Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Is there anyway i can manually switch my Pre from 3G roaming to 2G/EDGE ect as the area im living in at the moment has holes in the 3G coverage and the constant searching and switching between the two is eating my batt?

If there isnt do you know if "there is a patch for that?" , also would the patch run on GSM 1.1.3 or will i have to wait for 1.2.1?

Any help appreciated.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Hmm that homebrew code looks like it will try and let me change the carrier which i wouldn't want to do as i would get charged.

As some one mentioned in the above thread;

"If you live in an area with a weak Sprint signal, but a strong signal from another carrier, the Pre would normally connect to Sprint. The new option is "Roam Only", which forces the phone to ignore Sprint's network, and connect to the other carrier's network."

Not sure how your cellular plans differ in the states, but all i need is to switch off 3G roaming with o2-uk and force it to just use 2g/gprs/EDGE on o2-uk. Other GSM handsets i use have the toggle iphone/blackberry9000 ect
    I wouldn't try the toggle in that thread. It applies to the Sprint CDMA version of the Pre. Unfortunately, its possible that Palm left out the ability to disable 3G on the Pre. They left out the ability to manually configure the APN so it seems they may not want the GSM version too configurable.

BTW the AT&T version of the Blackberry Bold had the 3G toggle removed.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that even if roam only worked here in the UK it would result in no connection as the UK networks tend not to allow roaming between themselves. The only roaming we get is when we travel outside the UK and then the charges don't bear thinking about . I'm going to have to remember to disable data traffic altogether when I next travel around Europe, just picking up emails could end up costing 100s.
  5. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that even if roam only worked here in the UK it would result in no connection as the UK networks tend not to allow roaming between themselves. The only roaming we get is when we travel outside the UK and then the charges don't bear thinking about . I'm going to have to remember to disable data traffic altogether when I next travel around Europe, just picking up emails could end up costing 100s.

how do you turn off all data connections on the Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    how do you turn off all data connections on the Pre?
    That option will be available to you after the next software update.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootz View Post
    That option will be available to you after the next software update.
    LOL, that's what I was hoping. I won't need it until March so hopefully it will be available by then. If that fails I'll have to stick to aeroplane mode

BTW, anyone else amused to see that it is called 'Aeroplane Mode' on our models? Is this a consequence of the regional settings (if so, nice attention to detail) or an alternate OS version?
    Quote Originally Posted by FinaTk View Post
    Is there anyway i can manually switch my Pre from 3G roaming to 2G/EDGE ect as the area im living in at the moment has holes in the 3G coverage and the constant searching and switching between the two is eating my batt?

If there isnt do you know if "there is a patch for that?" , also would the patch run on GSM 1.1.3 or will i have to wait for 1.2.1?

Any help appreciated.
    There is an option to choose either 2G, 3G or automatic. If you go into the phone dialer then go to preferences from the top left then let it load a few seconds then go down to network type and choose 2G. Hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by PreUK View Post
    There is an option to choose either 2G, 3G or automatic. If you go into the phone dialer then go to preferences from the top left then let it load a few seconds then go down to network type and choose 2G. Hope this helps
    This is the answer the OP is looking for. There's no need to install any homebrew patches or anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    BTW, anyone else amused to see that it is called 'Aeroplane Mode' on our models? Is this a consequence of the regional settings (if so, nice attention to detail) or an alternate OS version?
    Aeroplane mode is something different: This turns off ALL network connections, including data and voice. So no talking, no intarwebz, but still all offline content.
    Quote Originally Posted by hux View Post
    Aeroplane mode is something different: This turns off ALL network connections, including data and voice. So no talking, no intarwebz, but still all offline content.
    Andyhurley was just jesting, we call aeroplanes...aeroplanes whereas americans call them airplanes
    I missed that point, don't know why. Thanks!

/edit: Yeah, crazy americans. They even use different coloUrs.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Already clicked the "thanks" button, but thought i would say in person (or as close in person the tinternet can get me :P )

So cheers!

Was driving me mad looking for it , should save me a bit of juice now!
    Andyhurley was just jesting, we call aeroplanes...aeroplanes whereas americans call them airplanes
    Thanks for pointing that out, I thought it would be obvious what I was getting at but clearly the language barrier is stronger than I thought.

On the more serious point, anyone know if that spelling change is part of the regional codes or do we have a special version of the firmware. Either way it seems an odd thing to have bothered with, after all we are used to dealing with 'color' and 'disk' so I'm sure we could have handled 'airplane'.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Just thought i'd post some results :

I used to get up at 6:30am for work so Pre used to come off charge about then, by 11am it would be on 67% and finally by 4:30pm it would be down to 20% and nearly dead.

Since switching to 2G only as i have access to wi-fi where i work and @ home, as well as merging some email acc's having one push and one 6 hour pull. Took it off charge this morning at 6:30am its now 17:20pm and after a day of fairly regular usage throughout im on 50% hurrah!
    A quick access to the 2G/3G toggle from the launcher (similar to http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/data-toggle) would be very appreciated here! Is there already a solution available?
    Quote Originally Posted by ddstc95 View Post
    A quick access to the 2G/3G toggle from the launcher (similar to http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/data-toggle) would be very appreciated here! Is there already a solution available?
    There's is a data toggle in the quick system tasks application if that helps
    Quote Originally Posted by ddstc95 View Post
    I did make a patch request actually regarding a quick 2G-3G toggle in the menu bar...subsequently no one listened =/

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...e-top-bar.html

Maybe if enough of our GSM users posted in the thread requesting we might get this feature
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-360 View Post
    I did make a patch request actually regarding a quick 2G-3G toggle in the menu bar...subsequently no one listened =/
    Time flies... there is now two standalone patches available here, which can be extended to cover other localizations than German:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...3g-toggle.html

Maybe this helps some searchers in the future...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast