Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 343
  1. #101  
    I've been planning on getting a Pre for a while now (since before its international release), I just can't afford the contract. So, I was wondering, If I buy a UK O2 SIM-Locked Pre from say, eBay, and then I were to use a Rebel SIM, would it worked? I am also curious to see if the Pay as you go SIM I have from O2 will work straight off in the Pre (I doubt it, but its worth a try) or atleast to create the profile.
    Last edited by asQuirreL; 10/27/2009 at 04:42 PM.
  2. c_man's Avatar
    Posts
    392 Posts
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by asQuirreL View Post
    I've been planning on getting a Pre for a while now (since before its international release), I just can't afford the contract. So, I was wondering, If I buy a UK O2 SIM-Locked Pre from say, eBay, and then I were to use a Rebel SIM, would it worked? I am also curious to see if the Pay as you go SIM I have from O2 will work straight off in the Pre (I doubt it, but its worth a try) or atleast to create the profile.
    Yes, according to the posts in this thread (have a look at those by paulhelyerpre in particular) , it will work.

    Your O2 SIM would most likely work without the REBEL SIM card. For any other network, you will need REBEL SIM card.

    p.s. Am assuming you are in the UK.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    I rebooted the phone and its stable for the past hour.

    Gx
    I've noticed that if I turn on airplane mode and turn it back on again, the phone wont connect again at 3G. The same happens if I go out of network coverage. To get it back I have to reboot the phone.

    Anyone any ideas how to circumvent this?

    I've also tried selecting the network manually in the pre but this only seems to mess up the network keys on the Rebel SIM.

    Gx
  4. allyn274's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    I rebooted the phone and its stable for the past hour. I know the APN needs to be updated..its currently using an old one (which still works) but Meteor has added a new APN.
    MMS isnt working either but I think thats a CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 issue too.
    Meteor's network is growing so they are changing things regularly.

    Gx
    I wonder if your troubles have more to do with that - your growing/changing network than the difference between the UK and O2 Pre.

    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Allyn (and others) - please remember :
    Paul is on a UK spec O2 Pre on a UK network
    Griffinx is on an Irish spec. O2 Pre on an Irish network

    Two totally different systems...the two O2s are related only by money, not by anything else.
    I understand what you're saying, but isn't there only ONE Pre for Europe overall? Not multiple different kinds of devices? Could the differences between the UK and the Irish versions really be that dramatic?
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    I've noticed that if I turn on airplane mode and turn it back on again, the phone wont connect again at 3G. The same happens if I go out of network coverage. To get it back I have to reboot the phone.

    Anyone any ideas how to circumvent this?

    I've also tried selecting the network manually in the pre but this only seems to mess up the network keys on the Rebel SIM.

    Gx
    Airplane mode and back causes no issues for me with automatic network selection.

    Try putting the sim in another phone and connect to 3g data (to generate the network keys for 3g data), then put it back into the Pre with the Rebel Sim and see if it works ok then.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post

    Try putting the sim in another phone and connect to 3g data (to generate the network keys for 3g data), then put it back into the Pre with the Rebel Sim and see if it works ok then.
    Yes, I did that and it connects again to 3G but switching to airplane mode and back still needs a reboot. I'm now trying the different modes on the Rebel to see if it will make a difference.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Yes, I did that and it connects again to 3G but switching to airplane mode and back still needs a reboot. I'm now trying the different modes on the Rebel to see if it will make a difference.
    The different Rebel modes didn't make any difference to losing data service and incoming calls after toggling airplane mode. I also set the correct settings in the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 file but that didn't cure the problem either.

    MMS doesn't work on my pre with Meteor IRL even with the updated CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 settings.

    So basically I have a working pre on Meteor IRL without MMS but with 3G as long as I don't toggle airplane mode or loose network coverage. In that case I have to reboot.

    Gx
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    So basically I have a working pre on Meteor IRL without MMS but with 3G as long as I don't toggle airplane mode or loose network coverage. In that case I have to reboot.
    I honestly don't know what your problem is! It sounds far better than using windows mobile
  9. #109  
    Just got my Pre and Rebel Sim. My Virgin sim is picking up network but showing as T-Mobile with Roaming - definitely an error in the Carrier Database (I thought it was wrong when I saw that they had the same APN entries amongst other things).

    Editing now
  10. #110  
    So how are we all doing today?

    Anyone taken delivery of a shiny new Pre and a Rebel Sim Card?

    I am just trying to use webOS Doctor to manually update 1.1.3. I want the glowing notification and I cannot wait to get an auto update...
    Last edited by paulhelyerpre; 10/28/2009 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Laziness
  11.    #111  
    I'm hopefully picking up the Pre tonight, and the rebel sim should be through the letterbox by the end of the week - strike willing. In the meantime it's UK o2 PAYG (with data) for activation.

    Yours still working Paul? Just noticed you're in Hayling Island - the missus is on the IoW this week, can you give her a wave?
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspeed View Post
    I'm hopefully picking up the Pre tonight, and the rebel sim should be through the letterbox by the end of the week - strike willing. In the meantime it's UK o2 PAYG (with data) for activation.

    Yours still working Paul? Just noticed you're in Hayling Island - the missus is on the IoW this week, can you give her a wave?
    Hahaha, can she see me? I am the tall guy by the tree.

    Yes, mine is still working fine. I am manually installing webOS 1.1.3 at the moment so fingers crossed I don't end up regretting it.

    O2 Payg with data will not give you any data access on the Pre. The Pre is set to not provide data access with a Payg sim (even the Payg sim with unlimited data). I got stitched up with that but complained as the O2 shop guy said there was nothing he could do as he had not been trained on the Pre and its available options.

    They ended up letting me keep the sim and credit on it plus added 25 to my wife's phone bill (she is on O2) to say sorry.
  13. allyn274's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    So how are we all doing today?

    Anyone taken delivery of a shiny new Pre and a Rebel Sim Card?

    I am just trying to use webOS Doctor to manually update 1.1.3. I want the glowing notification and I cannot wait to get an auto update...
    I just found out that the delivery of my Pre may be delayed. I have my Rebel Sim at the ready, but just need a place to put it!!!

    Keep us posted on the 1.1.3 update. Could be looking for instructions on how to do that myself if it all works out for you.
  14.    #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    Hahaha, can she see me? I am the tall guy by the tree.
    The left hand tree or the right hand one?

    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    O2 Payg with data will not give you any data access on the Pre.
    Bugger, do you reckon it will enable me to set up the profile? I guess not from what you've said.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by allyn274 View Post
    I just found out that the delivery of my Pre may be delayed. I have my Rebel Sim at the ready, but just need a place to put it!!!

    Keep us posted on the 1.1.3 update. Could be looking for instructions on how to do that myself if it all works out for you.
    Boooooo...

    So far it has just been download the file, plug in the Pre and run the file. It has said

    Connect your phone directly to your computer with your USB cable.

    Do not remove the battery or disconnect your phone during this process.

    For the last 20 minutes and it is connected but I have no status bar.
    Last edited by paulhelyerpre; 10/28/2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Formatting
  16. allyn274's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    Boooooo...

    So far it has just been download the file, plug in the Pre and run the file. It has said

    Connect your phone directly to your computer with your USB cable.

    Do not remove the battery or disconnect your phone during this process.

    For the last 20 minutes and it is connected but I have no status bar.
    Uh oh. It's not dead is it???
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspeed View Post
    The left hand tree or the right hand one?



    Bugger, do you reckon it will enable me to set up the profile? I guess not from what you've said.
    I am not sure about creating the profile to be honest, I had the luxury of someone else's contract O2 sim at the time.

    There is only one tree on Hayling. It is a fairly small island.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspeed View Post
    The left hand tree or the right hand one?



    Bugger, do you reckon it will enable me to set up the profile? I guess not from what you've said.
    Quote Originally Posted by allyn274 View Post
    Uh oh. It's not dead is it???
    I hope not. I have at least another 4 hours at the office so I will see what happens...
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    There is only one tree on Hayling. It is a fairly small island.
    Oh dear. She must have double vision again.
  20. AndrewP's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    #120  
    Maybe I'm being thick here, but how does one get into the Rebel STK menu from within the Pre?

    Andrew

Posting Permissions