1.    #1  
    Hello!

I’d like to open a thread for palm pre users who own German GSM Palm like me, but don’t belong to that lucky people that use only officially included languages during a day.

Is it a chance to tweak Palm pre to type in Russian (or others non official languages)?

Right now I’m thinking to wait for 1.2.1 (1.3) official update (common with US), becoming available to install on-screen keyboard and modify it (I don’t know how to do it yet, or is it possible even) for Russian/Ukrainian letter. So, finally I can use hard keyboard for English and virtual for Russian. Your suggestions?

Your advice how to type in Russian is highly appreciated.

Andrew.
    Last edited by dubiki; 10/20/2009 at 02:31 PM.
    Hi there

It's very easy to make a virtual keyboard theme in your own language (thanks emoney_33!).

So when the update comes, that's what you should do. Install virtual keyboard and make a Russian theme.
    I try to make russian keyboard but it don't show cyrillic symbols
    Unfortunately the fonts in the Pre does not contain all UNICODE character even if it stores and read UNICODE. If you want to do a quick check of the browser fonts in the Pre you can visit Samples of Unicode character ranges. I would very much want to have the Thai characters in the fonts. It is no problem to store a file on the USB part with Thai charactes. And the Pre will show the file, but it looks empty since the font does not contain Thai. So I guess that can be a problem when you skin the virtual keyboard.
  5.    #5  
    freeman, I also tried to make russian theme, but it just show "[]" blocks.. I'm communicating with virtual keyboard author to help me with this issue... if I find any solution, I'l post it))

andrew from Kiev)
    ок andrew...i'll be waiting foк you...i think need change font in all system of the Pre, but i have no ideas how make it
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have done it with Hebrew- just replace the fonts files you want with font files (off your desktop for example) which contain the language you want.
    I replaced batang.ttf - and I see Hebrew in the browser and contacts.
    Look the PreCentral forums for "Hebrew"- there's a thread about installing new fonts to the Pre (don't remember exactly where)
    Quote Originally Posted by sagipe View Post
    I have done it with Hebrew- just replace the fonts files you want with font files (off your desktop for example) which contain the language you want.
    I replaced batang.ttf - and I see Hebrew in the browser and contacts.
    Look the PreCentral forums for "Hebrew"- there's a thread about installing new fonts to the Pre (don't remember exactly where)
    It's right there above your post... ;-)
    Hi! Any news?
    I'm trying to make Cyrillic keyboard input, but unsuccessful. Can anybody help me? I've installed 'kbd' package, but nothing changed, I still have not ability to change keyboard layout.
    Shura, have you read this thread? (the link jumps directly to the place you might be interested in, and the next several posts. )

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...ml#post2108380

the technique described in that thread should accomplish allowing you to assign ANY output value to ANY keystroke.