Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    First off kudos to the homebrew folks. You make the pre worth while. I just downloaded the slide to hang up when in calls patch. It makes the phone function that much easier. I find that pushing the buttons to answer and end calls is not responsive as I would like. Sliding out the keyboard to answer calls and sliding it closed to end calls is genius. I would recommend the patch to everyone.
  2. gemrookie's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #2  
    how do I get it? I've done some patches with the web os installer but don't know how to incorporate that with preware...?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by gemrookie View Post
    how do I get it? I've done some patches with the web os installer but don't know how to incorporate that with preware...?
    I couldn't tell you word for word but you can search for the instructions on how to install preware. If you have webos quick install youre more than half way there. Here is a youtube link that may help too

  4. #4  
    Does everyone but me open the slider when talking on the phone? I just don't see the utility of this. I'm glad it's been developed, because I'm glad development is happening. I guess I'm just curious how many people are opening the phone in the first place.
  5. #5  
    I always open the phone to answer it, I find it more comfortable to talk on the phone while it is open. I would sometimes close the phone and forget to hit the end button. This patch is great...its exactly what I needed.
  6. #6  
    I hadn't heard. Thanks, I think I will like it. I sometimes miss the open answer, close end simplicity of my flip phones. Now I can snap the Pre shut to end a call, turning my head slightly to the side at the same time, for dramatic effect.

    Still too bad they didn't design the mic in the lower half, so opening it to make a call would put it closer to your mouth. I'll settle for the legend that the lower half, when extended, helps bounce my words back into the mic, producing a better outgoing sound quality.
  7. #7  
    I gotta give the best patch of the month to the two that fix the too many cards error and increase the speed of the Pre. At one point I had 24 cards open
  8. #8  
    Yeah, while I can see how this would be useful for some, I definitely always close the keyboard as soon as I'm done using it. If I universal search to make a call, I always immediately close the keyboard right after, so I'd be accidentally hanging up before calls even start.
  9. Diyhai's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #9  
    i dont get the hype surrounding this app
    its cool but........
  10. #10  
    The only time I have the phone open on a call is if it was open when the phone rang. I'd be scared with this patch that I'd open the slider during a call to type something in (maybe I'm looking up a contact for someone), and then slide it shut without thinking. But that's the sweet thing about these patches -- they solve problems for some people, and if you're not one of those people, don't install it

    Still gotta say LED notifications is the best patch.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yeah, while I can see how this would be useful for some, I definitely always close the keyboard as soon as I'm done using it. If I universal search to make a call, I always immediately close the keyboard right after, so I'd be accidentally hanging up before calls even start.
    This is all personal and subjective, but I just got into the habit of opening the phone when I make a call. I dial with it closed and then open it (one more thumb press, hold and slide) while waiting to connect.

    I like holding the open Pre as it becomes thinner, and placing my index finger on the back of the mirror is more comfortable. I'd also rather have people think I am on the phone rather than holding a polished river stone to my ear.
  12. #12  
    Won't say it's the best, but it's a useful patch as I tend to slide open the phone when I answer it.
    Sony Clie --> Tungsten t2 --> iPhone3g --> Palm Pre --> Droid
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by darreno1 View Post
    Won't say it's the best, but it's a useful patch as I tend to slide open the phone when I answer it.
    I suppose it all depends on how often you make or receive calls. I, for one, always talk with the phone open; it is simply more comfortable. I couldn't stand hitting the hang up bar and having to check to make certain the phone was hung up. Often I found myself pecking at the hang up bar repeatedly, before it would respond. Long story short...

    I love this patch! And I love all of the developers, who are working so hard to make the PRE extremely functional. I would not have kept the phone without them... that is 100% fact.
  14. tialoc's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    #14  
    Last night I installed Homebrew apps on my Pre for the first time. Followed all the instructions and things are GREAT! Except, tonight I got an invite for Google Voice and went to the AppCatalog to download gDial Pro.

    I was using the Palm AppCatalog and when I touched the link to download it, my Pre froze, so I rebooted and tried it again, same result, the Pre froze.. rebooted and this time went into Preware and was able to install the app from there -- it's an awesome app by the way -- which brings me to my question. If you have your phone setup to use homebrew apps, can you no longer use the Palm AppCatalog?

    Question 2: When Palm releases another update or there are updates to the apps already installed from the Palm AppCatalog do I need to do something with the Homebrew stuff? uninstall it?
    "You can't change people, only your reaction to them"
  15. glocky79's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #15  
    I think you have reached your app limit. The same thing happened to me so I installed the app limit fix. now no freeze-ups and more apps installed.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tialoc View Post
    Last night I installed Homebrew apps on my Pre for the first time. Followed all the instructions and things are GREAT! Except, tonight I got an invite for Google Voice and went to the AppCatalog to download gDial Pro.

    I was using the Palm AppCatalog and when I touched the link to download it, my Pre froze, so I rebooted and tried it again, same result, the Pre froze.. rebooted and this time went into Preware and was able to install the app from there -- it's an awesome app by the way -- which brings me to my question. If you have your phone setup to use homebrew apps, can you no longer use the Palm AppCatalog?

    Question 2: When Palm releases another update or there are updates to the apps already installed from the Palm AppCatalog do I need to do something with the Homebrew stuff? uninstall it?
    Install the Fair Dinkum Patch via Preware and App Catalog will no longer lock up.

    Technically when the App Catalog freezes, your Pre is still working it hasn't "frozen" because it's scanning all the apps you have installed through a slow method.
  17. #17  
    I just started using the slide open to answer feature of the phone because it is so difficult to answer the phone by sliding up the screen and I must say I like it soooo much better. I also like talking on the phone with the phone open as well.

    And now that I have added the Slide to End Calls patch, life is very good. It's funny the little things that continue to allow me to like my phone more and more.

Posting Permissions