Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast
    3he RSC was inside when it failed, but I probably took it out 10 or 12 times during the 3 weeks.

The unlocking shop recommended by Mr. Helpful in Banks O2 shop is Phone Doctors in London Bridge. Let's all get on their case first thing.

Fingers crossed for the unlock codes tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    hmm.. okay, so there is no direct explanation for its 'random' failure.

Naturally I am disappointed; I've just bought a Pre on Saturday and RSC on Sunday! grr..

Just for any others out there, is it spelt 'Fone Doctors' ? I wonder if its these guys: Fone Doctors, Railway Approach, London - Mobile Phones near London Bridge Tube Station

Good luck for tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    hmm.. okay, so there is no direct explanation for its 'random' failure.

Naturally I am disappointed; I've just bought a Pre on Saturday and RSC on Sunday! grr..

Just for any others out there, is it spelt 'Fone Doctors' ? I wonder if its these guys: Fone Doctors, Railway Approach, London - Mobile Phones near London Bridge Tube Station

Good luck for tomorrow.
    That's the one.
    [OT]
    Support ticket... or compensation
    [/OT]
    Blog should be back up now - Inside Outside5
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Thanks for the confirmation.

Any news from the vendors regarding your dead RSC? Will be interesting to hear what they have to say
    Thanks for the confirmation.

Any news from the vendors regarding your dead RSC? Will be interesting to hear what they have to say
    They have suggested I reflash the firmware of the RSC - I have card readers but no x64 drivers at the office so will have to try it at home tonight (in between games on COD MW2).
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    They have suggested I reflash the firmware of the RSC - I have card readers but no x64 drivers at the office so will have to try it at home tonight (in between games on COD MW2).
    Perform a reflash of the firmware?
    I presume you know how to do this?
    What is required in order to be able to do it? ....naturally thinking ahead in case I or others have to do something similar... some step by step guides would be good (but obviously there is no obligation!).
    Hey all. I got my Pre today (sent by a friend in Dublin) and my T-Mobile SIM plus Rebel SIM card seems to be working fine so far.

Only thing I've noticed - and not sure if this is a general Pre issue or a RSC issue - is that the Pre has trouble keeping a 3G connection and often has quite weak signal when on 3G. It's fallen back to GPRS now I'm at home! I work in EC2 and live in SE1 so plenty of 3G coverage around here!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesog View Post
    Hey all. I got my Pre today (sent by a friend in Dublin) and my T-Mobile SIM plus Rebel SIM card seems to be working fine so far.

Only thing I've noticed - and not sure if this is a general Pre issue or a RSC issue - is that the Pre has trouble keeping a 3G connection and often has quite weak signal when on 3G. It's fallen back to GPRS now I'm at home! I work in EC2 and live in SE1 so plenty of 3G coverage around here!
    I've not noticed any issues with my 3G coverage in SE1 - I live in LBG and walk pretty much everywhere, and not had any issues with coverage....

except.... my Rebel SIM has just stopped working in the Pre... back to Roaming, and then on restart the phone is asking for the unlock code. When I put it back into my blackberry, it just doesn't work at all.
    Last edited by glenwatkins; 11/16/2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: edit
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    glenwatkins, what network are you using the RSC with?

Quote Originally Posted by glenwatkins View Post
    except.... my Rebel SIM has just stopped working in the Pre... back to Roaming, and then on restart the phone is asking for the unlock code. When I put it back into my blackberry, it just doesn't work at all.
    this really isn't looking good now... did you have a chance to contact REBEL SIM CARD ? Or was it too late in the day? either way keep us posted...
    glenwatkins, what network are you using the RSC with?

this really isn't looking good now... did you have a chance to contact REBEL SIM CARD ? Or was it too late in the day? either way keep us posted...

Was using it on T-Mobile, I have contacted the team at Rebel, but nothing yet
    Perform a reflash of the firmware?
    I presume you know how to do this?
    What is required in order to be able to do it? ....naturally thinking ahead in case I or others have to do something similar... some step by step guides would be good (but obviously there is no obligation!).
    Done and working again.

They sell a usb sim card programmer, just plug it in, download the software and hit go. 10 minutes back in the Crackberry with the RSC to choose mode 1 and then a few minutes in the Pre on Roaming, a few more on G and hey presto, back to 3G.

When I spoke with the earlier they said they have people using an original RSC on 1st gen iPhones.

It could just be that I kept taking it out to fiddle with it. I would be interested to see how many others have any issues after a few weeks. An unlocking store said the RSC was good until the contacts became oxidised. May be something to do with it if I kept taking it out and handling it / exposing to air/light/whatever.

Lesson learned - stop fiddling!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesog View Post

Mine generally keeps a good 3G connection here (on the south coast).
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwatkins View Post
    I've not noticed any issues with my 3G coverage in SE1 - I live in LBG and walk pretty much everywhere, and not had any issues with coverage....

That sounds exactly the same as what happened with mine yesterday. I got the 'too many cards open' error and restarted the phone. When it restarted i got the enter unlock code screen.

I put my T-Mobile sime back into my Crackberry and it was fine, but the T-Mobile sim with the Crackberry (locked to t-mobile) would not read the Sim (it just said invalid sim).

Is this the same as you are having?
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    Done and working again.

They sell a usb sim card programmer, just plug it in, download the software and hit go. 10 minutes back in the Crackberry with the RSC to choose mode 1 and then a few minutes in the Pre on Roaming, a few more on G and hey presto, back to 3G.

When I spoke with the earlier they said they have people using an original RSC on 1st gen iPhones.

It could just be that I kept taking it out to fiddle with it. I would be interested to see how many others have any issues after a few weeks. An unlocking store said the RSC was good until the contacts became oxidised. May be something to do with it if I kept taking it out and handling it / exposing to air/light/whatever.

Lesson learned - stop fiddling!
    Awesome news mate! Well done!
    (..as I breath a huge sigh of relief, my RSC was dispatched today and Pre will be here on Thurs)

Good to hear the RSC has a decent lifespan (well, according to the vendors themself )

Enjoy your Pre - happy days
    Im having issues with my Rebel also.

Every couple of days it loses carrier and I get a message Check Sim-SOS Only. I thought that it might be that the Rebel wasn't seated properly but a reboot of the Pre brings everything back OK without me ever having to open the phone.

It happened twice while I was driving so I though it had something to do with moving between bad signal areas but this morning when I awoke it had lost carrier again...maybe the mobile phone company switched off service during the night for a period and the Rebel wasn't able to find a signal again.

I'll keep an eye on it but if an IMEI unlock appears, Ill be going with it.

Gx
    Last edited by Griffinx; 11/17/2009 at 06:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffinx View Post
    <snip>
    but this morning when I awoke it had lost carrier again...maybe the mobile phone company switch off service during the night and the Rebel wasn't able to find a signal again.
    </snip>
    You would bloody hope not, right??
    Wouldn't think any of them do that!!
    You would bloody hope not, right??
    Wouldn't think any of them do that!!
    I think they do...if they are doing maintenance or upgrading a cell, service might be interrupted for a brief period.

Gx
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Hmm... interesting.
    In any case, please keep us updated on the status of your RSC and how its performing. The only way we can gauge its life expectancy (and workarounds, fixes, etc.) is from the likes of you and Paul of have been the earlier adoptors of the solution.
  20.    #260  
    Just for the record, and to balence the thread out a bit, I've had no trouble WHATSOEVER with the RSC.

I put it in, and it worked, I haven't taken it out, restarted the phone and switched to aeroplane mode a number of times and have never managed to generate any of the issues others are having. Note that I also haven't flashed to 1.21 or 1.3, I'm running 1.1.3, which updated from 1.1.2 before I inserted the rebel.

I got the RSC on Saturday 31st October, so this is 2 1/2 weeks.

It's worth bearing in mind that people using ther RSC and having no trouble are probably not posting in this thread - why would they?