1.    #1  
    I must plug my Pre into the car charger with the Pre turned ON and wait 5 seconds for the "Charging" alert. If I don't do this, it does not charge, even though it's plugged in! Is this how everyone else's works? It's pretty annoying, and I would think if everyone had this problem there would be a lot of talk about it, but I haven't found any yet.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Do you have the official Pre charger from Palm? I originally bought the generic Sprint micro USB car charger but had to turn my phone off, plug in, then turn it back on in order for it to charge. I brought it back and purchased the Palm charger which works for me without any issue whatsoever. Plug and charge. I rarely turn my Pre off, so I can't speak to the behavior of charging while power is off.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinDow View Post
    I must plug my Pre into the car charger with the Pre turned ON and wait 5 seconds for the "Charging" alert. If I don't do this, it does not charge, even though it's plugged in! Is this how everyone else's works? It's pretty annoying, and I would think if everyone had this problem there would be a lot of talk about it, but I haven't found any yet.
    yeah, i have a knockoff charger and somtimes i have to keep plugging and unplugging it to get it to charge, maybe it works better with the palm car charger, but im not gonna pay to find out
  4.    #4  
    First, to clarify, when I say off I mean asleep with the screen off, not completely powered off.

Yes, I have a non-Palm Cigarette Adapter. (It is truly a wonderful with a USB jack and a headphone jack, and it broadcasts FM so I can listen to Pandora or whatever in my car, and it was quite affordable at Fry's).

When I plug my sleeping Pre into my computer it does wake up. When I plug my sleeping Pre into my car, it does not wake up and does not charge. If I plug my awake Pre into my car it alerts me it is charging after 4 seconds and works great.

Would someone please plug their sleeping Pre into their Palm-brand car adapter and tell me if it wakes and also if it's charging.

I love my cigarette adapter too much to replace it just for this reason, so I'll surely just remember to wake it and wait 4 seconds whenever I want it to charge through it.

By the way, I also bought a 3' USB-to-micro for a few bucks from NewEgg so I could have wires both at my computer and in my car, and it works exactly the same as the Palm one in all situations, plus it's shorter for my car.
    Yup, same problem. I bought a cheap auto charger at Amazon.
    I have the charger that came with the Walmart/Let's Talk deal. works fine for me
    I have the same problem. I bought a Motorola charger from Amazon.
    The official Palm Car Charger does wake it up and chargers instantly, no matter if youre using it alone or with a Touchstone (I can verify both). Lesser chargers usually require more than the plug-n-charge nature of the official Palm Charger.
    i use a balack and decker powee invdrter from walmart witha usb plug. works awesomeand charges just as fast as the wall charger...20 bucks and has a plug if you ever need to charge your computer or someting on the go. I am interested in yours though. Sounds cool..what is fry's?