palm about your issues, please post on their forums or tell them directly:
    www.palm.com/us/company/feedback.html

First, please check to see if this issue is already being addressed in the:
    1. Battery Tips, Ringtone Tips, or general Pre Tips & Tricks.
    2. Homebrew Gallery - Is there an app for that?
    3. webOS Quick Install - Is there a tweak for that? (There are dozens!)
    4. Music Player (Remix) fixes dozens of the biggest complaints with the Music Player.
    5. My Notification lets you set your alert sound.
    6. How to Install the On-Screen Keyboard gives you that feature too.

Please note specific complaints in one of these threads:
    1. A Comprehensive List of Fixes, New Features, and Workarounds - request list
    2. Features or Apps you would like to see - List them here
    3. Bug List for Pre - List bugs here

The Forum Guidelines apply: do not be rude or use inappropriate language and no personal attacks or name calling, etc.

To report a post, click the triangle icon under the name of the person who made the post.
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 10/21/2009 at 11:25 AM.
    Hi All,

I've spent several months playing with the Pre (SDK) emulator and the Android emulator to evaluate the two platforms with regards to my needs, before deciding what phone to upgrade to.

As a long time user of gmail, google calendar and google contacts I as looking for seemless integration with google and the emulators tilted me towards the Palm as the device with the best google integration.

So imagine my excitement when I got mine on Sunday. Now imaging now totally upset I am with the fact that my Palm just does not like my google apps.

Gmail - I now just get the Yellow Triangle of Doom. I've tried all the suggestions on the web - deleted the account + recreated --- that worked for about an hour. I've changed the download limit to 1 day. Still no luck. My palm will not play with gmail. I not have to just go through the browser to gmail's mobile web interface ... so this is actually a step back from the N95.

Calendar - My palm has never been able to grab any of my google calendar appointments. So, that's another Fail for the Palm.

Contacts - now THIS is does really, really well and am very impressed. Strike one for the Palm.

I understand that we are not getting WebOS 1.2 over here in the UK and will be going straight to 1.3. Is there any (knowledgeable) guesses/information about when we might expect 1.3 and if the known google issues will be addressed?

I guess the main thing I have to decide is if I should hold on for 1.3 and hope that fixes are in place or take the palm back to O2 as Not Fit for Purpose and get an Android phone.

Such a dissapointment.

Thanks for listening.

Tim
    Hi Tim. I've got no problems will Google contacts at all. You may just have a duff Pre - I'd grab an exchange. It's a great phone though - persevere!
    I got my Pre yesterday and like Mr Darkstar, have had no issues *touch wood* such as those you describe above.

Give it a little time, and go for an exchange. It really is a great phone.
    Tim, Picked up my Pre last week in the UK and everything Google is working fine. Contacts, Appointments and Emails - synced nicely with my work Exchange mail account and Facebook. Major strike for Palm!
    Got mine last Wednesday in the UK and had gmail set up and working within 5 minutes in the shop and its been fine since.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Hi Tim, what a bummer I too have reservations about getting one, mainly due to the lag, I didn't even factor potential problems like the ones youre experiencing!

Quote Originally Posted by ShieldsOnTour View Post
    I understand that we are not getting WebOS 1.2 over here in the UK and will be going straight to 1.3. Is there any (knowledgeable) guesses/information about when we might expect 1.3 and if the known google issues will be addressed?
    As for this question, check out these links, which suggest 1.3 will be available to the UK by this Friday, or next Friday (seems optimistic to me but keep your fingers crossed):

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post1987421

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post1987429

Hope that helps - keep us updated on what you do?
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Hi, I take it you have updated to 1.1.3? As I initially had issues with google calendar and this was resolved by this update.

Also have you tried palm support?
    I'm a big iPhone fan but get bored with it after a few weeks and am always hungry for THE latest thing. I bought a Pre at an exhorbitant price on eBay recently and was also disappointed over the first couple of days. But slowly as things have begun to work, including GMail accounts, it has started to grow on me. I did think I would get rid of it but have decided to wait it out a while and hope the app store gets populated quickly with better apps. So hang on in there if you can. This is the ONLY phone that even comes close to the iPhone and I have tried so many it hurts to think about it, but I do believe that the Palm Pre has the potential to be better in many ways.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyCarl View Post
    I bought a Pre at an exhorbitant price on eBay recently
    - German eBay? UK eBay? QWERTZ? QWERTY?
    - Are you using it with an O2 SIM? If not, what network & how have you got it to work in the UK?
  11. npw
    I had a similar calendar nightmare with my pre when I got it, no appointments showed in the calendar. Hoewvwe this was fixed when I updated to 1.1.3 in the evening I got the phone home. I have since updated to the sprint 1.2.1 on my UK pre and it works fine apart form amultiple day events drop the last day. Back to 1.1.3 methinks
    Hi,
    I have a german Pre and Google Apps and managed to make it work.
    Now I have Sprint firmware 1.2.1 but i also worked with the 1.1.3 from O2 Germany

1. The first i do is delete every google login if there is any in email, calendar and contacts.
    2. After that I configure google mail in the email app.
    3. It will give an error and then you proceed with the manual configuration:
    Incoming: imap.gmail.com
    Username: user@gmail.com
    Password: password
    Port: 993
    Encryption: SSL

Outgoing: smtp.gmail.com
    Username: user@gmail.com
    Password: password
    Port:587
    Encryption: SSL (not remember if SSL or TLS)

Once that's configured and I receive emails, i go to calendar and the account is there, in preferences, as well as in contacts.
    After a few minutes all my calendars and contacts are also synced.
    Hi c_man

It has now been launched by O2 in the UK so the first UK ones are appearing on eBay at the moment. They were going for 500+ at first but now they are settling for around 450. I am also an O2 user so didnt have to worry about unlocking.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyCarl View Post
    Hi c_man

It has now been launched by O2 in the UK so the first UK ones are appearing on eBay at the moment. They were going for 500+ at first but now they are settling for around 450. I am also an O2 user so didnt have to worry about unlocking.
    Thank you. For a minute there I thought you may have got one sim free and were using it on any network but O2...
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I've had massive problems with Google when I first started using my Pre. I ended up wiping it and setting it up again from scratch - it's worked perfectly fine ever since. Just make sure you set up your google account when it asked during the initial setup-procedure.
    for those not sure how to use some of the features, since there isnt any blooming manual, visit these sites:

Palm Support : Palm Pre p100eww : Video clips

Palm Pre | Self-Paced Learning Guide
    My biggest complaint is that the UK pre still has the $ sign on the keyboard nd not the sign!!! How blooming lazy.
    Lazy? No. Cost saving? Yes. Considering the position Palm are in I do not blame them.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teso Dos Bichos View Post
    Lazy? No. Cost saving? Yes. Considering the position Palm are in I do not blame them.
    But the European Pre has the Euro sign on the keyboard!
    Europe is a far bigger market for Palm overall.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast