Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    I have just updated to WebOS 1.2.1 for the second time in 2 days and the results are not promising.

Searching for network > Phone offline > Searching for network > Phone offline > Searching for network > Phone offline > Searching for network > Phone offline > Back to 1.1.3 we go.

This time, an O2 contract sim *did* work on 1.2.1 but the RSC on T-Mobile *did not* work.

I cannot think why this would work on O2 but not RSC/TMobile.

Any ideas anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by paulhelyerpre View Post
    I have just updated to WebOS 1.2.1 for the second time in 2 days and the results are not promising.

Searching for network > Phone offline > Searching for network > Phone offline > Searching for network > Phone offline > Searching for network > Phone offline > Back to 1.1.3 we go.

This time, an O2 contract sim *did* work on 1.2.1 but the RSC on T-Mobile *did not* work.

Any ideas anyone?
    No idea - I did, briefly have Sprint 1.2.1 on mine and the Virgin SIM + RSC gave the same results as 1.1.3.
    Global Posts
    393 Global Posts

Any ideas anyone?
    I wonder if this will have any implications with regard to future WebOS updates...
    Hopefully (in a good way) this issue is only present because the UK aren't entitled to anything newer than 1.1.3 ...and not because of anything to do with REBEL SIM card.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    No idea - I did, briefly have Sprint 1.2.1 on mine and the Virgin SIM + RSC gave the same results as 1.1.3.
    Are you in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by c_man View Post
    I wonder if this will have any implications with regard to future WebOS updates...
    Hopefully (in a good way) this issue is only present because the UK aren't entitled to anything newer than 1.1.3 ...and not because of anything to do with REBEL SIM card.
    Fingers crossed
    Are you in the US?
    North-East England.

I did notice that the 1.2.1 update contained an update for the modem which could modify the baseband processor firmware. If it does this in future - this is the bit that will stop the Rebel Sim working - just as it did on iPhone until they patched the RSC again.
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalla99 View Post
    North-East England.

I did notice that the 1.2.1 update contained an update for the modem which could modify the baseband processor firmware. If it does this in future - this is the bit that will stop the Rebel Sim working - just as it did on iPhone until they patched the RSC again.
    Gutted. I really want 1.2.1 now Never mind, hopefully 1.3.1 for Europe will be around shortly and will not screw up the RSC.
    Paul - my 1.2.1 installation didn't seem to have any new problems with RSC though - it still worked, but just in the same limited way it did in 1.1.2 or 1.1.3 for me - which is probably down to low signal strength in my area.

It would be worth checking the entries in the 1.1.3 and 1.2.1 Carrier Databases to see if that's the source of your problem though.
    I have both a universal (worked at first but ended up with roaming only) and a mode x which I had to cycle from mode 1 - 7 and back to 1 for it to work.

With the Mode x RSC I saw the RSC menu when I chose to show all on my Blackberry menu, and the icon replaced the Network Services (?) icon. The Universal did not have this option and I was unable to change modes.
    No luck - Strange thing has now happened, when I stick the T-mobile SIM back into my crackberry, it is locked to the 02 network and won't let me manual roam at all. Stick it back in the Pre and get the same roaming issue.

Did they send you two RSC's? I only got one, which I am guessing is the universal as it does not have an mode to cycle through, even with all 'show all' ticked on my BB.

My Pre is playing up anyhow, so its going back.... the space key has stopped responding, but 02 are out of stock so will probably have to wait a while now.
    I am not sure if you can activate it while roaming (I am in the UK). You cannot activate it using the Rebel Sim and a non-O2 sim card. I remember reading about a way of bypassing the activation (Bilsta57's Official Blog*|*Bryce aka Bilsta57's Blog: Technology Reviews, Unboxings, Hacks, Downloads and More) but have *not* tried it myself so cannot vouch for it.

Once activated the Rebel Sim should work fine.

This URL looks a bit more professional/reliable rwhitby.net : The WebOS Internals Meta-Doctor but again, no guarantee implied by me..
    Up and running after a long night! I managed to meta-doctor my Pre, but it didn't allow me to do it from my Vista machine. I had to do it from another PC with XP. I have also now been able to activate the phone and set up a Palm profile. However, phone connection is a bit shaky and I haven't managed anything other than roaming with my operator (Telia) despite trying two different Rebel SIM cards. So voice/SMS is working, but not data. Sometimes I get no network connection at all. Could it be that my Rebel SIMs are in the wrong mode and if so, can I find out which mode they are in from the Pre?
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Gutted. I really want 1.2.1 now Never mind, hopefully 1.3.1 for Europe will be around shortly and will not screw up the RSC.
    I know that I definitely wanted 1.2.1 when I first read about it. Now, too scared that I will read it and weep, I'm not even going to look to see what I'm missing as I try to get used to 1.1.3 and the Pre in the first place. I'm really happy, but feel like I'm constantly holding my breath that the RebelSIM connection will be broken/just stop working. It's a little nutty. I sort of hope that a true code unlocking solution emerges around the same time as the next update - that way RebelSIM can drop out of the equation altogether! Any progress on that front? Paul...? Anyone...?

I have both a universal (worked at first but ended up with roaming only) and a mode x which I had to cycle from mode 1 - 7 and back to 1 for it to work.

With the Mode x RSC I saw the RSC menu when I chose to show all on my Blackberry menu, and the icon replaced the Network Services (?) icon. The Universal did not have this option and I was unable to change modes.
    How do you know which RebelSIM you have? Is it on the packaging? Is one definitely, decidely better than the other?

Last question for now...
    I know that the reception in my office is NOTORIOUSLY bad. Even with my old phone it was as well. If the Pre shows "R" periodically, what does that mean for me, exactly? This seems like such a simply obvious question, but what is it that I could be being charged for when the Pre shows "R" as opposed to my normal "E"?

Thanks much - as always!
    How do you like the support I get from Rebel SIM (see chat conversation below)?

PreSales Support: hi
    Me: Hi, I am still struggling to get rebel on Palm Pre to work
    Me: I get unable to connect to network, wether I chose manual or auto network connect
    Me: i have tried to reset network keys by switching to another network with the sim in another phone
    PreSales Support: np send the sim back
    Me: when i connect to Telia (I'm in Sweden) on another phone and then put it back into Pre with rebel, I get it working with roaming sometimes, but not always
    Me: it also says Telia Telia in the upper corner of the phone
    Me: it seems as if there is no way to change rebel mode from Pre
    PreSales Support: use 7 day money back option
    Me: do you mean it doesn't work with the Pre or are both of the rebel sims I got faulty?
    PreSales Support: its working fine for 100 of people
    PreSales Support: we have helped you as much as we can with support
    Me: then it should for me as well
    Me: I am not sure I understand. Only help I get is to return sim...
    PreSales Support: already advised what to do befroe
    Me: ?
    Me: the support person i chatted with yesterday said you would send me a new sim, is that still valid?
    PreSales Support: we ent 2 already
    Quote Originally Posted by allyn274 View Post
    Last question for now...
    I know that the reception in my office is NOTORIOUSLY bad. Even with my old phone it was as well. If the Pre shows "R" periodically, what does that mean for me, exactly? This seems like such a simply obvious question, but what is it that I could be being charged for when the Pre shows "R" as opposed to my normal "E"?

Thanks much - as always!
    R = Roaming
    E = EDGE

Roaming: A service offered by wireless network operators that allows subscribers to use their mobile phones while in the service area of another operator - If Youre out of O2's signal range say, youll be "transferred" to use another networks service in range whom o2 have an agreement with to provide you, so youre never out of service. Not really an expert so correct me if im wrong.

EDGE: (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution) or EGPRS provides data transfer rates significantly faster than GPRS or HSCSD - Basically faster than a 2G (GSM) connection, but not as fast as 3G (3.5G)...Also known as 2.5G

Sorry not sure what roaming means to you however, why not try playing around with the settings, turning roaming off, turning to 2G only, 2G only etc...See what results they give. You might also want to try it outside thus the better connection and results.
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    R = Roaming
    E = EDGE

Roaming: A service offered by wireless network operators that allows subscribers to use their mobile phones while in the service area of another operator - If Youre out of O2's signal range say, youll be "transferred" to use another networks service in range whom o2 have an agreement with to provide you, so youre never out of service. Not really an expert so correct me if im wrong.

EDGE: (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution) or EGPRS provides data transfer rates significantly faster than GPRS or HSCSD - Basically faster than a 2G (GSM) connection, but not as fast as 3G (3.5G)...Also known as 2.5G

Sorry not sure what roaming means to you however, why not try playing around with the settings, turning roaming off, turning to 2G only, 2G only etc...See what results they give. You might also want to try it outside thus the better connection and results.

I've definitely seen that anywhere other than my office, I have better connection - I totally understand that. I just wondered if anyone knew if when you're Roaming with the Pre, you're being charged significantly with each passing moment. Are you still able to use data functions when roaming without being charged exponentially more?

Thought I would check before calling T-Mo and potentially raising a flag with them, giving them reason to wonder about my account! Thanks for the message, though...
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    R = Roaming
    E = EDGE

Which they don't actually have in the UK as far as I am aware - so I'd be wondering a) where are you roaming to? and b) what's it going to cost?
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Which they don't actually have in the UK as far as I am aware - so I'd be wondering a) where are you roaming to? and b) what's it going to cost?
    I'm actually in the US on T-Mobile.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'm actually in the US on T-Mobile.
    Well no problem then!
    Global Posts
    404 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Well no problem then!
    No problem with roaming?
    I know that I definitely wanted 1.2.1 when I first read about it. Now, too scared that I will read it and weep, I'm not even going to look to see what I'm missing as I try to get used to 1.1.3 and the Pre in the first place. I'm really happy, but feel like I'm constantly holding my breath that the RebelSIM connection will be broken/just stop working. It's a little nutty. I sort of hope that a true code unlocking solution emerges around the same time as the next update - that way RebelSIM can drop out of the equation altogether! Any progress on that front? Paul...? Anyone...
    I will do the rounds tomorrow to chase up the companies I have spoken to so far. Watch this space.

I am confident about the RSC. Hopefully 1.2.1/1.3.1 won't screw it up.

How do you know which RebelSIM you have? Is it on the packaging? Is one definitely, decidely better than the other?
    Mine had the packaging marked, one R Univ (assuming Universal) and one RM1 (assuming preprogrammed to Mode 1)

Last question for now...
    I have had the R (assuming roaming) icon a few times but do not ever remember seeing an E icon. I have seen R, G and 3G on mine.

Looking onto the online billing of my T-Mobile account I have been billed 9.16 over my voice allowance (Voicemail, 0845 and a small amount for data). based on this, I am not concerned that I have been billed any more when 'roaming'.
    Thought I would check before calling T-Mo and potentially raising a flag with them, giving them reason to wonder about my account! Thanks for the message, though...
    I have spoken with T-Mobile and told them I am using the Rebel Sim Card with the Palm Pre (also funny to see the O2 shops faces when they looked at the T-Mobile logo and the T-Mobile sim with a hole punched in it).

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $is$ $nothing$ $about$ $doing$ $this$ $in$ $their$ $terms$. $You$ $are$ $not$ $welching$ $on$ $your$ $contract$, $you$ $are$ $still$ $paying$ $them$, $you$ $are$ $just$ $using$ $a$ $different$ $phone$ $to$ $do$ $it$.
    Last edited by paulhelyerpre; 11/03/2009 at 04:34 PM.
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast