View Poll Results: Tea, Vicar?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Earl Grey please, old boy.

6 75.00%
  • No no, I'll be up all night

2 25.00%
  1.    #1  
    I bought a Pre on the day of its release in the UK. I am extremely happy with the phone - yes it could be snappier and the hardware could be improved. But I like the fact that this is a young product with so much potential for improvement. I come from the BlackBerry Bold which is in the opposite situation - it has hit a ceiling in terms of software that it cannot pentrate without a huge redesign from the ground up.

Unfortunately I don't have time to write a proper review for the device, but I will say that it meets my expectations, particularly when coupled with homebrew and patches (many of which unfortunately will not work til the WebOS1.2 update later this year).

One specific niggle (which incidentally is negligable and will be fixed soon I'm sure) is the lazy america-UK dictionary transition. Every time I write the word 'check' the Pre autocorrects to 'cheque' which yes, is correct but not in 90% of cases. (Darling go and cheque on the kids please...!?) also 'Jail' auto corrects to 'gaol' which is a spelling that I assure you we Brits haven't used for a good 100 years!

That's more an amusing observation, it certainly hasn't detracted from the phone overall. I'm very happy with it and look forward to the next hardware iteration and software updates.
    On the subject of US/UK translations as I have mentioned elsewhere I was particularly amused that they bothered to translate 'airplane mode' to 'aeroplane mode' but I am concerned that if they keep changing the names of features between regions we are going to run into problems just disiussing them with our transatlantic cousins. What next, 'ePost'?

I should probably add that I am very happy with this device having waited so many months for it. I have installed fileCoaster in order to get the homebrew apps but other than that decided to steer clear of patches at least until we are in sync with the US firmware version. There's nothing in the tweaks that I would particularly want so I can wait for them to become official, however long that takes.
    The thing that really gets me is the no sign. That's just plain insulting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zischke View Post
    press SYM then scoll to the bottom, bottom left is a pound sign
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    It's to get you guys prepared for the Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by Zischke View Post
    The Treo's were the same. Just press 'Sym' then '$' and you get an on screen choice of all the currency symbols.

Can't say I am surprised and I would rather have $ on the keyboard as it is a symbol that is used far more frequently when entering code etc. For the odd time when I actually want the currency the Sym key does the job just fine. If you look at a standard UK keyboard you will find it also has the $ key (and on another key) for the same reason.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    What kind of code are you entering on your Pre? Seems to me that there is more chance of using your local currency symbols on the device rather than whipping up your latest programming masterpiece?
    Quote Originally Posted by gAnDo View Post
    What kind of code are you entering on your Pre? Seems to me that there is more chance of using your local currency symbols on the device rather than whipping up your latest programming masterpiece?
    I regularly send code snippets by email for work. Mostly PERL and shell scripts in my case but the same would be true for other languages. I also edit some XML/HTML via the web browser but that is less often.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Fair enough. I had images of you sitting there rattling away 1000's of lines of code, while your full size keyboard sat next to you looking all sad and lonely :P