1.    #1  
    ?
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    I wouldn't expect anything until after the first 'production ready' release or two of WebGL for webkit.
  4.    #4  
    does webgl for webkit have an approx date on it?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ariel M View Post
    does webgl for webkit have an approx date on it?

You can experiment with it now in the nightly builds. But "production" webGL has a mid-2010 target release according to their previous announcements.
    an opengl driver for our processor is being used in some form on the n900

however as stated before most programs on the pre are webkit css jsjsjs
    so we need to wait for webGL to work with our pre's for most things.

there is a chance that the gpu will be used for flash within the next few months
    I love all this WebGL talk. The Pre does not need WebGL to benefit from OpenGL, it just needs an expanded SDK, with native app support and expanded hardware access. Where everyone got this idea that the Pre couldn't or wouldn't get OpenGL until WebGL is beyond me, and frankly makes no sense. The Pre could benefit from WebGL, but there is no reason it needs it at this point in time.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I love all this WebGL talk. The Pre does not need WebGL to benefit from OpenGL, it just needs an expanded SDK, with native app support and expanded hardware access. Where everyone got this idea that the Pre couldn't or wouldn't get OpenGL until WebGL is beyond me, and frankly makes no sense. The Pre could benefit from WebGL, but there is no reason it needs it at this point in time.
    All said, I think the pathway to OpenGL through webGL, which would allow the capability with the current SDK, is more realistic. Especially if you see Palm's web app focus with developers these days. I think the appearance of a true native SDK with underlying C-support for OpenGL is a lot less likely to happen in the same timeframe. That would be a huge undertaking, and would have to be a longer term approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    All said, I think the pathway to OpenGL through webGL, which would allow the capability with the current SDK, is more realistic. Especially if you see Palm's web app focus with developers these days. I think the appearance of a true native SDK with underlying C-support for OpenGL is a lot less likely to happen in the same timeframe. That would be a huge undertaking, and would have to be a longer term approach.
    I somehow doubt adding C support to the Linux based WebOS would be any harder than adding both OpenGL and WebGL support.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    While I agree with your statement, I think clarification is in order.
    "huge undertaking" is directly proportionate to the amount of resources given.

In this case, PALM does NOT have the resources to tackle everything needed currently in regards to the WebOS, therefore they have assigned tasks based on importance, as noted by the regular and consistent upgrades to the OS.

Now Google, on the other hand, is dumping loads of resources into the 'droid OS and it shows. Version 2 here we come.....and I can guarantee by the time 2.0 hits people will be getting 2.1 betas and 2.5 will be on target to polish up any loose ends on v2.0.

To put it another way....
    - by the time Apple OS version 4 hits the iPhone/iTouch next year
    - Google will be on OS version 3 and it will be on par with everything the Apple OS does and more....the only difference will be the customization/look will be largely left up to the user
    - Palm will be on v 1.5 or 1.6 of its WebOS and only have about 1/3 the features of either the 'droid or Apple.....Multitasking will be done on the others already.
    some form will come, again not to the whole OS but particular programs perhaps?

adobe said they are working on it, and that it will be gpu accelerated.

check out

at around 5 min 20 sec
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I somehow doubt adding C support to the Linux based WebOS would be any harder than adding both OpenGL and WebGL support.
    C support is one thing. Anybody can build/install gcc for a linux box with a minimum of trouble. And compiling the OpenGL library is cake too. But wrapping it all with an SDK is not trivial. For one thing, you need to create the capability for an OpenGL view/context, tie it into a window manager that coordinates screen/buffer ownership with the rest of the OS, and then make it work in some sort of app bundle. That's the bare minimum needed to let us compile apps with OpenGL support (and I am surely skipping or glossing over steps). Then you'll want to implement the capability to create textures, etc, etc, etc -- all the other side stuff that is used with OpenGL.

If I look at all the infrastructure built around the OpenGL framework in the iPhone SDK, it's a pretty significant project.