Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    I have recorded the video but left my firewire at the office. I will put it up first thing in the morning.
    Video is uploading right now...
    The video is on my .
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    The video is on my .
    Thanks, did you buy the palm Pre from Phones4u ? if so, how much ?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeromem75 View Post
    Thanks, did you buy the palm Pre from Phones4u ? if so, how much ?
    Certainly did - 485
    Fantastic work getting this done, thanks a heap for putting it all up for everyone to see and whatnot. Definitely got me psyched to get my hands on a Pre knowing that with this advancement and a few others already in the works with other developers, when I move to Australia next year I'll be able to keep my Pre up and kicking.

Couple of questions for anyone who can answer them:
    By cruising around the Rebel SIM site (and deciphering it where possible) it seems like this method or similar methods worked on the iPhone, then Apple started releasing software updates that nixed it. Does anyone know this to be true?
    I know you can download WebOS software updates and flash them onto the Pre manually, but if you were using this Rebel SIM with another provider and a new OS update came out, if you have a viable data connection there's no reason why it wouldn't be able to happen as normal, right?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    The video is on my .
    Really awesome stuff, well done and thank you!
    Certainly did - 485
    Do you know any more about this, as in, will all phones4u stores do this? Did you have to persuade them to sell it to you off-contract, use any magic words or Jedi mind tricks?

I'd like to save the 100-odd by buying one in Ireland but I guess it's probably worth it in the long run if you get one with dicey hardware issues etc, simpler to return it when the store you bought it from is in the country you live in.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    Do you know any more about this, as in, will all phones4u stores do this? Did you have to persuade them to sell it to you off-contract, use any magic words or Jedi mind tricks?

I'd like to save the 100-odd by buying one in Ireland but I guess it's probably worth it in the long run if you get one with dicey hardware issues etc, simpler to return it when the store you bought it from is in the country you live in.
    I initially went in with the intention of signing up for the cheapest 18 month contract and paying 90 for the phone, then cancelling the contract and paying it off in one go (working out at 600 ish over the term of the contract). O2 would not allow me to take the contract as my cards billing address is my office address and not my home address and they seemed to take exception to this.

I suppose when Phones4U saw the commission leaving they came back to me and said do you want to buy the phone instead.

May be worth just going in to a third party shop (the O2 shops I visited were not even allowed to display/demo the Pre the day before the launch) and offering them some cash for the phone outright.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    Fantastic work getting this done, thanks a heap for putting it all up for everyone to see and whatnot. Definitely got me psyched to get my hands on a Pre knowing that with this advancement and a few others already in the works with other developers, when I move to Australia next year I'll be able to keep my Pre up and kicking.

Couple of questions for anyone who can answer them:
    By cruising around the Rebel SIM site (and deciphering it where possible) it seems like this method or similar methods worked on the iPhone, then Apple started releasing software updates that nixed it. Does anyone know this to be true?
    I know you can download WebOS software updates and flash them onto the Pre manually, but if you were using this Rebel SIM with another provider and a new OS update came out, if you have a viable data connection there's no reason why it wouldn't be able to happen as normal, right?
    yes this is true apple was pushing updates that would break operation of the turbosim. No idea if palm will do the same seeing as they dont mind us homebrewing our device, then again if the carriers are complaining to palm that the phones are unlockable they might have to do something about it then
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    This is brilliant news - thanks SO much for figuring this out! I knew I didn't want to jump at a QWERTZ model!

I just want to confirm. If I buy the O2, sim-locked, QWERTY Pre from Ireland or the UK, I'm good to go with my Rebel Sim (already on the way). Is that right?

BTW - If anyone can be of any assistance getting the O2, sim-locked, QWERTY Pre from Ireland or the UK, I would be forever grateful. Please PM me if you can help?

Thanks thanks thanks a million!
    Or not just PM you, post it here so everyone can share the wealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by allyn274 View Post
    I just want to confirm. If I buy the O2, sim-locked, QWERTY Pre from Ireland or the UK, I'm good to go with my Rebel Sim (already on the way). Is that right?
    My UK O2 Pre is working with a T-Mobile contract sim for voice and 3g data with the Rebel Sim, working consistently with no issue after a few minutes first time of finding the network.

Quote Originally Posted by allyn274 View Post
    BTW - If anyone can be of any assistance getting the O2, sim-locked, QWERTY Pre from Ireland or the UK, I would be forever grateful. Please PM me if you can help?

Thanks thanks thanks a million!
    Try going to a Carphone Warehouse / Phones4U type of shop and offer them some money for the phone off contract. I am sure they would jump at the chance of some cash.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    I suppose when Phones4U saw the commission leaving they came back to me and said do you want to buy the phone instead.
    Seems very unusual for them to sell just the phone alone like that! I also wonder how they arrived at a price for 485. Fair on getting the deal though

Out of interest, what part of the SIM does the Rebel cutter actually cut out? Temping to use a conventional hole-punch!

If I get the chance, I will try to visit a P4U/CPWH to get a QWERTY version this weekend, for some reason though I can't see them agreeing!
    However, as per the post above, if anyone over in Ireland can get a Pre or two or three for us guys in the UK that really would be massively appreciated....
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    Seems very unusual for them to sell just the phone alone like that! I also wonder how they arrived at a price for 485. Fair on getting the deal though
    This was on launch day in Chichester - not that I am sure if it makes any difference.

Out of interest, what part of the SIM does the Rebel cutter actually cut out? Temping to use a conventional hole-punch!
    You just use it to punch a bit out of the logo part of the card (it doesn't impact the chip on your sim unless you balls it up).

However, as per the post above, if anyone over in Ireland can get a Pre or two or three for us guys in the UK that really would be massively appreciated....
    I remember reading somewhere online about a US company who act as a shipping address who then forward mail to other countries (for a small fee) for ordering things only available in the US. There is potential for anyone living in Ireland to make a couple of quid who would be prepared to act as a forwarder in this way?
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    My Turbo SIM arrived this morning (ordered Thursday night, arrived Saturday morning even with the postal strike) so thanks to Rebel SIM for that.

I'm in Belfast and will probably go down to Dundalk in RoI to pick up a Pre next week. If anyone wants me to get them one, email me on andrew at thoughtunlimited.co.uk and we can sort something out.

allyn - I got your PM and will email you.

Andrew
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Certainly did - 485
    I can verify this: I spoke to my local Phones4U this morning, they are willing to release a Pre to me for 489.30 no questions asked. They confirmed no setup with O2 would be required, I can just walk in, pay, and leave with the Pre. He added if they didn't have any Pre's in stock it would be difficult for them to do this, but as they have units in store, they can release them however they like.

Hope that helps someone.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    My Turbo SIM arrived this morning (ordered Thursday night, arrived Saturday morning even with the postal strike) so thanks to Rebel SIM for that.

I'm in Belfast and will probably go down to Dundalk in RoI to pick up a Pre next week. If anyone wants me to get them one, email me on andrew at thoughtunlimited.co.uk and we can sort something out.

allyn - I got your PM and will email you.

Andrew
    Very generous!

One question, if a UK inhabitant was to obtain a Pre from RoI , does anyone know the policies around the warranty or exhange policy? I am just thinking ahead, many US owners have seen cracks appear after a few months of usage, the infamous 'Oreo Effect', etc ...anyone able to offer an insight as to how the warranty may work? I am assuming (read hoping) it is a worldwide warranty? Where would O2 stand in this?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    hi guys anyone know if we can use the turbo-simcard in the US.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    The video is on my .
    Paul, I've put a question on your blog, hope you can help answer it?

For the benefit of forummers, here it is: " did you need to ‘activate’ the Pre at the start using an O2 SIM card? Or was an O2 SIM card not used AT ALL in order to get this to work?"
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdpr View Post
    hi guys anyone know if we can use the turbo-simcard in the US.
    As long as you have a US SIM card to put into the Turbo-Sim, it should work. Obviously if you're trying to connect to a CDMA network it won't happen for you.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast