Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    A phone geek friend of mine has an app called IM+ From Shape Services for the BB. IM+ All-in-One Messenger, IM+ for Skype for iPhone, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Android, Palm

This company seems to have a long history with the Palm OS, and now as BB and iphone apps.

Their latest beta allows you to dictate an audio message, it sends it to services running Nuance (Dragon Naturally speaking) software and supposedly turns it around back to you as text within 5 to 10 seconds for you to IM or email.

I've always dreamed of this capability to allow you to safely respond to email in the car.

Doesn't appear from their website they are working on Pre Apps (what else is new....) and of course since you can't even make a voice recording app on the Pre due to the locked down SDK, I guess we won't see one anytime soon.

Any suggestions beyond praying or eventually switching to Android due to a much more native SDK environment?
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    nope
    Wait. Seriously? Am I understanding you correctly?

You want an app which converts voice to text so that you can speak aloud messages to your phone, which then sends these messages, for recipients to read?

You want to talk into your phone, instead of typing into it, as a means of communicating with friends or colleagues... and you're asking if functionality like this exists?

I... I'm just so confused. Alexander Graham Bell would be rolling in his grave if he knew there was actually a market for this.

Edit: Or, to be brief, if you want to communicate with people using your voice, call them. I'm pretty sure the Pre does still support such a thing, archaic as it may sound.
    Last edited by je255j; 10/21/2009 at 01:52 PM.
    Ya...this has become an epidemic. Some people are to hip to use the phone as a phone it seems.
    Google Voice does this now. Any Voice Mail received is converted to a text file and delivered as an SMS message or email, or both. My wife has a German accent, but it did a fair job of converting to text in spite of that; it converted the word "cigarette" to "fifty-eight", otherwise getting everything right.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by je255j View Post

You want an app which converts voice to text so that you can speak aloud messages to your phone, which then sends these messages, for recipients to read?

You want to talk into your phone, instead of typing into it, as a means of communicating with friends or colleagues... and you're asking if functionality like this exists?

I... I'm just so confused. Alexander Graham Bell would be rolling in his grave if he knew there was actually a market for this.

Edit: Or, to be brief, if you want to communicate with people using your voice, call them. I'm pretty sure the Pre does still support such a thing, archaic as it may sound.
    In certain states, texting while driving is illegal. If you had an important text to send while driving this would be useful.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

I understand where your coming from and have made jokes of people texting on a T9 versus making the call.

Unfortunately, alot of communication is text (like why aren't we know on a conference call on this forum versus texting??). I would love to reply to email by voice in a relatively reliable way. Google Voice (similar to what Vonage has had for a long time) is good for inbound voice to text, but I want to outbound voice to text and do so in a way that's at least as convenient as typing and safely usable while driving.

First guy to do this is gonna make some nice dough.
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Vlingo on the blackberry does this too--- and I loved it while driving.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    In certain states, texting while driving is illegal. If you had an important text to send while driving this would be useful.
    Texting while driving should be illegal in all states. And even if it's not, no one should be do it anyway. That being said, I cannot imagine needing to send a text instead of a (hands-free, of course) phone call.

Phones were designed to carry voices. That's their first and foremost reason for existing.

The idea that technology has advanced to the point where we can send text/data using our phones is great, but the idea that we should be figuring out ways to use our voices to send text over a device originally conceived to carry voices is just ridiculous.

If you want to use your voice to communicate, speak to your recipient, not some app.
    If it makes driving safer..why argue against it.
    Texting while driving should be illegal in all states. And even if it's not, no one should be do it anyway. That being said, I cannot imagine needing to send a text instead of a (hands-free, of course) phone call.

Phones were designed to carry voices. That's their first and foremost reason for existing.

The idea that technology has advanced to the point where we can send text/data using our phones is great, but the idea that we should be figuring out ways to use our voices to send text over a device originally conceived to carry voices is just ridiculous.

If you want to use your voice to communicate, speak to your recipient, not some app.
    There are situations where the recipient can't talk on the phone but can receive a text. I have a friend that's a supervisor on a factory floor and it just isn't feasible to talk on a phone, but texting/emailing is perfectly fine.

And nevermind the driving, perhaps the sender has a disability that makes texting exceptionally difficult. Or the recipient may be hearing impaired.

Don't be so short-sighted because you don't see a use; there are plenty of reasons out there for speech to text.
    many reason I can think of. Like I could be speaking into my phone instead of typing this on my phone. And for the people who put the idea down, if there phone had this feature they would use it. I'd like to see it work for txting, email, and even on this forum. Its all a matter of being able to type with your voice. That's not a stupid idea. I think it brilliant. Would be great in the car, or maybe for people who can't read or right but can speek. What is it with people putting ideas down on here without thinking them out.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I have been using this service called jott.com for two years now. yes you have to pay, but its something like 30.00 for a whole year. I call a number with my speaker phone using blue tooth and say the name of the person I want to contact. I then speak my message and it coverts it to a text and sends the person either an sms or an email or both of the transcript. I have found it to be about 95%+ accurate. This takes care of texting while driving for me. I can read the text quickly and if i want to text back, simply call jott. you guys should check it out at jott.com. and just incase there is any question, I have no affiliation with them or any parent company, or anything like that!
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

what about mass texts? obviously you can't call more than 2 people at the same time, in which case this would come in handy. it's not a necessity, but hey, i bet you'd use it if it was available.

same principle as voice recognition...all these tools are here to make communication faster and more efficient, why diss it?
    Last edited by leroove; 10/21/2009 at 07:28 PM.