Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718 LastLast
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    To those using the RSC:

How has your Pre coped when travelling overseas to outside of the UK? I would expect fine, without problems.
    I am due to go to mainland Europe in Jan and would like to know if RSC handles other countries networks without any issues....
    I'm using a crappy 10 LG GB102 phone until I get my Pre. Do you need to punch a hole in the sim before you change the network? I can go to 'Network Selection' then 'manual' and t searches. I select vodafone UK and then it registers and says 'fail'. On the homescreen it now says T- Mobile like usual. is this gonna be a problem?
    iPhone 4 16GB Black | iPad 2 WiFi 32GB Black
    HP TouchPad 16GB
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    To those using the RSC:

How has your Pre coped when travelling overseas to outside of the UK? I would expect fine, without problems.
    I am due to go to mainland Europe in Jan and would like to know if RSC handles other countries networks without any issues....
    Bump - I fly out on Sunday!! Any input appreciated...
    Bump - I fly out on Sunday!! Any input appreciated...
    I was in Northern Ireland last weekend roaming from the south. The Pre with the Rebel worked as expected and roamed with all the UK carriers. Auto network selection worked as well as selecting networks manually. Data, voice worked fine.

Have a good trip

Gx
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Thanks Gx, appreciated. I was tempted to take a spare phone just in case! Nice to know it worked for you without issues. I'll be going to Amsterdam if that makes a difference... well, if the airports are open/running, of course
    just thought id chime in and say that my pre is working mighty fine with a rebel sim in australia.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Thanks Gx, appreciated. I was tempted to take a spare phone just in case! Nice to know it worked for you without issues. I'll be going to Amsterdam if that makes a difference... well, if the airports are open/running, of course
    Well this went about as bad as it could've gone.

I landed in Amsterdam airport and the Pre picked up T-Mobile NL as the network (my home network is Orange UK). As soon as I left the airport, it lost connectivity and my Pre no longer picked up signal. I was unable to make or receive calls on my mobile number for 3 days. Not great considering it was a 3 day business trip. It just kept asking me for the carrier unlock code.

I just put the RSC and SIM into another phone and set to mode 3, then to mode 1. Tried it back in the Pre. No luck, same thing.

I then took the RSC and SIM out again, back in another phone, 'reset the network keys' and set mode 3, back to mode1.

Put both back in the Pre and all is well again, thankfully. But is a flaw in the RSC. Watch out people.
    Well this went about as bad as it could've gone.

I landed in Amsterdam airport and the Pre picked up T-Mobile NL as the network (my home network is Orange UK). As soon as I left the airport, it lost connectivity and my Pre no longer picked up signal. I was unable to make or receive calls on my mobile number for 3 days. Not great considering it was a 3 day business trip. It just kept asking me for the carrier unlock code.

I just put the RSC and SIM into another phone and set to mode 3, then to mode 1. Tried it back in the Pre. No luck, same thing.

I then took the RSC and SIM out again, back in another phone, 'reset the network keys' and set mode 3, back to mode1.

Put both back in the Pre and all is well again, thankfully. But is a flaw in the RSC. Watch out people.
    Are you saying that if you had reset network keys day 1 you would have been OK?

Gx
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    Are you saying that if you had reset network keys day 1 you would have been OK?

Gx
    No idea. I think it would've been worth a shot.
    I would've liked to have tried but didnt carry a spare phone with me.

I've only just reset the network keys tonight (when I posted above) when I got back into the country.
    Got my RebelSim today, worked first time with my Voda sim Data, Voice, Text, MMS all working 100% with no need for changing settings etc
    well, after reading this thread i was about 50/50 as to whether or not to pony up the tenner for a rebel sim and see if it worked. that was until i visited their website and saw they're charging 4,99 P&P for the rebel sim card alone - something which no doubt will come in a jiffy bag with about 60p postage paid on it.

the phrase 'taking the ****' springs to mind.

[i got given a palm pre by a friend who works for O2 who in turn got given it after working on O2's pre launch. my pre has the QWERTZ keyboard but is locked to O2 - i must have the only german pre in the UK that's actually sim-locked ]
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Correct, it arrives in a jiffy bag and the postage stamp clearly showed they paid 1.36 to post it out to me.
    It annoyed me very much too.
    But, still, the 15 you pay isn't extortionate when you look at what it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    You can get a tool on the Rebel Sim website to punch a hole in your sim. Then lay your sim on top of the Rebel Sim, slide it in, turn it on. Easy.
    Do you kno if this is supposed to work with at&t as well??
    Quote Originally Posted by fentung View Post
    i must have the only german pre in the UK that's actually sim-locked ]
    What a bummer. At least it was given to you. Maybe your friends friend can get you the network subsidy unlock code since they sell the German Palm Pre unlocked now???????????
    well - in the end i bit the bullet and ordered the rebel sim II [exhorbitant postage and all ]

when you get right down to it and bearing in mind i got given the phone for free; 15 for the rebel sim [with postage], plus the 10 credit i had to put on an O2 PAYG card to get a palm profile setup and 'get into' the pre, means i've got myself* a pre for 25. so i cannae really grumble.

and just to add to this thread - so far so good. the pre is working fine on ASDA mobile, with the rebel sim II card.

[*more accurately - my GF has got herself a pre. i gave her the phone, as i'm already using the 'ipod touch + cheapo PAYG phone' combo for my telephonic & mobile computing needs. i just enjoyed the challenge of having a bit of hacking fun with a *nix based phone ]
    Hoping someone on this forum can help me:

I have a GSM Palm Pre (with 1.3.5.1 s/w) that I want to use in Canada on the FIDO Network (subsidiary of Rogers).

I bought the RSC from the company directly for the Palm Pre

When I insert the Card with My Fido SIM I get past the Carrier Unlock Code request BUT I end up with a "R" on top of my Network Bars...the phone thinks it is Roaming! In addition I cannot send SMS's, get inbound calls or Connect to the Data Network (it will not let me adjust the APN settings). I can recieve SMS's (with a big delay), make outbound calls and it has even picked up my voicemail number from my SIM card...

I have been reading that people in this forum had this Roaming issue, they've also had the inability to connect to the data network and edit APN settings -- can some one give me a step by step trial and error guide as to how to solve my problem?

Thanks in Advance!
    Hi there,

Just after some final confirmation before I take the plunge on a Pre.

I'm currently on an Orange UK contract. Can anyone using an Orange sim in a Pre with a Rebel Sim confirm that they are working without problem? Grateful if you could confirm what is/isn't working, along with whether you needed an O2 sim for the initial setup or whether it did everything through your Orange and rebel sim. I've read the thread and seen a couple of comments from Orange users but these are a few months old. Would like some up to date information if possible.

Thanks in advance !!
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerdean View Post
    Hi there,

Just after some final confirmation before I take the plunge on a Pre.

I'm currently on an Orange UK contract. Can anyone using an Orange sim in a Pre with a Rebel Sim confirm that they are working without problem? Grateful if you could confirm what is/isn't working, along with whether you needed an O2 sim for the initial setup or whether it did everything through your Orange and rebel sim. I've read the thread and seen a couple of comments from Orange users but these are a few months old. Would like some up to date information if possible.

Thanks in advance !!
    Hey,
    Orange UK user here. Everything working perfectly with RSC. Data, MMS, etc. No issues whatsoever.
    I didn't need an O2 SIM card for anything or at any stage. Simply inserted RSC with my Orange SIM card together from Day 1 and it 'just worked'.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwatkins View Post
    I live just around the block from the Phone doctor, and they told me it will be another two weeks before they *might* have an unlock solution for the Pre.

I will go back in two weeks and find out how they are getting on. In the meantime, I'm still waiting for my replacement RS to arrive
    Did any of the unlock companies ever get an unlock working for the Pre?

Gx
    Hey,
    Orange UK user here. Everything working perfectly with RSC. Data, MMS, etc. No issues whatsoever.
    I didn't need an O2 SIM card for anything or at any stage. Simply inserted RSC with my Orange SIM card together from Day 1 and it 'just worked'.
    Fantastic!! Thanks very much for the confirmation.