Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried using a TurboSIM in a netwrok locked GSM Pre?
    I know it's not an ideal solution, but it could be a useful stopgap measure.

Anyone got any thoughts on the idea?
  2.    #2  
    This page suggests that it will work:
    Palm Rebel Sim II Unlock card + Network sim Cutter

I'm awaiting a reply to confirm if they've actually tried it or not. If it works it's got to be worth 15 of anyone's money...
    please post as soon as (if!) you get a reply. should certainly be worth a try at that price.
  4.    #4  
    I haven't yet, but the company seems solid, and these seem to be the most recommended brand currently available. There's also lots of good videos showing the thing at work on things like HTC G1s.

I particularly like that you can get a SIM cutter with it, as I've read stories of people nearly losing a finger trying to do it with a craft knife...
  5.    #5  
    Just recieved a reply from Rebel SIM. They have not yet tested the SIM in a Pre, so it's not confirmed as working.

EDIT: If anyone is local to me (Hertfordshire, UK) and has a network locked Pre, and would be willing to let me try, I'll buy a Rebel SIM and we can pop it in and see if it works.
    Last edited by jackofspeed; 10/22/2009 at 05:45 AM.
    It works!

I had my Rebel Sim delivered this morning and now have a T-Mobile contract sim working on the Pre. So far it has worked for voice, data and 3G with no issues (even working as a MiFi Wireless router using the homebrew myTether app).

I will be adding a video of it this evening to my blog at Palm Pre unlocked from O2 and working on T-Mobile for voice, data and 3G | Inside Outside5.

Thanks to Rebel Sim!
  7.    #7  
    This has to be post of the day! This means we can get our hands on UK Pre's immediately pending an unlock solution.

You are, as they say, "the man". I wish i could claim it as my idea, but you clearly had it before me....
    what a time to have a postal strike! :-(
    Hooray! I guess it will work as well with Irish Pres, which, as we all know are sold without contract for 419 euros!

Anyone knows if Rebel Sim's are programmed to work only on UK networks or does that have nothing to do with it (i.e. your sim's country/network)?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    It works!

I had my Rebel Sim delivered this morning and now have a T-Mobile contract sim working on the Pre. So far it has worked for voice, data and 3G with no issues (even working as a MiFi Wireless router using the homebrew myTether app).

I will be adding a video of it this evening to my blog at Palm Pre unlocked from O2 and working on T-Mobile for voice, data and 3G | Inside Outside5.

Thanks to Rebel Sim!
    ... Well done!! ...

Let the huuuge influx of Irish Palm Pre's begin?

1] Is it difficult to use? How the hell do these even work?? "people nearly losing a finger trying to do it with a craft knife... " <--- doesn't sound too inviting..!!!
    2] Anyone knows if Rebel Sim's are programmed to work only on UK networks or does that have nothing to do with it (i.e. your sim's country/network)?
    You can get a tool on the Rebel Sim website to punch a hole in your sim. Then lay your sim on top of the Rebel Sim, slide it in, turn it on. Easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    2] Anyone knows if Rebel Sim's are programmed to work only on UK networks or does that have nothing to do with it (i.e. your sim's country/network)?
    I quote this question! I have an Italian Vodafone SIM card, and fingers crossed...........
    You can get a tool on the Rebel Sim website to punch a hole in your sim. Then lay your sim on top of the Rebel Sim, slide it in, turn it on. Easy.
    you sure can - although it looks very like an ordinary hole punch to me....
    Quote Originally Posted by morgmel View Post
    you sure can - although it looks very like an ordinary hole punch to me....
    Lol, pretty much, you could use anything for punching holes to punch a hole
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    It works!

Thanks to Rebel Sim!
    Hi Paul, any update on your video?

Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre on his blog
    I will be linking a video later on this evening showing me destroying the network keys on my old phone, then connecting to T-Mobile on the Pre.
    What exactly do you mean by 'destroying the network keys on my old phone' and why is it needed?
    Where can you buy an o2 irish pre?
    This is on T-mobile USA?
    Can this work on AT&T USA?
    Last edited by spectralfish; 10/22/2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spectralfish View Post
    This is on T-mobile USA?
    From looking on his blog, it seems he is based in the UK. Thus, he must mean T-Mobile UK.

Here: Shop

But having had a look around, they only deliver within Ireland!! You cannot choose another country....boo
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    But having had a look around, they only deliver within Ireland!! You cannot choose another country....boo
    I've ordered a TurboSIM and I'll get a Pre next week from Dundalk, Ireland. If it all works out, I might be persuaded to get a few and sell them via ebay to cover costs - no mad profiteering.

Andrew
    Hi Paul, any update on your video?

What exactly do you mean by 'destroying the network keys on my old phone' and why is it needed?
    I have recorded the video but left my firewire at the office. I will put it up first thing in the morning.

Destroying the network key - as I understand it - simply kills a connection between your sim and your carrier. This basically proves that if the sim loses connection it can connect again of its own accord. This is not a required step to make it work, but more a test on its ability to make a fresh connection.
    This is on T-mobile USA?
    Can this work on AT&T USA?
    This is T-Mobile UK and O2 ireland (o2online.ie) are selling off contract, but will only ship to an ireland address. I managed to buy mine from a phones4u store who are apprently under different rules to O2 stores (who have exclusivity).
Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast