Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    Maybe I'm being thick here, but how does one get into the Rebel STK menu from within the Pre?

Andrew
    I was not able to do it from within the pre, but had to do it from another phone. Worked in my Blackberry Curve.
  2.    #122  
    Don't think you can AndrewP, Paul will confirm. He has been taking the sim out, putting it into another phone and using the menu on that, then switching back.

EDIT: See, I was right!
    Last edited by jackofspeed; 10/28/2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: pwned!
    Woooo. Back up and running on 1.1.3 now with 1.2.1 downloaded to possibly try later on? Let's see how brave I feel...
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    Woooo. Back up and running on 1.1.3 now with 1.2.1 downloaded to possibly try later on? Let's see how brave I feel...
    WOW. That is brave. How long did it take over all?

I heard that if you go to 1.2.1, you end up with all sorts of Sprint content that cannot be changed... Thought I read that in another post on this forum?
    I am now running a Pre on Virgin Mobile UK without a data connection. WebOS Internals was used to bypass activation and install 1.1.3. Rebel Sim seems to be working ok for the voice connection. I may play with it some more tomorrow to see if I can get data working - but I think it's a Carrier DB issue more than anything else.
    Last edited by marshalla99; 10/28/2009 at 06:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Good stuff...

Are there any other UK PRE owners who are successfully using the REBEL SIM solution with a UK network?

If so, which network?

So far we have:

1] UK Pre, T-Mobile UK, voice & data = all working fine
    2] UK Pre, Virgin Mobile UK, voice working, data not yet
    3]
    Hello Gx and Paul,
    Thanks for your effort in helping others to unlock their pre's.

I just have a question, have guys had a look at the list of APN in WebOs version 1.1.3 from here http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...n-1-21-us.html

I noticed that the T-mobile setting in there for UK network is complete ie it has all the setting for all the services ie the MMS and GPRS and this is true why Paul can use the MMS as well.

For Gx scenario, the Meteor network setting in the APN list somehow seems not to be complete ie for the MMS setting, there is no password nor the username. I'm not sure what the setting should be but I presume there should a password and username for each setting hence why u can't use the MMS but can for GPRS and 3G.

I'm actually in the same scenario as GX as in I'm having an Eire PAYG Palm Pre and try to use PostPay Meteor sim in it. At the moment, still waiting for TurboSIM to arrive. Just purchase them tonight!!

Anyway, is there a way to change the setting for APN for any network in Palm Pre database? Anyone know?
    Maybe this method could work. Anyone tried? http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...-settings.html
    I don't know if anyone saw this news, but PalmInfoCenter reports that Palm plans on having an on-device way to enter in your own settings in a future update:

Official Fix for Unlocked Pre SIM Issue En Route
    Quote Originally Posted by gguile View Post
    Hello Gx and Paul,

I just have a question, have guys had a look at the list of APN in WebOs version 1.1.3 from here http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...n-1-21-us.html

I noticed that the T-mobile setting in there for UK network is complete ie it has all the setting for all the services ie the MMS and GPRS and this is true why Paul can use the MMS as well.

For Gx scenario, the Meteor network setting in the APN list somehow seems not to be complete ie for the MMS setting, there is no password nor the username. I'm not sure what the setting should be but I presume there should a password and username for each setting hence why u can't use the MMS but can for GPRS and 3G.

I'm actually in the same scenario as GX as in I'm having an Eire PAYG Palm Pre and try to use PostPay Meteor sim in it. At the moment, still waiting for TurboSIM to arrive. Just purchase them tonight!!

Anyway, is there a way to change the setting for APN for any network in Palm Pre database? Anyone know?
    Yes, Ive updated the APN settings for Meteor but they dont still work for MMS. Im not too bothered about this as I rarely use MMS...its too expensive.

The data settings were old also and I updated them.

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    I am now running a Pre on Virgin Mobile UK without a data connection. WebOS Internals was used to bypass activation and install 1.1.3. Rebel Sim seems to be working ok for the voice connection. I may play with it some more tomorrow to see if I can get data working - but I think it's a Carrier DB issue more than anything else.

Did you make sure you reset the network keys on your SIM first. I missed this originally and caused me a bit of delay. Instructions are here (replace iphone with pre )

http://rebelsimcard.com/virtu/images...sage-guide.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by allyn274 View Post
    WOW. That is brave. How long did it take over all?

I heard that if you go to 1.2.1, you end up with all sorts of Sprint content that cannot be changed... Thought I read that in another post on this forum?
    It was easy actually. I had a bit of a panic where it seemed to have frozen, but I think it was just charging first as when I started I had a very low charge in the battery.

Still deliberating about 1.2.1 - I believe you can ditch most of it either manually or by using Preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by gguile View Post
    Hello Gx and Paul,

I have pulled the database down and edited it on my PC but have not attempted to remount it in the Pre. There is a thread on these forums where people have amended the DB and got some European networks working using the UK settings (I believe 3 was the network it worked on).

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Meteor is a newer network (?) - Could it worth contacting them and asking them if there is any reason based on the phones spec and their network capabilities that this would not work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Did you make sure you reset the network keys on your SIM first. I missed this originally and caused me a bit of delay. Instructions are here (replace iphone with pre )

http://rebelsimcard.com/virtu/images...sage-guide.pdf
    Yup - done that, no better. I have a second, newer, Virgin Mobile SIM and it gives SOS service only. Both work perfectly in my unlocked Centro however (voice, data, MMS).

It may be something to do with Virgin being a virtual network rather than a primary carrier.

I don't think I'm going to get this working without some major surgery on the Pre. I'm tempted just to put the Pre and Rebel SIM up for sale for now and get myself a German Pre or wait for a proper unlock solution instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Yup - done that, no better. I have a second, newer, Virgin Mobile SIM and it gives SOS service only. Both work perfectly in my unlocked Centro however (voice, data, MMS).

It may be something to do with Virgin being a virtual network rather than a primary carrier.

I don't think I'm going to get this working without some major surgery on the Pre. I'm tempted just to put the Pre and Rebel SIM up for sale for now and get myself a German Pre or wait for a proper unlock solution instead.
    I spoke with Rebel SIM technical support yesterday and they said they may bring out a software upgrade to deal with the issues people are having with the Pre

Gx
  16.    #136  
    I spoke with Rebel SIM technical support yesterday and they said they may bring out a software upgrade to deal with the issues people are having with the Pre
    That's interesting news, it makes you feelt hat there are two problems going on, minor ones with the rebelsim, and major ones with data settings in the Pre.

My Pre is up and running on o2, rebelsim will be here tomorrow, post willing (it's special delivery so may make it through the strike), I am hoping I can add a second Pre running on t-mobile UK to the list of unlocked devices on the forum.
    I was having similar problems to those discussed in this thread.

Changing the rebel sim to mode 3 seems to have done the trick for me. (1 hour and counting...)

Irish Pre, 1.1.3, Belgian (mobistar) sim, rebel sim card (mode3), currently on O2 network in Ireland.

Only getting GPRS at the moment but I think that may be a reception issue.

morgmel
    Quote Originally Posted by morgmel View Post
    I was having similar problems to those discussed in this thread.

Changing the rebel sim to mode 3 seems to have done the trick for me. (1 hour and counting...)

Irish Pre, 1.1.3, Belgian (mobistar) sim, rebel sim card (mode3), currently on O2 network in Ireland.

Only getting GPRS at the moment but I think that may be a reception issue.

morgmel

Can you try toggling airplane mode and see if you can still receive calls. Thanks

Gx
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts

Gx
    Interesting! Any idea how that would work? I mean, how you would apply an upgrade to the Rebel SIM?

I opened my Rebel SIM last night... Still waiting for my Pre. The Rebel SIM seems SO fragile! I'm afraid of bending it taking it in and out of my other phone to change modes or what have you. Any words of advice?

Also...(guess I'm full of questions this AM)...If you have the Rebel SIM in the Pre, and it's NOT working, will it just show "SOS" or whatever? Is there an easy way to know off the bat that it's not working?

As always... THANKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by allyn274 View Post
    Interesting! Any idea how that would work? I mean, how you would apply an upgrade to the Rebel SIM?

I opened my Rebel SIM last night... Still waiting for my Pre. The Rebel SIM seems SO fragile! I'm afraid of bending it taking it in and out of my other phone to change modes or what have you. Any words of advice?

Also...(guess I'm full of questions this AM)...If you have the Rebel SIM in the Pre, and it's NOT working, will it just show "SOS" or whatever? Is there an easy way to know off the bat that it's not working?

As always... THANKS!
    You have to buy the programmer frm them to upgrade the software....probably would be easier to buy a new updated SIM.

No easy way ...just suck it and see.

Gx
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast