Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    As long as you have a US SIM card to put into the Turbo-Sim, it should work.
    Yeah, but it most likely wont have 3g.
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    ..." did you need to ‘activate’ the Pre...
    Just to touch on this question again to see if we can get an answer... Can the Pre be activated and a Palm profile set up using the Rebel Sim? I've watched the video that paulhelyerpre posted, but just curious about the profile part.

Thanks much! So excited!
    Quote Originally Posted by allyn274 View Post
    Just to touch on this question again to see if we can get an answer... Can the Pre be activated and a Palm profile set up using the Rebel Sim? I've watched the video that paulhelyerpre posted, but just curious about the profile part.

Thanks much! So excited!
    Just what I was going to ask - I have just won an auction for a UK Pre on e-bay and have a Rebel Sim ordered too...

Thanks much! So excited!
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    Just what I was going to ask - I have just won an auction for a UK Pre on e-bay and have a Rebel Sim ordered too...
    Pretty easy bypass i would think tbh, just insert a standard pay as you go o2 sim in to activate then swap for a rebel?

Not 100% sure on this, will see if i can try this on my Pre tomorrow on a fresh doctored installation and let you know how i go
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Any news/updates/suggestions on how to do this is hugely appreciated.

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I've just had the benefit of buying 3 Irish pres and taking them to Northern Ireland for activation. Here's what I found.

i) RebelSIM does not seem to work for activation. Somehow the phone still realises that it's not on the home network.

ii) Pay-as-you-go SIMs do work for activation even when you are roaming, i.e. I have an Irish 02 PAYG SIM activating on the UK 02 network fine.

I would suggest then, that if you intend to purchase a pre from a foreign country, that you also purchase a PAYG SIM along with it, if you are unsure about the activation.

Hope this helps.

Andrew
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post

ii) Pay-as-you-go SIMs do work for activation even when you are roaming, i.e. I have an Irish 02 PAYG SIM activating on the UK 02 network fine.
    I think I've also found that you can't use the same SIM in multiple pre but I can't prove it conclusively. I registered 2 pres with a single SIM but kept getting an error "unable to create profile" error activating the 3rd pre but when I changed the SIM out for a fresh PAYG, it then worked. Might just have been a temporary glitch at Palm's end.

Hmm.

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Paul, I've put a question on your blog, hope you can help answer it?

For the benefit of forummers, here it is: " did you need to ‘activate’ the Pre at the start using an O2 SIM card? Or was an O2 SIM card not used AT ALL in order to get this to work?"
    Have updated my blog, but will post here as well.

It would not let me set up the Palm account using my T-Mobile sim - this was before I knew about the Rebel Sim Card - so I purchased a prepay O2 sim so I could activate and play with the Pre until I had figured out how to unlock it.

I also read somewhere else that there is a way to bypass the Palm account creation process via SSH and rooting the Pre (which is pretty easy to do).
    Hi,
    I just got my Rebel SIM Card in the post and tried it in my pre. Here are the results.

I have an Irish Prepay O2 pre which is locked to the O2 network.
    I have an Irish Meteor post pay SIM into which I cut the notch and inserted it into my pre
    The pre booted and connected to the Meteor network.
    An R symbol appeared where the 3G symbol normally is...as far as I know this means that the pre thinks its roaming.
    I can make outgoing calls OK
    I cannot receive any incoming calls..they immediately divert to voicemail
    I have NO INTERNET DATA Connection. Data doesn't work at all even though I've tried toggling some of the network settings.

I also tried flashing to Sprint 1.2 but things there were even worse. With the Rebel SIM inserted, the phone kept losing the carrier and reconnecting in an endless cycle.

So for now, Rebel is not a workable option for me.

Gx
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Hi,
    I just got my Rebel SIM Card in the post and tried it in my pre. Here are the results.

I have an Irish Prepay O2 pre which is locked to the O2 network.
    I have an Irish Meteor post pay SIM into which I cut the notch and inserted it into my pre
    The pre booted and connected to the Meteor network.
    An R symbol appeared where the 3G symbol normally is...as far as I know this means that the pre thinks its roaming.
    I can make outgoing calls OK
    I cannot receive any incoming calls..they immediately divert to voicemail
    I have NO INTERNET DATA Connection. Data doesn't work at all even though I've tried toggling some of the network settings.

I also tried flashing to Sprint 1.2 but things there were even worse. With the Rebel SIM inserted, the phone kept losing the carrier and reconnecting in an endless cycle.

So for now, Rebel is not a workable option for me.

Gx

Have you checked the posts elsewhere about the carrier database ? Sounds to me like some data in there are incorrect or missing for Meteor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Interestingly I had this happen to me about an hour ago, and have since lost the ability for calls or data on my Pre (T-Mobile UK).

I have tried inserting my sim into my old Blackberry to generate the network keys, but still no joy.
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Does this mean that those of use waiting for a UK Pre and the RebelSIM are not going to be able to get it going after all? Even with a profile having been set up with an O2 PAYG SIM? Or that even if it was at one time set up, it will not continue to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    Interestingly I had this happen to me about an hour ago, and have since lost the ability for calls or data on my Pre (T-Mobile UK).

I have tried inserting my sim into my old Blackberry to generate the network keys, but still no joy.
    The sim stopped working in my Blackberry as well. A 20 minute call to T-Mobile tech support ended with the conclusion that my sim was dead. I was told to go to a T-Mobile store to buy a new sim (£10).

I called rebel sim card and they suggested I manually search for the network on the Blackberry, which I did, and the Blackberry found the network again.

I am now tinkering with the Pre again and will post back what I can do.
  14.    #54  
    I am now tinkering with the Pre again and will post back what I can do.
    Does this mean you're back up and running again? I eagerly await your results - I was planning on buying a Pre tomorrow, so need to make the german/irish/uk decision...
    Last edited by jackofspeed; 10/27/2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Poor grammar...
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofspeed View Post
    Does this mean you're back up and running again?
    Not yet. I am just going through the 12 different settings for the Rebel Sim Card, but I need to put it in my old phone to change it, then wait 2 mins for the Pre to boot each time, plus try and get some work done.

I will post back when I have info either way, but it may not be until later this evening I'm afraid.

Fingers crossed.

Paul
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Not yet. I am just going through the 12 different settings for the Rebel Sim Card, but I need to put it in my old phone to change it, then wait 2 mins for the Pre to boot each time, plus try and get some work done.

I will post back when I have info either way, but it may not be until later this evening I'm afraid.

Fingers crossed.

Paul
    What does that mean - the 12 different settings for the RebelSIM card?

Please please keep us posted. I'm picking up my RebelSIM from FedEx tonight and have my Pre on the way from Ireland already. I'm so anxious to know how this works out.
    I'm curious about this - it sounds like the Pre may have lost signal - can you not force it to search for the preferred network again ? (used to happen a lot on my Centro)
  18.    #58  
    The RSC has 12 different settings to enable it to work with different types of mobile i believe. I thought it was supposed to auto-select, but we'll wait to see how Paul gets on.
    The Rebel Sim has settings built in for 12 different modes for different phones
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Wow, I wonder what caused it both Griffinx's and paulhelyerpre's Pre to do this? ..and both on the same day, within the same couple of hours?? thats gotta be coincidence, surely.

Keep us posted Paul, good luck!
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast