Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have tried installing a couple apps recently, specifically The Weather Channel and Concert Finder.
    Both of these apps use GPS to locate.
    For me, the apps are getting stuck during the location procedure. I have tried rebooting the Pre, reinstalling the apps, turning on and off location services, but I keep getting the same results.
    Sprint Navigation is working fine. Also I have several other apps that are locating fine using GPS (Mobile by Citysearch, WHERE, Weatherbug)
    I have several patches installed. I'm wondering if anyone else is having similar issues.
    Thanks
  2.    #2  
    bump
    I am currently indoors and ran the weather channel app and it found my location right away. I haven't seen this occur on any other apps either. Can you provide a list of how you have each location services option set to (GPS, Auto locate, etc.) as well as which patches you have installed. This will help to try and replicate your issue.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I would imagine that for an application like The Weather Channel, it doesn't need an exact fix on your location, just the general area. That would most likely explain why it's able to quickly determine your location.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by azkevman View Post
    I am currently indoors and ran the weather channel app and it found my location right away. I haven't seen this occur on any other apps either. Can you provide a list of how you have each location services option set to (GPS, Auto locate, etc.) as well as which patches you have installed. This will help to try and replicate your issue.
    In location services, I have Auto Locate on, Geotag photos off, background data collection off.
    Patches installed are Virtual Keyboard, Message Forwarding, Messaging Timestamps, Battery Icon as Percent, Add Date - MM/DD, and 4X4 Icons v3
    I have the Package Manager Service, Diffstat and GNU
    I also have MyTether, Preware, and Filecoaster, along with a few other homebrew and catalog apps.

Thanks for any help!
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_K View Post
    bump
    18 minutes and you feel the need to bump it?

All apps that use location services work fine on mine. I have mine off so it prompts me each time and still works.

The 1 time I was having a problem with Sprint Nav., a reboot took care of it. But it would show my location on a map, but not find my location for driving directions. I'm sure thats just a screwy Spring Nav./Telenav issue.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JKTex View Post
    18 minutes and you feel the need to bump it?
    Actually, it was 12 hours, and 18 mins... probably still a little premature on my bumpage though
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_K View Post
    Actually, it was 12 hours, and 18 mins... probably still a little premature on my bumpage though
    So that's what those AM and PM things are?
    I'm having the same issue with Google Maps, Sprint Navigation and Trapster. They are all way off on my current location. It started this weekend.

While moving using Google Maps this weekend. It was not only way off, but updated very infrequently.

I have no patches.

I do have some homebrew apps installed.
    WORKING NOW!!!!

Note: GPS locate was not working for me in any apps.

I first removed recently installed apps. No change.
    Then, I updated from WebOS 1.2 to 1.2.1. No change.
    Looked in Location Services, Preferences, Locate Me Using, and unselected "Use Google Service". This left GPS as the only option selected.

After that, GMaps, Sprint Navigation, and Weather Channel app all worked.

I'm not sure how Google Service got selected or if its just the default. Anyone one know what Google Service uses? Cell towers?
    Been having issues with my locations being way off as well. I'm in Iowa and it keeps showing me as being in Kansas City in just about every app that uses location services. If I restart the offending app a couple of times it usually gets it right.

I'll try experimenting with the Google locations service too...
    I'm experiencing a problem where GPS won't work at all, or will work for less than 1 minute, then fail. I've only really noticed the problem in Sprint Navigation. Having had the phone less than 3 weeks, I still don't know what apps use GPS vs. Google Services with the exception of Spring Nav. Turning off, then on (either through Location Services or the prompt that comes up as Sprint Nav starts) GPS services doesn't get it working again, nor does a system restart. However, removing and then reinserting the battery pack seems to do the trick--at least for awhile (I think the last removal "took" for almost 10 days).

The only reason I ever tried that: During the activation process, I couldn't get EvDO to work. Not even the 1x indicator would show up--I'd get 4-5 bars of (non-roam) cellular signal but that was it. After several system restarts and resets (all the way down to factory defaults) with no success, they had me pop open the phone and remove and reinsert the battery, and EvDO has worked ever since.

The next time I run into this issue, I'll try shutting off Google Services first. Or fooling around with Airplane mode--though I suspect if a system restart didn't solve the problem, going back and forth between regular and airport mode isn't going to do anything.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Add me to the list of people who also recently started having issues with GPS not working correctly. I have all the same symptoms as previous posters have described. For what it's worth, I am in the greater Cincinnati, OH area.

I have WebOS 1.2.1 and haven't made any changes that should affect the use of GPS. Strangely enough, the GPS functionality was working perfectly as recently as this past Sunday (18th).

Hope this gets figured out soon... but I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one affected.
    I, too, am running 1.2.1. The phone arrived with 1.1, though, and I don't remember whether the problems started before or after I upgraded to 1.2.1.

It's weird. I can use "search near location" for businesses and GPS locates me and gives me driving distances. But then, even when I select a business and tell it to drive me there immediately after pulling up the list, that will fail. Immediately performing another search, the GPS kicks on and again gives me the distances, but "Drive to" fails again. Perhaps "Search near location" uses another location-based service and not the GPS? I have no idea.

Outright failure is also common. I'll manually enter an address and the GPS signal will never get picked up. Other times, it will find me, get a route, but then, within a minute, I see the little satellite with the red X and the corresponding "Your GPS signal is weak" audio. And that will be it for that session (and, as far as I can recall, any other session until I pop out the battery). I let it go once for over 2 hours and it never did pick up the signal again as I hurtled across Illinois on I-80. The other occupants in the car got sick of hearing her and called her very unpleasant names!

As with fritzk3, I'm glad to know it's not just me.
    As was mentioned earlier in this thread there is a bug in Googles Location Service that will screw with your location when you are in a building. Turn off the Google Location Service and all will be well.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I disagree about turning off Google to cure it. I turned off Google as was suggested, and still had the same problem.

What I want to know is why only SOME peole are having this issue. I figured people would be screaming about it on these forums.

if this doesn't get fixed soon I am going to try to get another Pre.

So frustrating...
    Very interesting...

I didnt have any CLUE that Google Service even existed! Maybe it uses the collection of data from your Google profile (ie iGoogle) and sets your zip based on your utilization of their services.

I did have the GPS problem a month ago (SprintNav and GoogleMaps) and I had to toggle the GPS settings to remedy the issue.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    OK friends... here's the fix:

In the phone app, dial ##GPS# (##477#), and then hit the Get Fix button. It should happen very quickly (less than 10 seconds).

After that Sprint Nav and everything else should begin behaving again... and you won't have to turn off Google Location Service, take out the battery, or any other nonsense.
    Turning off Google Location Services did not fully fix my issue. It seemed to, but I'm still occasionally having issues. Sorry for the false hope.

I'll try the last suggestion and keep you posted.
  20.    #20  
    I uninstalled the virtual keyboard and message forwarding patches, and suddenly the Concert Finder app was able to locate me. The Weather Channel however still cannot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast